Author Topic: HUGGAN,GEORGE c1824 Jedburgh,Rox.Scot  (Read 23733 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
HUGGAN,GEORGE c1824 Jedburgh,Rox.Scot
« on: Tuesday 29 March 05 03:40 BST (UK) »
GEORGE HUGGAN was born c1824 in Jedburgh Rox.Scot.Need his birth date!!
He married Jemima Rae in 1846 in Hawick,Rox.Scot..I think that she might have been born either in Wilton or Hawick c 1827.
They had 8 known children born between 1848 and 1869.The last child was Andrew SWAN Huggan.born 1869 in Hawick.
I believe that his "SWAN" name was either his father's mothers maiden name or his mothers mothers maiden name.
Does anyone have a clue on this?Are you researching this family?
One boy,George Huggan born 1855 married Elizabeth Richardson in 1879.
In 1855 this family lived at 37 Back Row,Hawick.
I would very much like to contact further descendent's of this family.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: HUGGAN,GEORGE c1824 Jedburgh,Rox.Scot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

28 Dec 1846
HUGGAN GEORGE
JEMIMA RAE
FR1467
Hawick
Reference Number - 789/00 0006

Found George's Death Cert but so far no luck on the birth cert do you want the info on it...

the Swan connection is his Mother.... Catherine Huggan nee Swan

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 05:33 BST (UK) »
Mo,
      WOW....I am impressed with your the quick response.!!!
Many thanks...and..yes I will take anything that comes my way.
Every tid-bit helps.

I did figure it had to be a maiden name,but,not sure which parents mother..now I know.
I already have put it in my records.
        Many thanks.         
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 05:34 BST (UK) »
Here are the details from the death cert

George Huggan ( Frame Work Knitter) widower of Janette Rae died October 21 1895 in Hawick

Father Thomas Huggan  Hotel Keeper
Mother Catherine Huggan nee Swan

Age 70 Cause of death was listed as Epilepsy for one day

Death registered by Thomas Huggan his son

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 05:50 BST (UK) »
Also found them in the 1871 census

George aged 47
jemima aged 44
Catherine aged 18
George  aged 15
James aged 13
Jemima aged 10
John aged 7
Andrew Swan aged 2

and also found the following:-

Jemima Huggan nee Rae died September 9th 1894 aged 66 the daughter of John Rae Wool Spinner and Margaret Rae nee Cunning.
Cause of death was Chronic Bronchitis for one month.

Death was registered by Andrew Swan Huggan son

best wishes

Mo

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 06:17 BST (UK) »
More thanks again to you Mo.That 1871 census was the only one I did not have in my records,had the 51',61'81', and 91'.
So that will fill in that blank spot.
George and Jemima had a son,James,and he married an Elizabeth Richardson.Elizabeth was the daughter of my gr gr grandparents.(John Richardson and Harriot Miller)
I have a picture of Harriot with her dau Elizabeth, and gr dau, and a grand child.
I am hoping to share this with a family member down the other branch of the tree.
Again,many thanks.

Offline Little

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Your GEORGE HUGGAN married JEMIMA RAE in Hawick, Roxburghshire on 28 Dec 1846. 

I believe your GEORGE HUGGAN had a brother, THOMAS HUGGAN, who married ELIZABETH STEVENSON.  I believe Thomas and Elizabeth had a daughter, CATHERINE HUGGAN, who married, ROBERT SMELLIE LITTLE.  Catherine and Robert are my great grandparents. 

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 May 05 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert,Ann here.Do you still have my email address.?Do you remember I might have spoke of a 4 generation picture,well I am a step closer to Id all members.

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 March 06 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am also researching this Huggan family,Thomas Huggan and Catherine Swan had 9 children,
Elisabeth born approx 1814,married Francis Allan,children unknown.
William born approx 1816 married Janet Scott,4 children,he died 1896.
Janet born approx 1819,married James Clark,1846,5 children,31 grandchildren,she died 1893,my branch.
Andrew born 1821 married Elizabeth Hogg,1880.he died 1902.Chelsea pensioner,
George born 1824 married Jemima Rae,1846.8 children.
Thomas born 1827 married Elizabeth Stevenson,1846.10 children,he died 1901.
John born 1829 married Agnes Brown,1854,5 children,he died 1868.
Catherine born 1831 married James Murray,1852,emigrated to Australia.
James born 1833 married Isabella Howieson,1854,10 children?,he died 1896.

If any of you would like details I am happy to share, at the moment I am trying to I.D. the Huggans from the 1901 census,Hawick and Wilton.
The children of Thomas and Catherine all appear to be born Jedburgh,most of the family are in Hawick by 1841,
Amanda.
Ontario,
Canada.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.