Author Topic: Neil, Barclay in Bellsquarry  (Read 13063 times)

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Neil, Barclay in Bellsquarry
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 October 10 12:16 BST (UK) »
Oh well Old Age doesn't come itself, however, I've only ever known it as the Elm Tree, which Henry Spurway was running, though as a child I didn't pay a lot of attention to pubs!!   Sadly can't ask my Dad who would have given me chapter and verse on the place.....

cheers ...  Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline fenultimate

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 October 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Blinkyman & Meg.  I've neglected this side of my searching to get on with my mother's side in South Lanarkshire, plus researching a new book (fiction), which may well feature Camilty Poothermill and even the Barclay Arms/Elm Tree, as well as Whitehill Colliery and the Roslin Poothermill near Penicuik.  I was able to obtain book shown below from West Lothian Library

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 October 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Allan,

now why did you buy Camilty, I've got it here, in fact caused a wee stooshie as some of the quotes were from something I'd put together and my laddie took exception to it so contacted the head of library services, Lord, know he was protecting his mother but I'd have let it alone!!

Glad to hear you're still writing .....

cheers .... Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline fenultimate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 October 10 07:33 BST (UK) »
Ah well, Meg, it didnae cost a fortune!!  Now the trick is working out the bits that you wrote!!
I also bought an excellent CD (below) about the Roslin Works.  Unfortunately none of the photos within are copyable.  There's a mention of a Barclay but no indication if he was one of the workers who commuted daily from the Cauthers after Camilty closed.  It has proved to be a double-edged sword as there is another family Neil, living almost cheek by jowl with my lot and working at the Poothermill.  Lots of Jameses on both sides. One Sam was killed in 1890 in an explosion that took another five besides him.  He may be the common denominator.

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 October 10 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Allan,

The Roslin book looks good, must see if WLFHS can get their hands on a copy ....   Saw the Samuel who died in the 1890's but didn't get his DC and there's quite a few of the Neil's in Burngrange but didn't chase them until you'd sorted out the first can of worms I opened for you - I'm good at that!!   

Chasing Buchans from St Combs, Lonmay, Aberdeenshire for a wee lassie at Ian's work and good god in govan, think there's only three families inhabited the village, Buchan's, Bruce's and Strachan's - Buchan's marrying Buchan's, Buchan's marrying Bruce's and vice versa and same with the Strachan's - I was fair dizzy this weekend her GTGt Grandfather was Alex Buchan who married Margaret Bruce - ah .......  but three Alex Buchans all born within three years of each other, all married Margaret Bruce - again within three years of each other - so I was upside down, inside out and fair round about with them all!!   Keeps life interesting I suppose!!

Time for the feet up as I'll be at a meeting of WLFHS tomorrow night, if I can find the place it's being held at, (different venue this time) - topic Researching Irish Ancestors - hope it helps with some of my brick walls, but we'll see .....

take care, cheers .... Meg

Offline fenultimate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
Some years ago a friend was telling me of the trouble he was having tracing his family, which came from a small village in Norfolk.  It seems there were four families in the village all with the SAME name, but separated enough to be able to intermarry!!!
Look in your Email inbox where I have left Winnie Stevenson's E-address.
Allan

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 11:18 BST (UK) »
hi,
'Chasing Buchans from St Combs, Lonmay, Aberdeenshire for a wee lassie at Ian's work and good god in govan, think there's only three families inhabited the village, Buchan's, Bruce's and Strachan's - Buchan's marrying Buchan's, Buchan's marrying Bruce's and vice versa and same with the Strachan's - I was fair dizzy this weekend her GTGt Grandfather was Alex Buchan who married Margaret Bruce - ah .......  but three Alex Buchans all born within three years of each other, all married Margaret Bruce - again within three years of each other - so I was upside down, inside out and fair round about with them all!!   Keeps life interesting I suppose!!'

I have Buchan's on mytree from Aberdeen.  William Buchan, 1838, born Aberdeen, marrying Christina Laurence, 1840, born Brechin.

Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline fenultimate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
I can understand how you feel.  A few years ago a friend of mine started out along this now familiar path.  He found origins in a small village in Norfolk where there were four families, all with the same name, related distantly enough to interbreed legally!  And interbreed is what they did.  No they weren't called Rabbett, though they should have been!
Allan

Offline fenultimate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
The wee lassie about the Buchans would be LindyLou?  Somehow I got her message too.  Serves me right for being such a technophobe!!
Allan