Author Topic: Swords, Kinsella and Burke of Mounthoward  (Read 21490 times)

Offline Marion B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Swords, Kinsella and Burke of Mounthoward
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 19:38 GMT (UK) »
With regards the Burke Connection, I know that all these names are in my family who orginated from Monamolin.

I think that the Patrick Burke you are referring to is my great, great uncle. I have very scant knowledge as I live in England but my great grandfather, Thomas Burke, was born c1880. He married Catherine Murphy who became known as 'Mrs Bow wow?' and she died aged 100 in 1974. They are buried in Monamolin churchyard and I think they were known for training horses or having stables.

When I visited a while ago, I was told there are descendents still around the area: Kinsellas, Kavanaghs, Cousins feature prominently.

I have a photo (attached) of a gravestone in Monamolin churchyard which may help. My GG uncle was Patrick Burke who died on 30 March 1963 aged 81. Margaret Burke, his wife, died 27 October 1961 aged 80. They are interred with their son Michael who died 21 April 1953 aged 39. Of more interest to you is that also interred are a Kinsella family.

Wexford (Monamolin, Kilmuckridge, Mounthoward): Burke, Kinsella, Swords, Murphy, Sinnott, (Ballygarrett): Ivory, Byrne, Redmond.

Roscommon: Mullen, 
Monaghan: Edgar, McGowan

Offline moguemosey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Burke of Mounthoward
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 June 11 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Marion,

Sorry for the delay in answering your post.

Thank you very much for the lovely photo of the grave of Patrick Burke who died 30th March 1963. That is the family I am researching.

The “Pattern” in Monamolin is on the 19th of June at 2pm, at which I will be meeting Patrick Ivory who I think is of the Ivory family you are researching. He has researched a lot of his Ivory family history. I will find out what I can of the family of Mary Ivory who married Patrick Burke, son of Tom the Jock.

On your Murphy side if you look in the 1901 Census for Coolroe, DED Ford you will see Tom the Jock and family living with his mother in law Maria Murphy.

In the 1911 Census you will see that Tom the Jock has moved to Cullentra, DED Killenagh, but his son Patrick Burke has stayed with his widowed Grandmother on the Farm.

In the 1911 census you will find Mary Murphy and her Grandson Patrick BOURKE age 12yrs in Coolroe DED Ford. Mary is a widow with 6 children still living of 8 born alive. I am told that she had triplets.

Tom the Jock’s wife was one, another daughter married a Carr, another married “Big Mick” Burke of Mounthoward, I have not yet connected this Mick Burke to our Burke line. Another daughter married a Timmons. Another daughter may have married a Brennan.

I think the families of Big Mick Burke, Timmons and Brennan are buried in Ballyoughter Cemetery.

The two sisters in their 70’s Mrs Mick Burke and Mrs Timmons who lived beside each other in adjoining houses in Ballycanew walked the 7 miles or so to visit their sister Mrs Tom the Jock near Kilmuckridge.

Back to our Burke line:
Tom the Jock Burke was on of 8 children born to Patrick Burke and Margaret Swords. You will find Patrick Burke 50yrs and Margaret Burke (nee Swords) 52yrs on sheet 6 in Mounthoward Lower DED Monamolin.

This house at sheet 6 is the home place of Margaret Swords, she was born there. Margaret’s father Michael Swords, originally from Co. Carlow married into this house, when he married Mary Kinsella in 1832. It belonged to Kinsella’s of the Stream.

The 8 known children of Patrick Burke and Margaret Swords are:
Elizabeth
Mary
Thomas born 8th March 1872
Michael
Charles
Patrick born 8th Nov. 1879
Margaret
John

I have the marriages of 5 siblings. Of the other 3 John (Jack) went to Dublin, I have no other information about him. I do not know what happened to Elizabeth and Charles.

I hope Marion that some of the information above is new to you.
I would love to have any information you have to help sort out the rest of the family from all the other Burke families in the area.

As well as graves of Tom the Jock and Patrick Burke in Monamolin Graveyard, another brother Michael is buried there. I will try to attach the photo.

Regards
Mogue.

All in County Wexford
Breslin/Breslawn: Monaseed
Burke: Monamolin.
Byrne: Ballycanew.
Cullimore: Killurin.
Dempsey: North Co.Wexford
Doyle: Horetown.
Doyle: Killurin.
Doyle: Newbawn.
Fardy: Killurin.
Kinsella: Ballycanew.
Kinsella: Killenagh.
Kinsella: Monamolin.
Larkin: Killurin.
Lumsden: All Wexford
Moran: Adamstown.
Moran: Killurin.
Mythen: Oulart.
Ryan: Killurin.
Swords: Monamolin.
Tee/Tighe: Coolafancy, Co. Wicklow.
Tighe/Tee Monaseed.
Wafer: Ballygarrett/Monamolin

Offline Marion B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 December 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mogue.

Thanks for this info. Just stumbled on it as when I signed on here it was to a junk mail only e-mail account! How wrong I was to do that.  Your information is really interesting. I will have a look at the Murphy side. All Monamolin must be related so when people moved to England in the 1940s onwards, it must have been a great relief to the gene pool!

Wow! Tom the Jock one of 8? I had only heard of his brother Thomas. So my grandfather stayed with his widowed granny? My own father (also called Patrick) had to do the same when his Mum (Mary Ivory) died. All these reoccurring patterns...

I've spoken to Paddy Ivory (lovely chap!!) in the past. Even though Ivory must be a pretty uncommon name, it doesn't appear that we have any direct connection. How odd is that?

I'll have to encode my e-mail address. It's * I would love to have more information on the Swords family. What a great name.

Many thanks.

