Author Topic: Solomon Potter & Phebe Banham  (Read 7406 times)

Offline Latina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Potter & Phebe Banham
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 July 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
This doesn't advance us genealogically - but thought it might be of interest to those descended from Solomon Potter! From the BNA.
Latina x

copyright attachment removed
Gravenor - Montgomeryshire, Monomouthshire
Crow(e), Hendry, Fuller - Norfolk
Miles, Minchinton - Dorset
Brown - Norfolk, Northumberland
Simpson - Co. Durham, Northumberland

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 July 17 19:57 BST (UK) »
Just in case Children of Solomon and Phebe (Banham) Potter
Robert born 31 March 1833 Winfarthing baptized 28 April 1833
Mary Ann born 22 May 1835 died 1844 in Winfarthing
George born 7 August 1838 Died 1914 in Auckland County Durham
Matilda born 9 January 1841 Died March 1844 in Guiltcross

Eliza born 23 June 1843
Sarah Ann born 1 September 1846 Died 1880 in Auckland County Durham
Emily born 2 May 1849
Solomon born 22 May 1852 Died 1931 in Sedgefield County Durham and have photos of him and his wife if anyone is interested.

Samuel born ? baptized 2 December 1855

Some updates and a lot more besides on this side of the family if required.
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon
Ridley & Robinson - Durham

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 July 17 20:03 BST (UK) »
This doesn't advance us genealogically - but thought it might be of interest to those descended from Solomon Potter! From the BNA.
Latina x

Don't know how you found this but well impressed. Sounds like the guy didn't have much luck in life. Makes me all the more determined to find out more about him and his ancestors and of course mine. This is very much appreciated and if you need any research or info on the Durham side of your family let me know how I help
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Potter Jnr image
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hopefully I have attached the image asper the directions and its OK but if not let me know and will try to improve it.

If it's not attached you should have a copy sent by email
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon

Offline Latina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Solomon Potter Jnr image
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 July 17 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hopefully I have attached the image asper the directions and its OK but if not let me know and will try to improve it.

If it's not attached you should have a copy sent by email
Thank you nanu for persevering with this ... I'm afraid the image opens but is extremely small. There's nothing in my emails at the moment.
Gravenor - Montgomeryshire, Monomouthshire
Crow(e), Hendry, Fuller - Norfolk
Miles, Minchinton - Dorset
Brown - Norfolk, Northumberland
Simpson - Co. Durham, Northumberland

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Well I have spent a few hours researching my tree and going over records on line and can find only one reference to the birth of a Solomon Potter and that is in Starston 1807 son of William and Sarah which of course does not fit with the census showing he was born in Tivetshall in 1807 and in one instance has his mother Ann living with him and his wife in 1861?

I have found a Nathan Potter married to an Ann Harbour whose father is Thomas b1787 and mother Lydia Bond but I cannot find any link between Nathan and Solomon.

If as suggested Solomon was baptised in the Wesleyan Methodist faith I cannot find any records on line. I have also tried to find the nearest Wesleyan church / chapel which could be Diss but no records.
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Nanu,

The image you posted was only 60 x 96 pixels, normally images posted on Rootschat are about 900-1200 pixels wide, please see this link below for help on resizing images.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,372537.0.html

If you post the image again you will need to re-name the file as each image has to have a unique title ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Nanu,

The image you posted was only 60 x 96 pixels, normally images posted on Rootschat are about 900-1200 pixels wide, please see this link below for help on resizing images.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,372537.0.html

If you post the image again you will need to re-name the file as each image has to have a unique title ;)

Regards

Sarah
Your help is much appreciated but I think my problem is the original image size is very small so when re sized up it looses quality. I am trying to obtain a better and larger original.
Potter - Norfolk
Bailey - Devon

Offline Lalzovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 13 May 19 14:16 BST (UK) »
According to the IGI index Solomon B1807/ 08 married Phebe B1812 in the church of St Mary The Virgin Winfarthing 12th October in 1831 but I am unable to find this recorded in any online parish record.
The issues I am trying to resolve re Solomon are many namely his correct place and date of birth which are either 1808 in Tivitshall according to the Census records but Tivitshall parish records do not support this. Parish records on Freereg have a Solomon born 1807 in Starston showing parents as being William and Sarah.
I am requesting a lookup of the marriage which may resolve his date and place of birth and parents. Likewise Phebe's

Newbie here and my first post. Solomon Potter was my gggg grandfather through his son George. Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but the original post contained my own question: "Likewise Phebe's"

I recently came across a comment from another user on FamilySearch attached to Phoebe, suggesting that 'Banham' should not be the surname since it actually refers to the place of birth. I have done some digging and maintain that it is entirely plausible that she can have the same surname as her place of birth because 1) Banham as a name originates from/is highly concentrated in Norfolk 2) There are plenty of other Banhams in Banham at that time 3) The use of Banham in the registration of her child clearly refers to her maiden name when compared with other entries 4) Even if she used the name for convenience (like others might have done) due to her socio-economic situation or literacy, that is not to say that it was not what she regarded as her surname, and it is not to say that her parents did not also bear the same name for the same reasons.

Nevertheless, I feel unable to restore the name Banham to the FamilySearch profile without being able to refute the comments already made about her. I am trying in vain to find which of the Banhams in the area could have been her parents. It is not especially strange if her birth was not registered, but I would love to know if any information is out there that is not in the usual places. My current hypothesis is that her parents were James Banham and Sarah Flatt since the dates work quite well but I am now wondering if her parents were from a nearby village instead.

On a sideline, I am sure others will also have encountered the other Phoebe Banham married to John Widett also in Banham. Any ideas whether/how the two Phoebes might be related?
HEATH, WOODCOCK (Midlands)
GILBERTSON (Shetland), HOY (Fife)
NEWMAN (Bath), NAILER (North London)
VICCARS, GEORGE (Buckinghamshire)
CHAPMAN, SWAIN (Lincolnshire)
HAIGH, HAGGAS, BEEVERS, WALKER (West Yorkshire)
AYRE (Bishop Auckland), POTTER (Norfolk)