Author Topic: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847  (Read 36059 times)

Offline ShellC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Soames (Exiles Ship ) 1847
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 September 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Tony,

Sorry for my delayed reply. Life got a bit frantic for a few days with guests staying, and since then I've been sick.

What a pity you don't have more on John Lee. It would be nice to know one way or another if this was the same person. I suspect not but don't have enough information to rule him out.

"My" John Lee was born in Sept 1822, so the age is off but I thought there may have been reason in the circumstances to lie about his age. His parents (from multiple BDMs) were Joseph Lee, a ship's carpenter, and Jane King. The family were in Ratcliff in 1819, and Haggerston in 1831. He had at least two siblings, Joseph and George. I have no details of his family after that time and haven't found them in the 1841 census - too many 'Joseph and Jane's to sort through.

I do know that John Lee was married in Geelong, Victoria, in July 1849.  He died in 1905, having been in Victoria for 59 years implying an arrival date of 1946.

Shelley

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 September 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Shelley,

I hope you are A1 again.

Interesting that on 20/05/1846 a John LEE disembarked from the "Joseph Somes" in Hobart, having been transported for 7 years from Doncaster.  After completing his servitude he sailed for Melbourne on 28/04/1852!!!   

Both Ratcliff and Haggerston are essentially North Easternly areas of London, so a trial at the Central Criminal Court is highly feasible, but the age is a considerable problem, even allowing for atrocious record-keeping in those days, especially ages.   Of course a lot of people only had vague ideas when they born!!
Then again did he tell a "fib", knowing that a younger age would earn preferential treatment in prison terms, such as Parkhurst, where there were no previous convictions to be taken into account, which he appears not to have had.   Sadly, it all seems a little tenuous though...... the age worries me. 

However, he must have arrived in Australia somehow and possibly the most fruitful sources to explore would be the Assisted/Unassisted arrivals records held by the PROV.

Do let me know.

For the moment,

Tony

Offline shannonamanda84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

I stumbled across this feed googling parkhurst exiles as i recently discovered i have a relative who was one, i was wondering what information you have on Thomas Matthews. Anything you have would be greatly appreciated as i have little on him before he came to Australia.

Thanks Amanda

Offline TaniaMatthews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 November 10 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

I am a descendant of Thomas Matthews from Joseph Soames Exile Ship.  Could you please share your informaton that you have so far on him.

Regards

Tania
Australia

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My ancestor James McCarty (born in Ireland) was sentenced to 7 years transportation for stealing an apple pie. He was tried at the  Birmingham court of 1/4 sessions on 9th January 1846.  The 'Australian Convict' index has him traveling on the 'Joseph Somes' in 1847 to Geelong.  As he was only 17 years old I presume he was a Parkhurst prisoner.  By the 1851 uk census he is back in the UK.  If you have any information or confirmation you can share about his voyage and time in Australia I would be very appreciative.

I have copies of the judges notes regarding his sentence as well as a newspaper article regarding his crime and capture.

Thanks
Maggie
McCarty (also known as Carter) Birmingham and Ireland . Griffin Birmingham and Gloucestershire UK.  Dainter Birmingham UK.  Gauntlett Birmingham, Devon, Herefordshire UK and Canada.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie,
What a fantastic coincidence. My great grandfather, also Irish, Thomas Brown of Westmeath, was tried at Qu. Sessions, Birmingham, on the same day, 9 Jan.
1846, and sent to Australia on the same ship, the Joseph Soames. (See Posts 5-6 this subject.)
This is very encouraging, because there was always doubt that the T. Brown on the J. Soames was Irish. It seems probable that a number of people left Ireland for England during and after the Famine.
This is a breakthrough. Thanks,
Ken

Offline maggiepeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply.  James McCarty was born in Ireland (possible Westmeath), but went to Birmingham around 1938 with his parents Malachi and Bridget and his four brothers John, Malachi, Michael and Thomas.  I have been trying to trace all their histories to confirm where they were born but haven't anything concrete yet.  I have been in touch with Malachi Jnr's descendents in Australia.  He apparently went to Melbourne of his own free will after his brother James returned to the UK.  I have been able to get Malachi Jnr's marriage and death certificate from Australia which states he was born in Westmeath, so maybe James was too - yet to be confirmed.

Thanks again
Maggie
McCarty (also known as Carter) Birmingham and Ireland . Griffin Birmingham and Gloucestershire UK.  Dainter Birmingham UK.  Gauntlett Birmingham, Devon, Herefordshire UK and Canada.

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maggie.
I would say that they all came from Westmeath. They may have known each other. Does it say which place in Westmeath?
Thomas Brown got 10 years exile for 'stealing from the person' (picking pockets.)
Where did you find the newspaper article ? It's no big deal to steal an apple pie. Surely picking pockets would warrant a few columns more !
If you need anything looked up in Australia, let me know.
Cheers, Ken

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tania,

Delighted that I managed to put you in contact with Phil Smailes and you were able to exchange details about Thomas MATTHEWS.    Hopefully this will include the Biography that Phil and I put together.

Should there be any other bits and pieces you would like, for instance about Parkhurst Prison itself, do please let me know.

For the moment

Tony

Hi Tony

I am a descendant of Thomas Matthews from Joseph Soames Exile Ship.  Could you please share your informaton that you have so far on him.

Regards

Tania
Australia