Author Topic: HUGGAN,GEORGE c1824 Jedburgh,Rox.Scot  (Read 23724 times)

Offline jansings4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HUGGAN,GEORGE c1824 Jedburgh,Rox.Scot
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 May 09 13:55 BST (UK) »
Amanda - I see you are in Ontario.  I have been researching the Huggan line that immigrated to Huron County.  Have you done any research on them?

I can also add;

George born 1855 married Helen Pettigrew 31st dec 1874,
Jemima born 1860 married George McArthur 31st dec 1887,
Andrew Swan Huggan born 1869 married Elizabeth Middlemass 8th Oct 1896.

from the family of James Huggan and Elizabeth Richardson married 1878 I can add;
dau Harriet Miller Huggan married James Riddell 15th dec 1899,Hawick,
son George Huggan married Mary Tearney 27th Jan 1905,
son Andrew Richardson Huggan married Mary Drummond Davidson 25th June 1915.

I would say the 1871 entry on Ancestry has been wrongly transcribed,

which branch are you connected to?

Amanda.

Offline mazzy32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 June 09 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm new to all this just did a web search and found the thread... I too have got back as far as Elizabeth Turnbull and William Huggan - my connection is that Thomas and Catherine had a son John (b 1828) who married Agnes brown in 1854 - my GGG Grandparents, one of their children Helen (aka Nellie b 1860) married James Jeffrey they had a daughter Agnes who was my G Grandmother. Have lots of dates and copies of most death certificates - also have some headstone transcripts from Wellogate and Oxnam cemetries where some of the HUggans are buried - am happy to e-mail to anyone interested... I think I also have William Huggan's Grandfather's death date but am trying to verify this.

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 June 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Welcome Mazzy...There are a few of us trolling for HUGGAN's.
What I have on James Jeffrey and Helen Huggan is as follows:

James Jeffrey born c 1858..marr Oct 31 1885 in Hawick to Helen Huggan born Sep 25 1860 in Hawick,dau of Agnes Brown and John Huggan.

6 Known children:
Agnes c 1887 Scot
John c1890 Scot
James 1891 Northumberland Eng
Thomas c 1896 Northumberland Eng
William c 1898 Northumberland Eng
Alexander Northumberland Eng.

Pleas feel free to correct or add to any of this info..
Do you know where James  1858 was born and his parents?
Be happy to know who Agnes marr.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline mazzy32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 07:13 BST (UK) »
James Jeffrey was born c 1854 in Kelso - I don't have a date yet but hoping to visit the local Records office next time I am 'Up North' - unless my mum gets there first!!! His parents were James Jeffrey and Agnes - unfortunately her name is too difficult to read... His father James was also a tailor and he died before the marriage in 1885 - the date on the marriage cert is Dec 31st 1885. My Great Grandmother Agnes Jeffrey (daughter of James and Helen Huggan) married John Sinton 3rd April 1909 - their first child was born on 5th April 1909 so they cut it fine..lol... she died in first qtr 1956 (currently waiting for her death certificate to arrive). Will try to post more info after school run!!!!

Offline jansings4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
Amanda - I got your personal message but can't figure out who to reply to it directly.  Please contact me privately at (*).

The Huggans who came to Huron County are a different line descending from Andrew Huggan, b 1767, Crailing, and his wife Isabella Robson.   Their grandson, Andrew, b. 1838, England, married Mary Rutherford.  After Mary's death Andrew & his children left Wilton and immigrated to Canada - to Wingham in Huron County.  I live about 40 minutes from there.

Haven't been able to link this line with the William Huggan/Betty Turnbull line as there is little easy access to records in the 1700s.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 09 June 09 17:19 BST (UK) »

Hi Ann,

my branch is from Thomas and Catherine's dau Janet who married James Clark,their son Thomas Huggan Clark married Isabella Smith in Hawick,Dec 25th 1874, their dau Janet Clark born 1st Sept 1887 married James Dodds 5th June 1914,Prestonpans.

Have not come across any Drinkwaters yet,

Amanda
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 18:40 BST (UK) »
Re the marriage in 1874 of George HUGGAN and Helen PETTIGREW, she came from a family of Ulster Presbyterians who arrived in Hawick from the Belfast area in the late 1830s. Her parents were Archibald PETTIGREW, woollen stockingmaker in Wilton, and Isabella MILLER. Helen's aunt Agnes PETTIGREW was my great-great-grandmother. She married James STEWART, another stockingmaker in Wilton.

Helen PETTIGREW's nephew John Millar PETTIGREW became managing director of Peter Scott, who are still in business in Hawick, manufacturing sought-after cashmere garments.

Archibald and Agnes had a sister called Sarah PETTIGREW who married James RICHARDSON (from Co. Antrim, not a Hawick RICHARDSON!), and another sister called Jane PETTIGREW who married James BLACKIE or BLAIKIE, yet another stockingmaker. They moved to Glasgow although Jane ended her days in Drumlanrig Square, Hawick.

The eldest of the PETTIGREW siblings, Daniel, married Abigail HAMILTON from Northern Ireland in 1835 and they moved to Beith, Ayrshire, where he was a master stockingmaker employing several men.

Harry

Offline rubyx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 September 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
George Huggan & Helen Pettigrew were my gg grandparents. I'm very interested in the Pettigrew line.Reading some of your posts I noted that you mention sisters of Archibald whom I knew nothing about. Any information you could share would be very much appreciated.
Rx

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 September 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi rubyx! Sorry not to have answered before, but my wife and I just got back this afternoon from a week's holiday in Spain, so I'm catching up with 22 emails.

I've put my Pettigrew researches, stretching back about 30 years, into an rtf doc. on this computer, and I also have a Pettigrew family-tree sent me by Bruce McCartney, who is descended from John Millar Pettigrew, brother of your Helen who married Geo. Huggan. If you want to email me at (*)  I will send you these docs. as attachments.

Always glad to meet another cousin!

Harry

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php