Author Topic: Margaret Stewart ne้ McClester (Spelling varys McCleister, McLeister, McCluster)  (Read 2613 times)

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I am looking to find more information on
Margaret Stewart ne้ McClester (Spelling can vary McCleister, McLeister, McCluster)

She was born in Co. Antrim around 1845.
Her parents are Jennie McClester (ne้ Kilpatrick) & William McClester.
Her grandmother is believed to be Molly Kilpatrick (ne้ Keller).
Any information on any of them is welcomed.

She married Isaac (Issac) Stewart in Ahoghill, Co. Antrim on 30th March 1867.

She used several spellings of Surnames when recording the births of her children who's names are:
- Catherine Lowrey (ne้ Stewart)
- William Stewart
- James Stewart
- Jane McKay (ne้ Stewart)
- John Stewart
- Mary Harris (ne้ Stewart)

The childrens location of births are a mixture of Craigs, Co. Antrim and Portglenone, Co. Antrim.

In 1901 she lived at: 2 in Moboy (Lisnagarran, Antrim)
In 1911 she lived at: 13 in Moboy (Lisnagarran, Antrim)

I know she died on 13th July 1911.
Aged 65 years at time of death and is buried in Townhill Graveyard in Portglenone.

Okay i know a lot about her... accept place and date of birth and exact information about her parents, grandparents and siblings.

Please help if you think you know something!!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Some children of Isaac Stewart and Margaret are listed in IGI (www.familysearch.org):
1. Catherine born 22 June 1869 Co.Antrim (mother McCluster)
2. William born 16 Feb.1871 Co.Antrim (mother McLeister)- submitted record gives birthplace as Craigs but has birth as c1872
3. James born 15 Oct.1872 Portglenone, Co.Antrim (mother McCleister)
4. Jane born 7 Feb.1875 Co.Antrim (mother McListon- probably transcription error)- submited record gives birthplace as Craigs but has birth as c1877- LDS Pilot site gives mother as Mclister
5. Elizabeth born 18 Aug.1878 Craigs, Co.Antrim (mother McLeisler- probably another transcription error)- submitted record has Lizzie b.1880 Craigs
6. Mary born c1881 Craigs, Co. Antrim (submitted record)

Since marriage usually take place in the bride's church the one Margaret and Isaac married in is probably the best place to check for records of Margaret.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scarletmill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My gg granny was Margaret McLeister / variants, she married George Taylor 8/3/1873. She was born in 1843 in Gortaheron, Portglenone. Her father was Hugh McLeister and he died 9/12/1893 - he was maried Nancy. Margaret was shortened to Peggy and they had 3 children -
1.  Martha b 7 feb 1874 m Joseph McGurk b 1859 ( a Catholic - oh the shame as she was Presbyterian ) !!!
      They had 10 children ( I come from their daughter Sarah McGurk ). They settled in Tamlaght in Rasharkin
2. Jane  b 13 March 1875 m George Campbell
3. Andrew b 1876 d 1947 m Margaret Bell Glass b 1877 ( married in 1900 - they had 8 children ) .

Hopefully you can make sense of this

June
McClinton, Boyd, McCreight (Belfast, Templepatrick , Carmoney and Killead/Ballyhill Townlands),
McMullan, McGurk, McLeister, Taylor, Glass, McKillop, McCaughern (Rasharkin, Dunloy and Portglenone - Tamlaght)
Harrison, Stafford, Plunkett (Tyrone and Armagh)
Coulter/Coalter, Foster (Fermanagh)
Lougheed, Gibson (Co.Cavan)
McVeigh, Edgar (Belfast and Co.Down)
Shannon (Co.Monaghan)

Offline KennyBrown.NI

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Stewart ne้ McClester (Spelling varys McCleister, McLeister, McCluster)
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hey scarletmill not the same person.

Offline RickyT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Hi Scarletmill
Peggy McLeister was my G Grandmother and Andrew Taylor was my Grandfather.
My records show that Andrew and Margaret Bell had 5 boys and 3 girls.  Most of the boys went to Glasgow and married there. Andrew returned, with his eldest 2 children in about 1904 after his Father died.
How did you discover that Hugh McLeister's wife was Nancy and do you know her maiden name?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Presumably from MacAlister?

Skoosh.