Author Topic: Phillips of Felinfach Llanboidy and Llanfallteg  (Read 6102 times)

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Phillips of Felinfach Llanboidy and Llanfallteg
« on: Tuesday 29 March 05 13:24 BST (UK) »
My Phillips family were at Felinfach Mill for a time.They were there in 1851.My grt grt grandmother Hannah Phillips was born there. Her father Thomas Phillips was born in LLANFALLTEG IN 1803.
Hannah married Caleb Edwards and moved to Llanfallteg.
Is anyone else researching this family?
tHANKS
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline Wilnig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips of Felinfach Llanboidy and Llanfallteg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 January 12 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm new on this site so please bear with me.

Hope you're still researching.

My ggggrandfather was a James Phillips, shown as born in Llanfallteg around 1800 on the 1851 census and living in Crinow as a cooper. The family then stayed in the area until the end of the century.
 Do you have any more information on the Phillips' of Llanfallteg? (JP is shown as 'Philipps' on the 1841 census.

Regards,

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your message. I have only just gone back to my research so good timing! I have not got a lot on my phillips line . My Edwards were also from llanfalteg so lots on them. I have found this site to be one of the best for finding connections esp with this side of my family.
My grt grt grt grandfather was the miller at Fellinfach mill LlANBOIDY his name was Thomas Phillips. Most of that side were from Llanboidy and Llanfalteg. Some of the Phillips family worked on the railways and I have a lot of info on them if you would like it.
Llanfalteg is a small village and I have found many connections with my Edwards, Phillips and Evans side. My family moved quite a bit to find work like most .
aLL THE BEST
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline Wilnig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for that. I don't suppose you have any information on Paul Phillips b around 1770 9married to Phebe), who I am hoping is the father of James Phillips born around 1800 in Llanfallteg?

Thanks

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I have nothing on a Paul Phillips sorry. I am looking  through my phillips info and will let you know if i find any connections.

Offline Cardi Bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 12 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaynor.

I have just started researching my family....the Edwards of Llanfallteg, and came across your posts on this forum.

My great grandparents were Caleb Edwards and Hannah Phillips.
My grandparents were Edwin Lewis Edwards and Penelope James....which means that we must be related in some way??

I realise that you are researching the Phillips side, but I wondered if you had any information on Caleb.
It was always rumoured in the family that the builder of the bridge at Pontypridd in the 1750's,  William Edwards,  was one of our relations, probably just
wishful thinking though!

If you are interested I have a very very faded photograph of my grandfather taken in Feb. 1921 standing outside Troedyrhiw, Llanfallteg which is where Caleb and Hannah lived. The photo is faded to such an extent that you can just make out a whitewashed single storey cottage with a thatched roof. I can try and scan it if you wish.

best wishes

Gareth

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 March 12 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gareth  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Once you have made 3 postings on here you will be able to use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data, such as email addresses, with other Rootschatters.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Kindest regards
Morgan

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth
Thanks for your reply. Your grandfather Edwin and my grt grandfather Robert were brothers. So yes you are related to my Edwards line. I have more on the Edwards than the Phillips side. My grandmother Margaret Hannah Edwards had told me that she lived down with her grand parents for a short while during child hood. They were a strong family and her cousin was mayor of Merthyr Tydfil for a while. I haven't come across the bridge in Ponty connection but you never know with this side of the family!!LOL It would be nice to have a copy of that photo if possible.
I have census info on this Edwards side of the family if you want it. I do know that on this side of the family they are connected to John Lewis stores but it may be my Grt gran Sarah Davies family as she stayed with the family . I am looking into the connection as I was told they are also connected to the Edwards line.
Some of my mother's family are from llanfalteg also and they are also Edward/s.
If you want the info I have please let me know.
It is always lovely to find connections and this site is one of the best to do so.

Offline Cardi Bach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 March 12 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Gaynor

thankyou for your reply. I would be very interested in the census detail for the Edwards side, it will be a great help. I have managed to scan the photo onto the computer and will forward this to you.  I will pm you with my email details.....apparently I need to post 3 times before I can use the private message facility and this is only my second post. If, in the course of this research I can dig out any info on the Phillips side I will of course send it.

best wishes

Gareth.