Author Topic: Can anyone translate Dutch to English?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Can anyone translate Dutch to English?
« on: Monday 21 June 10 23:45 BST (UK) »
It's a big ask I know but I'd love a transcription of this birth entry.  I know the gist, that the baby was given the mother's name as they weren't married but then the couple did get married and he was given the father's name Vanachter.
 It might be hard to read too!  :-[
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone translate Dutch to English?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
No, but I'll make a start and someone better can improve it.

In the year 1868 on the 24th may on the aforenamed day before me Philip Vandepatte official Mayor of the borough of the district of ?Opbrakel appeared Ursula Vantevembeke midwife aged ?50 years living at Nederbrakel who explained to us that today at seven (can't read next word in crease, part of the time?) in the morning at the house of the mother at Kempestraat here, Leonie Modde (word in crease) twenty ?six years old born and living here was delivered of a child of the male sex which she has (not untangled next bit) in the name of Joseph Rene Modde. then there are two more witnesses(getuigen) I think with their ages and occupations. I'll have another look when I get back from my family history meeting claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 19:07 BST (UK) »
Fabulous Clayton, thanks ever so much!  :)
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 23:33 BST (UK) »
Corrections
first line 1886
second line de burgerlijken stand is the Registry office
after mannlijk geslacht, of the male sex, twelk zy, whom she has (verloond?) en waaraan (means what or whatever) zy heeft she has (Verk--?) to give the name of Joseph Rene Modde, these declaring in support? Charles Lenis de Warganeum 48 (Occupation I can't read) and Joseph Deprez (occupation) 46 years old living in Nederbrukel appeared as witnesses and signed

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 00:10 BST (UK) »
Great clayton.  Wonder who the witnesses were, I haven't heard those names before.

I've tried to do a bit myself on babel fish but as I'm not familiar with the language I can't make a guess at what the word might be.  Sometimes I'm lucky and I get an odd word but it makes no sense!

Thanks again  :-*

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 17:15 BST (UK) »
Judging by all my Dutch birth certs the extra witnesses are just respectable local people. For instance Wouter van de Waal was registered 25 jan 1858 by his grandfather and the assisting witnesses were Cornelis Michielsen, tailor and Gerardus Wilhelmus Metsers clerk in the secretariat. So the main witness is more usually the grandfather or father, but the others are just to lend credibility, not relatives, as far as I know. Did you want anything doing with the bit down the side which is, as you said, about him being born illegitimate and being legitimized by his parents' marriage? I know very little Dutch but my sister speaks Dutch.I could ask her. Do you know about "recognizing"? I don't know if it's the same in Belgium as Holland, but there is a condition known as being recognized which is halfway between legitimacy and illegitimacy and may affect your inheritance rights. It's something I've only found out about recently. If you look into Dutch law there are some fascinating articles about it.claytonbradley

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 June 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
All fascinating stuff Bradley, thanks.

Yes if you could get the margin stuff translated, brilliant!

Don't know anything about 'recognizing' so yes any info gratefully received.

I've been trying for ages to get hold of some Begian certs and I finally found a website in Brakel where my relatives come from and a very helpful chap there sent me what you see - the birth register, which I was thrilled with!

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 June 10 18:35 BST (UK) »
Joseph Rene Modde van wande geboorte akte hier ?? staat is gewettigd geweest bij nader huwelijk zyne vader en moeder Victor Wanachter en Leonie Modde voltrokken voor ons ambtenaar heden Opbrakel den vierden mai achttien hunderd zeventachtig. De ambtenaar van der burgerlijken stand

Joseph Rene Modde of the facing birth certificate stands (hier?? another place word ?) has been legitimated by the later/recent marriage of his father and mother Victor Wanachter and Leonie Modde celebrated before us as Registrar today at Opbrakel the fourth May 1887. The Registrar of the Registry. (an ambtenaar is any official)
So he was born 1886 and they were married 1887?
In my family one couple married in 1817 and said two children born before marriage were theirs and they "recognized" them as theirs on marriage. However the first child is very unlikely to have been the man's child as the mother's father registered him and the first name of the child was not from either family, so probably the name of the real father. The second child was almost certainly that of the eventual husband as he registered her (without saying he wasn't married to the mother) and the name was a family name. However it does say here that Joseph Rene's father was Victor Vanachter and I don't know if Belgian law is different from Dutch.best wishes, claytonbradley and sister

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone translate Dutch to English? COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 June 10 19:34 BST (UK) »
Clayton, many, many thanks for your help here, it is very much appreciated.

Please give my big thanks to your lovely sister also.

Regards
Julia  :)