Author Topic: LUMKINS of Theberton  (Read 1160 times)

Offline frankish.gingell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LUMKINS of Theberton
« on: Sunday 20 June 10 10:17 BST (UK) »
Looking for help please.
Am looking for family origins in Theberton.

John Lumkin b c 1804 Theberton took his family to Wiltshire and settled in Castle Combe s a gamekeeper.
I am trying to settle his parentage. I believe his father was Jeremiah Lumkin and his mother either Maria Turner or Esther Todd. I am also trying to identify his siblings ? Biddy, Esther, William, Edward, Sarah, Ezra, Eliza?
John's first three surviving children, Lavinia, George and Eliza were born in Suffolk in 1832, 1830 and 1837, but the remainder in Wiltshire.

Louisa Gingell

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Lumkins of Theberton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
Louisa, hello and welcome to rootschat :)

have you looked on the IGI on familysearch site for John's baptism?  That may give you his father's name in the parish records.  You certainly should check that out.

A bit hard to make suggestions where to look apart from parish records as you seem to have collected quite a bit of info about the family.

charlotte

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline frankish.gingell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lumkins of Theberton
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
thank you for the advice, but I have done an electronic check of IGI searching on the variants of Lumkin and Lumpkin.  Nothing returns. 

Offline Aliceemma

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: LUMKINS of Theberton
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 November 17 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am related to John Lumkin born 1774 who married Esther Todd born1774 died1865. One of their children Elizabeth Lumkin 1798 - 1888 married a Samuel Green and our line started from there. I believe John Lumkin your ancestor was My ancestor Elizabeth's brother and we know that there was another sister called Jemima. They were all from Theberton, our Lumkin/ Green line moved down into Ramsey and Harwich. We did not know her brother John moved to Castle coombe so thanks. We do not have any other information, unless you know more.....

Offline swendeperle82

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: LUMKINS of Theberton
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 December 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am related to the Lumkin family through my grandmother. I have been having some problems researching this side so I would appreciate any extra information. I got back as far as Esther Todd who is apparently my 5th great grandmother. However, she is listed as Esther Todd in the census records but not Esther Lumkin. Also most of her children are referred to as Todd Lumkin or just Todd in various records. I have been unable to track down a marriage record for Esther Todd so I assumed that all of her children were maybe illegitimate as in the few baptism records I found, no father was listed. Either that or she was actually Esther Lumkin who married a Todd and for some reason her children decided to take on her maiden name. It's all very confusing!

Thanks,

Leanne