Author Topic: High Park Convent, Goose Green, Drumcondra  (Read 18841 times)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
High Park Convent, Goose Green, Drumcondra
« on: Thursday 17 June 10 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All :)

I hope I've got this in the right place.  I'm getting really confused with places in Ireland!

I'm hoping - great excitement! - that I've finally got a good lead to a more precise location for where my Hoey family from Ireland came from.

My gggrandfather, John Hoey saddler was born in Dublin 1827 approx, father Patrick, a farmer.  However, I believe the family came from Louth.  My ggrandmother, his daughter was Anastasia Hoey.

With a big hint from a Rootschatter, and the arrival of the 1901 census, I've found an Anastasia (Indexed Austasia), of an age (68), to be a sibling or cousin in the above Convent.  She was also one of the few giving a more precise birthplace, Beldoyle.  It says inmate, so I think she's elderly being cared for.

With great excitement I thought I'd get on the net and find some nice pictures/ history and details of both places, but it wasn't that easy.

I also hoped I'd find more Hoeys born in the same place.

Can any one help? 

It didn't seem clear whether there were two names Beldoyle and Baldoyle or whether one has developed into the other, and also I seem to be getting results for different areas of Ireland.  I thought it would be near Dublin.

Most of the results I got for this and Drumcondra were houses for sale.

Can anyone help, by either telling me more about Beldoyle or the convent, or what kind of place they were, and where there are pictures, or tell me what sites to look on please?

Thank you for reading!

Bestr wishes

Emms :) :)

High Park Convent, Goose Green, Drumcondra
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: High Park Convent, Goose Green, Drumcondra
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 June 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
Baldoyle would have been a rural area to the north east of the city in the 1820s - see the 1st edition (1820s/40s) OSI map at  Baldoyle  (click on historic or historic bw to see the older details)

The village of Drumcondra is to the north of the city and further west than Baldoyle - see  Drumcondra  the Convent may be marked on the map...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the location of the Convent (on the OSI maps) in the townland of Goosegreen : Highpark

I have some details online from Thom's of 1848 on the towns of Baldoyle and Drumcondra  at : County Dublin towns, 1848

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
Anastastia Hoey is listed as laundress at the convent along with many of the other inmates. Further down the page occupations are listed as 'religious'  which would be the nuns. Rather than an elderly person being cared for in the convent it sounds as though she's working in the laundry.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Drumcondra/Goosegreen__High_Park_Convent/1271979/

Googling various phrases brings up lots of information on the convent.
http://www.magdalenelaundries.com/name.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure that she could be your gtgrandmother though....  she seems to be 68 and unmarried..

sorry misread your post - I see now that you think it could be a relation to your ancestor Anastasia..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Baldoyle town and townland appear to be included in the RC parish of Howth/Baldoyle. Records for this parish are available in the National Library on microfilm Pos. 6618. These cover baptisms and marriages from the 1780s onward, with some gaps.

see Howth/Baldoyle RC records  (Irish Times Genealogy Website)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Thank you, Thank you!

Real Rootschat service - three replies almost instantly, and another while I was answering the phone!

I'm going to have another look at the maps when I've written this, and get back.  What was throwing me, though was, do I take it that Beldoyle and Baldoyle are the same place?

Yes, I think I was getting a bit gaga by the time I got to the convent, Aghadowey.

I'd actually got that entry.  She's not on the 1911 as far as I can see, and she'd be very old, anyway - but not uncommon in our family.

The reason I was so interested, was that I've never seen anyone calleAnastasia Hoey apart from my ggrandmother.

Also, I have loads of repeats of other family names such as Margaret, Mary Catherine etc, but I was starting to assume it came from another line - Carroll is a possibility.  When I saw this, and she was of an age with John Joseph, (Occasionally John James), I thought it was defin9tely worth following up.

I saw there were religious member as well and I thought worker, but with her age I was wondering whether it could be some sort of home or substitute work house where the work helped with their keep.

Thank you again everybody.  I'll have another look at those.

Best wishes

Emms :) :) :)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 June 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Ooh  Thank you!

Townland found for me - they're hard going if you don't know the place or the sites!

I'll have a good look and get back.

Emms :) :) :)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 June 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Well, I wanted to know what the place was like - I've definitely found out more than I ever thought.

Better for people to read than for me or anyone to explain.  But amazingly sad.

The name lists are great thank you, though she isn't on one, yet!  More than that, though, such a basic human right was denied these people -  not only to be given a name but to continue to be known and be called by it. 

To be left and be forgotten and lost to families---

It makes me more than ever want to find what happened to this lady - and all those hoards on the list.

I was going to look for a death certificate, but I suspect that would be a forlorn hope, having read this.

Intrigueingly though, she is almost the only one who has a detailed birth place, a history.

I will email them eventually, but I will try and find out more.

Please read the "Magdalene Story" on the links on the site on Aghadowey's link people - if that makes sense.

Best wishes

Emms

Thank you again.

Emms