Author Topic: Tullyniskan Parish- Churchtowns??  (Read 2523 times)

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Tullyniskan Parish- Churchtowns??
« on: Friday 18 June 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help.

I have found two records of great interest to me in my research of the Hobs/ Hobson family of Tyrone:

1- Tithe Applotment Books- William Hobson, Churchtowns, Tullyniskan date 1828
2) 1796 Flax Growers List- Benjamin Hobs, Tullyniskan Parish.

I have been trying to find out, (with very little success ) firstly where Churchtowns might be located within the parish of Tullyniskan and also, what COI churches were in Tullyniskan parish?

Any help gratefully appreciated!

:) :) :)

MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Donutman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tullyniskan Parish- Churchtowns??
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 November 15 23:46 GMT (UK) »
The townland of churchtowns is the very old name of a townland belonging to Tullyniskan. In 1830, the townland was divided into two townlands for whatever reason, to the townlands of Blacktown and Whitetown. I know this as my Great, Great Grandfather Hugh Douglas bought and lived on a farm in Churchtowns in 1830, just before the townlands where divided.
Hope this helps...