Marion  :D

Moderator Note : (*) personal email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please use PM system (Personal message) to exchange personal details
Wexford (Monamolin, Kilmuckridge, Mounthoward): Burke, Kinsella, Swords, Murphy, Sinnott, (Ballygarrett): Ivory, Byrne, Redmond.

Roscommon: Mullen, 
Monaghan: Edgar, McGowan

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Swords, who may not be related, but general info.

1881England/Wales census;
Michael Swords; (Wexford) Head, 28, Stoker (Bleaches)
Ellen; wife, 27 (Castlegallard Wexford)

Litle Bolton Lancashire
-----
Kate Swords; 25, servant (Wexford)

Stourton Villas, Ilkley York
(Joseph Smith; Head)
------------------
Inmates Wexford Prison; 1859

Peter Swords; 21, Killulg Wexford
Assault;
For Trial
-----------------
Tithe Defaulter 1831;
Thomas Swords; farmer,
Place; Garryhaslin
Parish; Moyacomb
Union of Parishes; Clonegal or Moyacomb
Barony; Scarawash
-------------
Persons who lodged applications with the Estate Commissioners of Evicted Tenants;
Peter Swords; Macmine Enniscorthy
Present occupier; L. Breen Yearly tenant.
Circumstances of applicant; 3 in family.
-----------
Landed Estates & Court Rentals;
Michael Swords; 1853, Kiltealy; Yearly tenant, determinable each year.
--------
Griffiths Valuation of Ireland;

Bridget Swords; 1853, Kiltealy Templeshambo
Patrick Swords; 1853 Mobeg Templeshambo
Peter Swords; 1853 Rathgaroge Ballyanne
Michael Swords; 1853 Mounthoward Lower, Monamolin
=================
Jack

Offline andyb1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 December 11 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mogue

I'm just tying up some loose ends.  Not sure if you ever obtained any further information on the Swords family.  if not just to let you know that I've just sent for the marriage certificate of James Swords and Mary Lacey from 1869.  Also their death certificates from 1915 and 1910 respectively.

If you would like copies please let me know via PM

Andrew

Offline Irish Settlement

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 March 12 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the Kinsley (Kinsella) families who settled in an area referred to as The Irish Settlement in northeastern Pennsylvania. I think I have some information that may be connected to the individuals you seek. I have not personally done the research on the Swords, but I do have extensive information on the Kinsella (Kinsley) families especially after they emigrated to the United States.

These Kinsleys were the children of James Kinsley and Mary Sinott. James was born circa 1754 in Lower Mount Howard. His known siblings were thought to be Arthur, Catherine, and Anastasia Kinsella.

Their known children were:

Elizabeth -- according to an advert placed 4 Nov 1871 by her brother, John Kinsley, in The Boston Pilot, Elizabeth married Thomas Keougho [sic] and was a resident of the "parish of Balloughkean, county Wexford." The ad stated they had not heard from the family in about 20 years and he was searching for information on Elizabeth's sons, Daniel and Martin.

John -- was born in 1805 in Lower Mount Howard. He married Catherine Quinn in 1828. Catherine had a twin sister, Mary Ann, who married Patrick Stafford, who also emigrated to the Irish Settlement. They lived out their lives in the area.

James -- was born about 1807. He married a Margaret Havey about 1832. He and his family emigrated to the Irish Settlement in 1849.

Mary -- married Michael Swords. They had two known children -- Margaret and Thomas. Margaret married Patrick Burke.

Michael -- was born about 1810. He married a woman named Margaret who died young. It is not known if he ever had children. He lived out the rest of his life in the Irish Settlement with his brother William.

William -- was born about 1812. He emigrated about 1840. He appeared to be a bachelor and lived with several of his brothers and their families throughout his lifetime.

Catherine -- was born about 1815 and married Patrick Swords around 1844. They had at least five children.

David  -- was born about 1816. He married a woman named Nora. He lived out his life in Towanda, Pa, about 30 miles north of the Irish Settlement. His family went by the name Kingsley.

Patrick -- was born about 1817. He briefly lived with the O'Neill and Murphy families in Liverpool and then sailed with them to NYC in 1841. The families settled in the Irish Settlement, but nothing is known of Patrick after he arrived.

Ellen -- was born about 1818. She married Michael Corcoran. They briefly settled in Rochester, NY, but later relocated to the Irish Settlement.

Miles -- very little is known about Miles except that he had a daughter named Elizabeth.  This information was obtained from a 18 Nov 1865 ad in The Boston Pilot in which John Kinsley was searching for information about his niece, Elizabeth Daley, wife of Owen. Miles is also mentioned in one of the will's of his brothers along with his daughter Elizabeth.

Offline Trying hard2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 06:36 BST (UK) »

Hi Marion.

This is the headstone of my G Grandparents  Patrick and Margaret Burke in Monamolin Graveyard.
 Their daughter Margaret was my Granny, she lived in Ballygarrett and married 3 times(bless her).

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 August 12 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is also the grave of my G Grandparents ( I have visited it twice) my Grandad was John (Jack) Burke and he had a sister called Margaret but was called Maggie like her mother, she had a daughter called Maureen, is this your family ? I understand that she lived in England as I have a photo of her when she went back home for a visit, which I got from Bridge who is the widow of a brother called Kevin Burke. I have been over to Ireland and made a lot of contacts with the help of Michael (Mogue see above) even meeting a brother of my Gdad, Marks Burke who is still alive. I am very interested if this is the same family in any info or photo's you may have. You can always pm me if you don't want it public.
cheers
Steve
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Trying hard2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 August 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
This is the same family definitely, but  I have made a mistake in G.Grandparents details, I will get back to you shortly with the correct info. Good to hear from you.