Author Topic: Cemetery Records - Stoneykirk/Kirkmaiden  (Read 32966 times)

Offline Supermarine

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery Records - Stoneykirk/Kirkmaiden
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 July 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Would someone kindly do a MI lookup for the surname Templeton at Stoneykirk and Kirkmaiden cemeteries.

Many thanks

CJ

Just as an aside, but Robert Templeton from Glenluce moved to St. John's, Newfoundland, in  1863.  Almost certainly the same family as Templetons from Stoneykirk.  While living in St. John's in the 1990s I met their descendants (who run a paint shop).

S.

Offline mcdowall78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 August 15 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Beanie,

I am trying to figure out where my Stoneykirk McDowall's were buried.  My hope is that they have a family plot in Stoneykirk. A few of them moved to Inch, confirmed in the 1841 and 1851 censuses, but I've been told through the MI's in Inch, they are not listed.

I'm looking for Hugh McDowall (1822-1885), his wife Jesse McDowall (nee: Weir, 1830-1869), his sister Margaret McDowall (1819-?), and most importantly his parents John McDowall (1768-?) and Elizabeth McDowall (nee: McCaig, death before 1841).  I don't know anything about Elizabeth's parents names and hoping the MI's could possibly shed some light.  John McDowall's parents were Alexander McDowal and Janet Kilpatrick.  I know they married in 1757 in Stoneykirk, so I assume they were born around the 1730's.  I'm also assuming they would be buried in Stoneykirk as well.

Thank you so much in advance,
Kerry McCarthy

Offline chrislb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 31 October 15 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am also interested in Stoneykirk burials as my Cameron ancestors were there in the 1800's, starting with John Cameron who was from Ireland originally and is in the 1841 census in Stoneykirk.  He married a local lass, Elizabeth McCulloch. Not sure of their marriage date but they were married by 1851, with 1 son, Alexander. In 1861 his mother, Martha Findlay, is living with them, still in Stoneykirk.

I am interested in finding where they're buried, and what, if any, information might be on their headstones, if they have them.

Any help appreciated,

Chris in Aus

Offline kate16131

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 April 19 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hello

Could someone possibly do an MI search for John McCulloch pls, husband of Mary McC (nee McTyre or Tire) poss between 1809 and 1870.

Thank you very much.
Bw
Kate

Offline apodo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 July 19 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hi guys.

I was wondering if there were any monumental inscriptions for the surname Wither in Stoneykirk Old Parish Churchyard. I know that one of my direct ancestor's children is buried there, as per his death record, which I uploaded to his FindAGrave memorial here:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/189525184/john-ritchie-wither

I am wondering if there was a family lair, or lairs, for the Wither family there or even in Inch Old Parish Churchyard, where I found relatives of Helen Wither, née Richie:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/172236606/john-ritchie

Any help finding Wither realtives in Wigtownshire would be fantastic.

Kindest regards,

David Gilmour,
3x great-grandson of Alexander Wither & Helen Ritchie

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 July 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
     There are still Withers in the Stranraer and surrounding area . I have one in my own tree  but cannot connect with yours. They left the area and headed for Ayrshire where they went into coalmining some of their family went Pennsylvania .
I can't help do a look up for you for MI's but can I suggest that even although they are mentioned on a headstone they might not be buried in that particular grave .I have some ancestors mentioned on one in Portpatrick --they actually died in Edinburgh have no marker on their grave there I presume they could not take them back to Portpatrick a long journey in the 1920's and probably didn't have the money.
I'm not at home at the moment but I will send you the address who might be able to help in Stranraer and where to contact in Edinburgh for others.
I did a quick look up on SP and found George Ritchie Darrie married Jane Ann(Jean )Cameron in 1905 in Edinburgh had one son Thomas C Darrie born in 1905 who died in New York in 1968.
Alexander Wither Darrie married Margaret Briggs in 1907 also in Edinburgh they had a daughter Margaret Wither Darrie born 1914 in Glasgow  . If you go on to SP you will find that Alexander was in Partick Glasgow on the 1940 valuation roll.
I did notice that one of your ancestors lived at Corner Cottage Inch --my grandparents lived there from 1941 until 1965 it was actually two cottages belonging to the Stair Estate where my grandfather was a forester.

I am on holiday at the moment but will get the information to you .

suzilad

Offline akawither

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 02 March 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am researching the Withers of the Stoneykirk area. My great grandmother was the illegitimate daughter of a Samuel Wither. I have the MI booklet for Stoneykirk and there are lots of Wither graves there. I have pictures of most of them and happy to share anything relevant.
I will look at my notes tomorrow and try and match up your info with the Wither graves if possible and see any links to my tree.

Bernard

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 May 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi the picture shown on the earlier post is Kirkmaiden Churchyard, not Stoneykirk.

Offline douglasfleming1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 21 May 20 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I’m a newbie so go easy if I’m doing this wrong but looking to see if there is any records of MACRAE in either cemeteries.

Quite big family from Wigtownshire.

Thanks
Douglas