Author Topic: GAVEN/GAVIN or GARVEN  (Read 2788 times)

Offline GERC

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
GAVEN/GAVIN or GARVEN
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 10:14 BST (UK) »
My ancestors came to Manchester in the 1850's. They had a daughter Jane born June 1858 in Manchester so I know they came before that date. On the 1891 census my g grandmother Mary says she was born Galway, this could have been any time from 1845 to 1850 and could have been the city or the County. Her father was Patrick Gaven and her mother Mary Noon. She had a sister Bridget born c 1844/45 and a brother Andrew born 1842/43. I am going to Galway next week. I have searched the IFHF and Ancestry and LDS - is there any other resource that may help me?
Many thanks
Angela

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove excess capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<< , Reply #2 for explanation.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html
Schuhmacher
Jones
Nesbitt

Offline KFerraro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GAVEN/GAVIN or GARVEN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 April 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
I have a Michael Gavin born c1830+ from Co Galway, possibly from around Mount Bellew, married to a Bridget Dooley.   Known children Martin b1866, Bridget b 1869 and Anne born 1870.  Bridget's siblings and parents immigrated to Derbyshire, England between 1851 and 1861.  Bridget was said to have remained in Ireland.

Offline dragonq

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 16 02:05 BST (UK) »
Curious to know about the Dooleys of Mount Bellew. I'm descended from Catherine (Kitty) Nyland, née Dooley, who was born in Mount Bellew in 1815. Her daughter was also a Bridget: possibly she was your Bridget's cousin? Kitty and her husband John left Ireland after 1847 and were in Liverpool in 1851. By 1862 they were in Tottenham, in the Auckland Co. Durham area. John was a coal miner. Kitty Dooley Nyland appears to have died there in 1863.

Do you know the names of any other Dooley siblings?
Prior (Wolverhampton), Nussey (Yorkshire and London), Kilmartin (Co. Galway and Co. Durham), Clothier (Lambeth), Collins (Manchester)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
Be sure to visit Mount Bellew as it has a monument with all the family names that were evicted by the British landlords, there are Gavin's still living in and around the place.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland