Author Topic: SMITON / SMYTON / SMITEN family of Errigal Keerogue  (Read 9534 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SMITON / SMYTON / SMITEN family of Errigal Keerogue
« on: Wednesday 16 June 10 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi. I would love to hear from anyone who is looking for the surname of SMITON or any variation of it in Clogher.

I am doing my husband's family history and have found that his SMITON ancestors were living in the townland of ROUGH HILL, in the parish of ERRIGAL KERROGUE, in the barony of CLOGHER, county tyrone from the time of the Griffíth's valuation to the 1901/1911 censes.

Currens SMITON married Mary Ann Little at Ballygawley on 9 Jan 1852. He was resident at Rough Hill, and had the following known children: Stewart, Jane Anne, Currens, and Sarah.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SMITON / SMYTON / SMITEN family of Errigal Keerogue
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 07:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I am not involved with the name but I noticed a Curren Smiton of Roughill who died on 19 Feb 1891
is listed in the PRONI Wills Calendar. The will was proved by Joseph Wishart of Cullenbrone, Co. Tyrone.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 08:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
I was looking in there myself today, and saw the same record. I believe this would be the father Curran Smiton, who married Mary Anne Little.
Many thanks, Katharine.

Offline scotty665

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 June 10 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine,

I am so glad i saw this message on website. I have several certificates which may help you. I am doing research into my family ancestors from Co. Tyrone. My mum was a Smyton and what i have found is that the spelling changes down the years. I believe i can help you as i have numerous documents on different SMYTON/SMITON families.

Regards,

Scott

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 June 10 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi. Do you have anything on Currens Smiton? Look forward to hearing from you, and I would love any information you can give me on the name in Tyrone.
Katharine.

Offline scotty665

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 June 10 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine,

Do you know anything of a Robert Smiton from Ballygawley, Co. Tyrone? If you give me the rest of the week i will sort out all papers etc... relevant to your ancestors. Thank you for posting a message on our website www.smyton.net

Scott

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 00:20 BST (UK) »
No Scott, I don't really have anything on him. Although I did come accross Smyton's at Ballygawley and it is so close to Rough Hill townland that I imagine there must be some connection.
I have only been looking at the family for the last two weeks. I had my husband's great grandparents birthdates and names from their passport when the immigrated to Australia in 1925, but from the 1911 census, couldn't pinpoint them. It has only been since the 1901 was released online that I made the breakthrough.
That added with a couple of online bits of information, allowed me to get back to Currens SMITON who married Mary Anne LITTLE in 1852 (I think in Ballygawley). I have Curren's father as George SMITON.

I thought you might have been the Scott from the SMYTON website.

Hopefully we will be able to sort out where our lot fit in with yours. Katharine.

Offline scotty665

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 July 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine,

I was looking at some of my certificates last night and found a marriage certificate for Alexander Smiten on 26/10/1899. He married a Margaret Jane Scott in Dungannon. It is listed that Alexander's father is called Currans Smiten and he was a farmer. Also a few other ones stood out as well. I have a Stewart Smiton in a census living in Rough Hill and he was a Police Pensioner, Margaret Smiton is also listed as a Dressmaker and Mary Anne Smiton as a farmer with i presume her son Thomas Illegible as a farmers son. If i can get any more info for you i will let you know. I have more on the family of Robert Smiton also living in Rough Hill. Could Robert possibly be related to Currans Smiten do you think?

Scott

Offline mandy21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine & Scott,

I am very excited to see your posts.  My maiden name is Smiton.  I have been looking at old photos with my dad tonight and did some googling and found your posts.  I have a copy of a family tree my cousin did a few years ago.  It lists Curran Smiton as my great great great grandfather.  I have a family tree that only goes as far back as them.  I'm not sure where my cousin got the information from.  Curran married Mary Anne Little and had 6 children: cornelius, stuart, alexander, john, jane anne and sarah jane.  Alexander married someone, not known who, and had robert john smiton.  My grandfather smito lived in the ballygorey area, co tyrone and my dad has heard the clohargh (sp?) area mentioned before in the family so it all seems to tie in.

I will have to go back to your posts to see what particular information you are after - I got excited and started typing!

bw
mandy