Author Topic: Glen of Bo'ness, Linlithgow, West Lothian  (Read 7950 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Glen of Bo'ness, Linlithgow, West Lothian
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 March 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Glad to hear from you.

Likewise, I am still in the same boat…no further forward.

Been looking through my info. (on another comp).

From the 1861 census there was an Elizabeth Grant (Dau) b Bo'ness aged 1 (1860)

This is 1 birth which would have had to have been recorded (statutory births) but there was no birth on SP for her with a surname even similar to Grant with yrs 1858 – 1860.

I searched with forename (only) with name beginning Eli (in case it was indexed as EliSabeth) b Bo’ness but nothing showing.

So to date we have no record of any of the baptisms/births with any of the list of surnames.

Here is 1 I have and did wonder if this was possibly Elizabeth as her age would tie in on the census.... Father John Aitken, Mother Ann Aitken m/s Johnston

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ8F-3XG

Now very curious as the birth from SP doesn’t say she’s illegitimate nor does it give marriage details of parents or any other previous names for Ann? but she would only have been 43 yrs old so could still be the mother.

The 3 births on the page give address as High St, so not much help there & none have marriage details for parents.

Another surname for the ever growing list.

Anne
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 March 16 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I have however; uncovered some information about Robert Reid who was John Menzies Jr cousin. Robert's father (also called Robert) was born in America according to Ancestry. Not sure when he arrived in Scotland though. Maybe John Menzies Sr was born in America.

Steve,

I have "a" Robert Reid on a passenger list for S. S. Campania leaving from Liverpool, England, Apr 1906 to New York arriving 24 Apr 1906

Robert Reid, age 41 (b c1865), Male, Married, Occ. Mason, Nationality "G Britain", Race "Scotch", Last residence Glasgow, Final destination New Bern, Iowa, Where going (column out of sinc) but looks to be...Mrs Frew (Cousin), 613, Moravia, N Berne (sic), Iowa

Do you have anything on Robert Reid in Iowa after his arrival assuming this is the correct man?

Would be interesting to know who Mrs Frew was, what her maiden name was & where she was born?

Found this for an Isabel Frew b 1847, d 1935 but no telling if it's relevant....relying on her Scottish forename being of possible significance?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVMF-BM8B

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 March 16 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I have no record of a marriage for his parents John & Ann although John's death cert. says married to Ann Johnston. I have no death record for her either. Is it possible that

I forgot to mention that I did later find the marriage for John (Glen)dinning (Single) & Anne (Johnston)e (Widow) 31 Dec 1862 Corbiehall Bridge, Bo'ness, Linlithgow

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY75-LZQ

Her parents John Johnstone & Helen Thomson (both deceased)

Witnesses John McNaylor? (hard to read) & Richard Grant........he pops up a lot & may be the brother of her 1st hubby Charles Grant as he had many siblings including a Richard......

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h6y/

I doubt this brick wall will ever be knocked down to be honest with so much lack of info.

I also believe Monica could be right regarding Helen.....

From on line family tree (A/try), son George BROWN born c. 1845 showing as having married firstly a Margaret Hamilton in 1866 in Bo'ness. Father a George Brown, miner and mother Ann Johnston (who still is given as alive).

Wonder whether one of the witnesses, a Helen BROWN is AKA Grant/Glen etc...

Annie

Offline indyblue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 March 16 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne;
I have actually found Ann Johnston's birth and death details. She was born Ann Burns Johnston on 07.10.1816  to parents John Johnston and Helen Thomson in Bo'ness. She was baptized on 13.10.1816. She died as Ann Glendinning on 11.02.1871 being a widow of John Glendinning. The informant on the death certificate was Charles Grant (son). This hasn't made the slightest bit of difference though; as I still can't find a marriage between John Menzies and Ann Glendinning.
As far as Robert Reid was concerned; both were blastfurnacemen.
I have found your email Anne and have sent you a message.
Kind Regards,
Steve

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 March 16 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I have just been through my history on SP as I couldn't find that death anywhere.

Is this the one......

1   1871   GLENDINNING   ANN           F   4   BO'NESS   /WEST LOTHIAN   663/00 0011

If so, you can get in touch with SP & let them know the age is wrong & they will reinstate your credits, hence the reason I didn't download it or that would have been solved years ago  ::)

Charles was her 1st son, the only child to her 1st marriage who should have known all her details. I don't understand why she hasn't come up on the index by her maiden name though? The cert. should have stated at least her maiden name you would have thought?

It would be interesting to see the cert. I will email you with everything when I get a chance as I haven't received yours & all my info. is on a different comp.

I posted on another thread a few years back but I haven't pursued it as the tangle was more important being as I was following the line of Archibald Glen/Grant & trying to establish his father with as you know, no joy.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=394478.msg4963205#msg4963205

I have been through familysearch with only maiden name as Johnston thinking the children may have been one of Ann's 3 sister's who may have died but again the names of James, Helen Archibald & Elizabeth don't surface. I tried with only father's surname Grant & nothing........it's a mystery who these children belong to but obviously not christened, well I don't think so at this moment?

Anne

Offline indyblue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne;

Well I'm even more confused now. It is the death certificate that you mentioned; however it states Ann's age at 54. Since she was born in 1816; I would've thought that was correct. It also mentions that she was the widow of John Glendinning and that her parents were John Johnston and Helen Johnston (M.S. Thomson) both deceased. Unless I'm missing something; this ties in as Ann Johnston married John Glendinning on 31.12.1862. She was a widow and 46 at the time. Again her parents were listed as John and Helen; both deceased. I think John Glendinning died only after a couple of years into the marriage. I suppose the confusing thing about this is the fact that she used her maiden name for the marriage and NOT the name of Grant.
I will send you everything that I have also once your correct email is confirmed.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I have John's DC which I will send.

That was how I discovered he was unlikely to be the father of Archibald & siblings Glen/Grant.

It is strange however, that the others have surnames Menzies & Brown but neither baptisms can be found.

I wonder if Richard Grant, brother of 1st hubby Charles was the father but there is also a John Grant as hubby on 1861 census.

I also looke for children with father John Grant with mother's name blank & again zilch.

I hav tried every possible scenario & cannot find anything. Of course, any illegitimate children would be named Grant whether christened or not as that was legally her surname by then although widowed.

I don't have a marriage for brother James yet (haven't looked) as I'd spent so much by then with no results.

Annie