Author Topic: McClure Family History  (Read 9661 times)

Offline brucecullen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McClure Family History
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 September 15 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank You Jack......I have not posted in a while. This is hard work. I don't think this is my guy. Just wanted to let you know. I sincerely appreciate everyone's assistance. One gentleman in particular has been of great help I shall not mention his name as he know  who he is. The 1891 Wales census shows the entire family as far as know. after that things get a bit foggy. Robert McClure appears to have been born in Liverpool. Thomas and Maggie were twins and born in county Cork.  I do not know if any of the rest of the clan were born in Scotland, England, or Ireland. It would seem that they were like gypsies back in those day. James McClure was in the Royal Engineers and assigned to Camden Fort county cork where he married Ellen Coleman on May 6, 1872. James father was Robert McClure, Ellen's father was Patrick Coleman.  ;D Thank you again for the post
Best Regards, Bruce

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Bruce,
i thank you for your prompt reply.
The name, place and marriage connections seemed like a good fit.

The journey continues.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline DGR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 November 17 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Mary Mccaa was my 2nd cousin, 4 times removed.  She was born in 1827 and died in 1915.  Her parents were John Mccaa (born 30 Mar 1794 in Girvan, Ayrshire) and Elsie McIlwraith (born 1802).  John & Elsie had 8 children: Mary (1827-1915); Jean (1830-); Catherine (1832-); William (1835-); Alexander (1840-), James (1840-); Matthew (1842-1922); Thomas (1845-).

Elsie's parents were David McIlwraith (1777-1834) and Jean Greig (1779-1848).

I have a great deal more information on the McIlraiths and Greigs if you are interested.

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 November 17 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello DGR you need 3 posts before we can do personal messages. I would be quite happy to swap material when this occurs. I have more info on the McCaa's and  my interest in the McClures is two fold. This line just happened to marry into my Gilbert line  about the Upper Goulburn of central Victoria. I have someones material supporting this.
I have another  closer McClure line that ends in Donegal for me but is possible  originally from Ayrshire.
This is the must frustrating part of our research these brick walls - but very rewarding when we are able to connect the dots.
After most paper trails dry up we tend to take stabs at possible connection like this and occassionally we get lucky.
Whatever the out come we meet interesting people.

cheers
Jack
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Maryjane1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 October 21 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi.  .. responding to your (very old) request regarding information on David McClure born 1799 in Scotland.  David McClure (and wife Ann Galt) were also my great, great, great grandparents. They had 13 children, all born in Scotland. I am a descendent of their daughter Catherine Ferguson McClure (1835-1922).   

The family emigrated to Ontario Canada sometime in the mid 1800s. I think it was the entire family, including David and Ann and their children, but do not know details.. also wonder under what circumstances they left Scotland.   In Ontario, in 1862 Catherine Ferguson McClure married John Mills. They had 5 children, including my great grandfather William Dickie Mills (1866-1971). 

William had 4 sons, including Dickie Mills, who is my maternal grandfather.  They lived in the London, Ontario area for many years.  I remember visiting William when I was a small child. He was proudly wearing his tartan tam (which he always wore), and stoked his Scottish pipe with cherry tobacco. He took me for walks and carried pickled hard boiled eggs (to give to me) in his sweater vest pocket. William lived to be 104 years old.  He served in the military, as did all of his sons (one who was killed in WW1). On his 100th birthday Queen Elizabeth II made a special visit to him at the Veterans Home in London Ontario, as the oldest military survivor of a particular battle (rebellion) in Canada.   

Attached is a diagram with information on David McClure and his descendants/family tree.  I hope this helps to address some of your questions.

copyright image removed