Author Topic: Prison sentence! (Completed Thanks)  (Read 5222 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prison sentence!
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 24 June 10 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy

It appears that Halswell School records are only available from 1880 - so too late for your FLEET family unfortunately.   :(     

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
Re: Prison sentence!
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 June 10 03:40 BST (UK) »
Honestly I think I am going potty, can not add up very well today.

I wonder if they lied about his age when convicted with his theft, so taking 5 years off his age may of allowed him a lighter sentence?  And he kept on saying he was 5 years younger.

Just been into the archives myself and got nowhere, so their departure is going to remain a mystery for some time.  I am sure it will be between 1855 and 1860 or 1857 as Louisa was born 1857 in NZ.

Better call it a day.  Mind going silly, must be the cold.

Suzy W

TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline opelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Prison sentence! (Completed Thanks)
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 February 18 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi theres a brother George listed on the "Founders and survivors" site Tasmania This might be useful Often brothers immigrated later

Offline Caraloft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 06 February 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »
A little more on the Fleet kids:
The youngest daughter of William and Sabina Fleet is Miriam (Marie Ann or Mary Ann) may have been born 1859 - 1864.

Miriam Fleet is my 2 x Grandmother.

Miriam married Edward Dartnall O'Neil in 1882.
Their son Edward Harold O'Neill (Great Grandfather) married my Great Grandmother Ida Emery
Ida and Edward O'Neill had a daughter - Shirley O'Neill (my Grandmother) in Saint Andrews
Shirley O'Neill married Colin John King (Temuka)
Shirley and Colin had a daughter - Carol Ida King
Carol Ida married Robin White
I am the daught of Carol and Robin (Bob) - Timaru

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 February 23 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Caraloft ... welcome to RootsChat.   :)

The youngest daughter of William and Sabina Fleet is Miriam (Marie Ann or Mary Ann) may have been born 1859 - 1864.

Just thought I'd let you know of the following RC baptism.   
This is from the - "Catholic Diocese of Christchurch - Baptism Database - V1.2" :  Index only, giving Name / Parish / Date of Baptism.   [Baptismal certificates are available from Catholic Archives in ChCh - cost (now) I think is about $10.  ]

Four children of Sabina and William FLEET were baptised together on 29 May 1857 at Cathedral parish ... and another 3 in 1858/1860/1861 :   The following is very likely your Miriam (Mary Ann) ?

FLEET - Mary Ann - baptised 2 June 1860 - Parish Cathedral

~   Lu

Offline Suzy W

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The only way forward is backwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 09 February 23 04:58 GMT (UK) »

Miriam married Edward Dartnall O'Neil in 1882.
Their son Edward Harold O'Neill (Great Grandfather) married my Great Grandmother Ida Emery
Ida and Edward O'Neill had a daughter - Shirley O'Neill (my Grandmother) in Saint Andrews
Shirley O'Neill married Colin John King (Temuka)
Shirley and Colin had a daughter - Carol Ida King
Carol Ida married Robin White
I am the daught of Carol and Robin (Bob) - Timaru

My mother in-law is a Fleete by birth, the "e" was added later by her side of the family.   Her line is from Joseph Fleet born 1861, then Percy, then Leo.
TEW family of Leire/Leicester and New Zealand
MERRICKS of Stafford/Birmingham
PENTECOST of Surrey and New Zealand
POTENTIER of France, England and Canada
WATKINS of London and New Zealand
WHITAKER of Guiseley Yorkshire and New Zealand
LYALL, of Dundee, Caithness and New Zealand

And far too many to add

Offline Caraloft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 February 23 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy!

I figured Joseph's had added added the 'e' to Fleet ... well i made that assumption when looking at NZ BDM, it was the only thing that made sense.  Not entirely sure where they felt the need to change their name

I live a stone throw from Fleete Street in Avondale  when i drove past it a few weeks ago after learning that my Great Great Grandmother was a Fleet and i had already found Joseph and Percy plus some other family members i figured what's the chance?  I googled about the history of Fleete St and sure enough it was named after Percival Lonsdale Fleete.

