Author Topic: Anyone researching GALLOON , especially Dernish Is ?  (Read 19160 times)

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone researching GALLOON , especially Dernish Is ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 February 12 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marthur,

Just a little bit of info on the Bamford Family if you dont already know it. The 1821 Aghalurcher census lists the following at Ramult, Maghnastephina, Aughalurcher:

Alexander Bamford 50 Farmer
Jane Bamford         40 Wife - Flax Spinner
Anne Bamford         15 Daughter - Flax Spinner
Jane Bamford          10 Daughter
Mary Bamford          4  Daughter
Margaret Bamford    1 Daughter
Joseph Bamford       20 Son - Weaver
William Bamford       16 Son - Labourer
Christopher Bamford 7 Son

The 1833 Tithe lists an Alexander "Barnford" at Aghalurcher, Ramult

1862 Griffiths lists Christopher Bamford at Aghalurcher, Ramult
 & William Bamford at Aghavea, Coolrakelly.

There are more Bamford entries here too: http://www.fermanagh-gold.com/search1?term=bamford

Hope it helps

Rusty

Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline Marthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 February 12 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Rusty, thank you for your replies. Yes, I unearthed the Bamfords of Ramult only recently, thanks to a Bible my mother had. But I had NO idea there were so many others.

As to the Bryans, the trail went cold in Canada--until three days ago when I ran across a surrogate court record for a man, Richard Bryans, who claimed MY William Bryans, shoemaker, as his brother. He also named as brothers a John Bryans, cooper, and a James Bryans, farmer, all in Canada. Alone, I admit that isn't much to go on as every other Bryans in Ireland was a John or a James.

So I slogged some more and found a  John Bryans, cooper, b. 1812 in Ireland, who married Ann Jane Noble in Canada in 1840. I also found a James Bryans, farmer, b. 1813 in Ireland, who married Mary (b. 1811). They bore five children in Ireland before emigrating to Canada: John, Thomas, Ellen, William, and Ann. Ann, the youngest, was born in 1844.

As for Richard, records indicate he was born in 1816 (possibly in England), worked as a painter, and was a widower. His late wife was not mentioned, and there was no issue. I have done no search for Mary Bryans Gallagher yet.

I can't think of anything else to tell. The Bible was short on information: William and Margaret were Anglican, as were James and Mary. John and Ann Jane were Wesleyan Methodist, and Richard claimed to be Episcopalian. 

I hope you have among your notes something that might give me a clue. I've noted that a lot of Bryans lurked in the Galloon area--but they weren't exclusive to Galloon. Anything is sure to help--even if it's just how to slog smarter instead of harder.

I need more sleep...

Margaret

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 February 12 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Margaret,

Sleep while researching.... pretty difficult, as often when you get a lead all the what ifs & where can I check next, go through your head.

Hows the weather in your neck of the woods?

After you reply we should be able to use the PM facility & I can send you some stuff.

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline Marthur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 February 12 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Weather? What weather? I'm inside with my nose stuck to a 10x12 flatscreen.

But I hear that it's been unseasonably warm this winter. Sunshine, gentle breezes, temps in the 70s. Ho-hum. 'Course, that's why I moved to Florida in the first place...

What's a PM facility?

Margaret

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 February 12 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   The PM facility is a personal message system. If you click on the little green scroll under the name of the person you wish to contact you can send a private message.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline crazydot80

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 February 12 06:15 GMT (UK) »
 :D If you still have the CLINGAN records I would really like a copy. I'm a Clingan from Ireland living in Australia, I  stumbled across this thread on google.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thank-you

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 February 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Crazydot,
             Have you any further details of your Irish ancestors so we know where to search?

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline needy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 21:58 BST (UK) »
Although I have been researching William Bryans and
Catherine Hicks of Dernish Island I haven't had much
success. But am delighted to come across others who
are interested in those names as their daughter Dorcas
born 1821 was my great grandmother. She married
and lived at Clonegore,Drummully, Monaghan. I have
a fairly full family tree from Dorcas forward.
Would love to chat by email with other of William
and Catherine descendents.
Needy

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline barb_rn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 May 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi MArthur, I have info on your cold trail in Canada :) I am part of the cold trail!
I have a John Bryans + family in Canada.

Rusty, thank you for your replies. Yes, I unearthed the Bamfords of Ramult only recently, thanks to a Bible my mother had. But I had NO idea there were so many others.

As to the Bryans, the trail went cold in Canada--until three days ago when I ran across a surrogate court record for a man, Richard Bryans, who claimed MY William Bryans, shoemaker, as his brother. He also named as brothers a John Bryans, cooper, and a James Bryans, farmer, all in Canada. Alone, I admit that isn't much to go on as every other Bryans in Ireland was a John or a James.

So I slogged some more and found a  John Bryans, cooper, b. 1812 in Ireland, who married Ann Jane Noble in Canada in 1840. I also found a James Bryans, farmer, b. 1813 in Ireland, who married Mary (b. 1811). They bore five children in Ireland before emigrating to Canada: John, Thomas, Ellen, William, and Ann. Ann, the youngest, was born in 1844.

As for Richard, records indicate he was born in 1816 (possibly in England), worked as a painter, and was a widower. His late wife was not mentioned, and there was no issue. I have done no search for Mary Bryans Gallagher yet.

I can't think of anything else to tell. The Bible was short on information: William and Margaret were Anglican, as were James and Mary. John and Ann Jane were Wesleyan Methodist, and Richard claimed to be Episcopalian. 

I hope you have among your notes something that might give me a clue. I've noted that a lot of Bryans lurked in the Galloon area--but they weren't exclusive to Galloon. Anything is sure to help--even if it's just how to slog smarter instead of harder.

I need more sleep...

Margaret
Bryans & Noble, Johnson & Fuller, Eaves & Hudson, Milne, Wilbee, Smellie
Wellington County, Ontario, Canada