Author Topic: Silverlands orphanage, chertsey  (Read 9255 times)

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Silverlands orphanage, chertsey
« on: Tuesday 22 June 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Silverlands was at one time an orphanage for children of actors/actresses. I have a request from one of the orphans relatives to find out if he can visit this building. It has been closed and abandoned for several years, and I am led to believe that security staff patroll the grounds to keep out yobs. I have absolutely no idea who to contact, and live too far away to speak to one of the security guards !

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Gem x
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Silverlands orphanage, chertsey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have any further information regarding whereabouts in Chertsey, Silverlands was?
Dancy Dancey Crowter Binney Outred Cowdry Bowmer Kensett Alderton Akers Killick

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted Chertsey Museum at all?

http://www.runnymede.gov.uk/portal/site/Chertseymuseum

or the Chertsey Society?

They may be able to help.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
From the Description of Boundaries and Contents of Chertsey, Enumeration District 8 in 1891
"Comprising Botleys and Lyne Road, commencing at Arbor Grove and extending as far as Mr Hankey's Farm house, near the Anchor, with Silverlands, and cottage in the wood, Botleys House and Gardeners house and Lodge and Fox Hills.  ..."

Context - The Hankey's were occupiers/part occupiers of "Silverlands" in 1891 and 1881

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
Most recent mention of Silverlands (appearing with the word Chertsey) found in the London Gazette, is in 1996, with the full address being Silverlands Lodge, Holloway Hill, Chertsey, Surrey KT11 ORE.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
There re pictures and some posts about it here - it looks like an amazing building

http://www.derelicte.co.uk/silverlands-house

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OneBigFamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
There re pictures and some posts about it here - it looks like an amazing building

http://www.derelicte.co.uk/silverlands-house

Milly

What a brilliant find Milly!

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all of your useful ideas and links. I shall try and make a few phone calls in the morning and hopefull find out how to contact the owner ( apparently Dr Cheng ? bought it a few years back - as mentioned on the "urban "link...... so why oh why is this beautiful building just left standing ???, I only hope that it doesn't get pulled down, it has such an amazing history.

Gem x
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 23:48 BST (UK) »
I'm not too far from Chertsey - I may pop over and have a look and see if I can find it next time I go. I'll see if there are any signs outside.  I'm not volunteering to go and talk to strange security guards though!

let us know how you get on. I'll let you know if I find anything

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk