Author Topic: Where was Dr Peter Gilroy Born?  (Read 7610 times)

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where was Dr Peter Gilroy Born?
« on: Wednesday 12 May 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on

Dr Gilroy who practised at Navan

and retired around 1834. He was married to Frances. Trying to find out his christian name and where he originated from. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Gilroy, Navan, replaced with new post.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 10 05:10 BST (UK) »
I now know he was Dr Peter Gilroy and that he was born C1779. Have done a new post.

Moderator's Comment: New post merged with existing thread to avoid duplication

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where was Dr Peter Gilroy Born?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 10 05:17 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Peter Gilroy MD. He was born C1779 and is buried at Mt Jerome in Dublin. He died in July 1853 aged 74 years. The inscription reads that he was of Navan Co Meath.

He appears on the 1824 Pigots Directory under physicians,  Leigh's-brook, Navan Co Meath.

A daughter was born at Clones County Monaghan in 1812, two daughters born in 1809 & 1807 I am unsure as to where they were born. He married in Dublin in 1804.

A reference to his daughter makes mention that she was from the old irish family of Gilroy. This would originally have been MacGilroy from what I have found out.

I am trying to find out where Peter Gilroy was born.  Any help or leads appreciate. Thanks

Offline Sanles

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Where was Dr Peter Gilroy Born?
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi My relatives name is Francis Gilroy born about 1815 native to Parish of Annagh Co Cavan. He married Mary Kairns (Ann Kearn) and emigrated to Australia 1840. Shipping records state his father as Peter Gilroy, doctor of medicine. His death certificate has his mother as Margaret Sheenan. Can anybody enlighten me as I cannot find anything to match these records. How likely is it that there is two doctors named Peter Gilroy born about the same time? To confuse matters further this Peter Gilroy had a wife named Francis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, that is very interesting. My Peter Gilroy married Frances Clavel in 1804. They only had three daughters that I know of. Frances died in 1873 in Dublin.  Peter Gilroy died in 1853.  Do you know when your Peter Gilroy became a MD and where? I have just had a look at the Griffiths Valuation under Gilroy and there are no listings for any Peter. There is a Patrick Gilroy
Townland Straheglin Parish Annagh Cavan. Maybe someone else might be able to shed some light on these two  Dr Peter Gilroys.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 14 12:12 GMT (UK) »
http://www.navanhistory.ie

then type in search box:  Gilroy

mentioned Peter Gilroy 1819

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 November 14 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes thanks I have come across this website and the mention of Peter Gilroy. Thanks. I have also found him and family on the 1821 census on Family Search.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
http://www.igp-web.com

then in search box type Peter Gilroy or no 1145

Ref: No. 1145

Peter Gilroy MD July 1853 aged 74 interred in this cemetery grant 1846 also his widow Frances A Gilroy Gilroy who died 4 march 1873 aged 84, also their daughter Jane A Hudson wife of Alfred Hudson MD who died 18.11.1877 aged 70, also the above named Alfred Hudson MD of Merrion Square north dublin who died 19.11.1880 aged 72

Offline SueChris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 November 14 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks. Yes I have this info from Mt Jerome. Yvonne Russell and others are doing an amazing job with recording and making these records available to us. I wonder when Mt Jerome Cemetery will be available for searching on line?. I have tried to find out from Mt Jerome, but did not get a reply to my two e-mails. These records will help many people sort out their forebears and connect people together.