Author Topic: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847  (Read 36173 times)

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 December 10 01:57 GMT (UK) »
I have checked my notes from the passenger & disposal lists.
The details from the trial etc, seem OK. He was 15, a tailor, on the pass. list.
The disp. list states that Thomas Brown went to work as a general servant with Rupert Simson of Geelong for 12 months at L22 p.a.
I'll have to visit the Vic library in Melb. to recheck.
Ken

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 December 10 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken & Rex

Just for your interest.
A book by Colin Dearnley states that the Joseph Somes after a fitout at Deptford sailed to Woolwich on 6 May 1847, where the guard and 165 exiles embarked (Millbank 81 and Pentonville 84).  On 18 May 1847, the ship sailed for Cowes, on the Isle of Wight, where a further 84 boys from Pankhurst embarked, giving a total of 249.  A royal pardon was granted to the exiles on 28 May 1847.  On 4 June 1847, the ship set sail for Port Phillip via Hobart Town. 

Regards
Maggie
McCarty (also known as Carter) Birmingham and Ireland . Griffin Birmingham and Gloucestershire UK.  Dainter Birmingham UK.  Gauntlett Birmingham, Devon, Herefordshire UK and Canada.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 02 December 10 04:22 GMT (UK) »
If you google in: Transportation on the Joseph Somes Russell Hudson 2006 (a rootsweb/ancestry site), you will find an interesting article, relevant to the present line of discussion.
It confirms that the ship visited Hobart town, arr. 9.9.1847, and a sick person, John Little, was put ashore. It continued on to Point Henry, arr. 24.9.1847.
At Point Henry, a Lt.Addis boarded the ship and read to the convicts the conditions of their freedom, at the same time advising them to head for the bush, as the residents of Melbourne & Geelong would not welcome them in the towns.
Ken

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 02 December 10 04:36 GMT (UK) »
JOHN little b1827 ex Joseph Somes was sent ashore sick at Hobart Town to hospital.He had been conviced of housebreaking.Received Pentonville 22 Nov 1845.
He was sentenced 14 Oct 1845 10 years Ken.Maidstone Quarter Sessions.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 02 December 10 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Was there a Richard Burke on the J. Soames, aged abt 20 ?
Ken

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 02 December 10 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Ken
No Richard Burke in my book.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Brown & Richard Burke
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 02 December 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Rex.
Richard Burke from Westmeath was a friend (or relative) of Thomas Brown. He also settled near Malmsbury Vic. and his son married a daughter of Thomas Brown.
There was a story in the family that Brown & Burke had come out together and 'jumped ship' in Tasmania, but it seems there was no Burke on the Joseph Soames.
I also received (off-line) nine references to John Brock of Mt. Macedon, two of which named some employees, but there was no mention of a Brown.
I'm sure I found on the disposal list that Thomas Brown had been employed by Rupert Simson of Geelong. I'll recheck.
Ken

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 02 December 10 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Ken
Malmsbury is not far from where I live (Gisborne Victoria).
Rex

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 11 December 10 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken
I have gathered a little information regarding John Brock to whom your man Thomas Brown was assigned at Mt Macedon as a shepherd.Unfortunately no reference to Thomas Brown.

John Brock came with his wife and three sons from Van Dieman's Land in 1836 and settled on land surrounding Bolinda and Emu Creeks.He built a sod hut but the next year he built the first bluestone house in the district.(I have a picture.)He leased several properties in the area.He died in 1856.
A small hill west of Romsey was named Brock's Monument.
The three Brock sons were Henry,Alexander and James.They had sheep imported from Tasmania.

Rex