A few weeks ago i stumbled across a marriage certificate that was for my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother O'Neill and on the certificate was Miriam Fleet after having my family tree wrong at this point for the past couple of years.  So Miriam and Edward Dartnall O'Neill lived in Saint Andrews south of Timaru. They had three children:  Edward Harold, Irene Vivian Moncrieff & Vivien Walderma (who died as a baby).

It made sense because my great aunties middle name was Miriam and my Grandmother's middle name was Irene, not sure where Vivian and the other unusual names come from, but i'm guessing they are somewhere further up the line.

The Conviction Records on William and Sabina that i found are rather interesting as well:

https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/fleet/william/56913
https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/collins/sabina/129683

Offline Caraloft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 February 23 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Caraloft ... welcome to RootsChat.   :)

Just thought I'd let you know of the following RC baptism.   
This is from the - "Catholic Diocese of Christchurch - Baptism Database - V1.2" :  Index only, giving Name / Parish / Date of Baptism.   [Baptismal certificates are available from Catholic Archives in ChCh - cost (now) I think is about $10.  ]

Four children of Sabina and William FLEET were baptised together on 29 May 1857 at Cathedral parish ... and another 3 in 1858/1860/1861 :   The following is very likely your Miriam (Mary Ann) ?

FLEET - Mary Ann - baptised 2 June 1860 - Parish Cathedral

~   Lu

Hi Lucy,

Sorry, i almost missed your reply.  Thank you for replying with that info ;-)

I am guessing the entry in the NZ BDM Births dated 1859 with the name NR (No Record) is most likely Miriam's birth record.

The more time i spend looking through the NZ BDM the more i am finding how much is wrong on there.... guess that is what happens when you digitise the old records.

I only have 4 x Fleet children's names from William and Sibby:
- George
- Louisa
- Miriam
- Joseph Bernard

I searched for 'Catholic Diocese of Christchurch - Baptism Database - V1.2' and could only find references to records being on a CD

Are there any digital records?

I use mostly Familysearch and The Ancestry Library.
I had a sub to Myheritage but i found between FamilySearch and the Ancestry Library i was getting better results so stopped using Myheritage.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 10 February 23 19:00 GMT (UK) »

I am guessing the entry in the NZ BDM Births dated 1859 with the name NR (No Record) is most likely Miriam's birth record.

The NR actually means "Not Recorded" (i.e.  the forename(s) of the child, were not recorded at time the birth was registered.)
Yes, the 1859 record at NZ BDM online, is very likely the child baptised as Mary Ann FLEET in 1860.
[ This child has a birthdate of "02 December 1859" :  birthdate deduced from NZ BDM online birth registration listing -- see here for further details on how to do this >      https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=745785.0     ]

I simply gave you the information about the baptism record being available because - unlike the birth registration at NZ BDM - it gives the child's full name.   If you chose to purchase the baptism certificate, (at a much lesser cost than a birth registration "printout" from NZ BDM) you'd have more
complete official record.

I searched for 'Catholic Diocese of Christchurch - Baptism Database - V1.2' and could only find references to records being on a CD

Are there any digital records?

Apologies, mention of (Catholic Baptism Database) being on CD was omitted from my reference to it when I went back to add a correction to the title of this resource.
So yes, it's on CD (available for searching at some libraries/repositories in NZ) or the Catholic Archives at Christchurch sell the CD.    But as explained previously, it is only an index - from which you can make an application (to Catholic Archives) for a copy of the baptism record.

There are no online digital records.

~   Lu

Added :   Here is a link to Catholic Archives in Christchurch >
https://archives.chchcatholic.nz/about-the-archives/research/
Scroll down to "Research Section"  > Research Fees :  There is a contact link further down page.