Author Topic: Little in Darver/Newtowndarver  (Read 2835 times)

Offline iplittle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Little in Darver/Newtowndarver
« on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:27 BST (UK) »
I've been able to trace my paternal line back to a William Little who married Catharine (sic?) Holtcraft (sic?)
in 1789 at Darver Parish. 5 or so successive generations from then were baptised and married in the Darver RC parish church.
The baptismal record for William does not give the forename of his father.

There are records of a William Little (RC) in Haggardstown in the same era
There are also records of a Will in the Dromiskin/Diocese of Armagh area as well as a listing of a William Little in the 1766 religious census (as a Protestant in Dromiskin). He appeared to live near Lurgangreen.

There are no records easily found at this stage for those with Little surname (and RC) in Darver or Drumiskin area.
Anyone know more about the Little's in this area and the history of religious persuasion/conversion, etc ?
The spouse in 1789 was listed as Catharine Holcraft.
There are Holdcrofts both in Dromiskin and Dunleer (and in the latter location to this day)
Another poster has indicated that the Dunleer Holdcrofts may descend from a Captain in the English forces who was Protestant (and orig. from Lancashire, England) and rewarded land (in Keyes Cross area)
in return for valiance, etc. He is said to have only arrived in Louth for the 1798 rebellion so I am wondering if the Holcrafts in Darver area (and listed as RC from at least 1789) are a distinct family with no connections to the Holdcrofts who live in Richardstown/Dunleer area.

I'd love to get more information.