Author Topic: Capel Rehoboth, Harlech & Rhosygwalia, Bala  (Read 6487 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Capel Rehoboth, Harlech & Rhosygwalia, Bala
« on: Sunday 27 June 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
Some members of my family have been buried here - William Lloyd &  Elliw Lloyd whose grave I have found.  I believe a Robert Howell Lloyd of LLandudno ( a great uncle ) I think I know which grave he is buried in but the inscription is too faded - I used to have a photo of the grave but can't find it !

My great grandmother apparently has also been buried here - Mary Ann Evans according to some notes I have from her daughter (now deceased).  I had a trawl through the graves but couldn't find it.  I do not know her date of death either - as far as I know she lived in Rhosygwalia but wanted to be buried near her parents - not her husband who was buried in Rhosygwalia - he died in 1929 and the inscription says "here lies Evan Evans husband of Mary Evans of Rhosygwalia who died July 1929.  His mother is also buried in the same grave, she was called Mary Williams.  I am assuming that because it says husband of Mary Evans not husband of the late Mary Evans that she was still alive when he died.  have done a bmd search for both Mary Williams and Mary Ann but you can imagine the number of hits.

Mary Ann and Evan are in Trealaw, Glamorgan in 1911 as I knew - but cannot seem to find Mary Williams.

Does any one know where I might find a burial register for this chapel - as far as I can see they are still burying here.  Tomorrow I shall contact the local undertakers - they sometimes know who !

Also does anyone know anything of Rhosygwalia, near Bala.  The church there is closed and so is the chapel.  Any information would be apprecatiated.

Thank you

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Capel Rehoboth, Harlech & Rhosygwalia, Bala
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 June 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
If you go to this web site it has contact numbers for the Baptist churches that are still open in Merionethshire

http://www.buw.org.uk/index.php?Itemid=15&option=com_bf_churchdirectory&task=index&region_id=3

A call to the Harlech number might be able to provide details of which church registers are still in use and where others might have been archived.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 June 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
brilliant thanks
N

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 12 10:35 BST (UK) »
Just an update on this; I contacted the people who held the burial register for the chapel in Harlech but they seemed very vague and sadly never got back to me.

N

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Capel Rehoboth, Harlech & Rhosygwalia, Bala - Scottish Baptist
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 September 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Popping this back up as have been working on this side of the family.   Off for another trawl around the graveyard again tomorrow plus the church inharlech and llandanwg - have found out that the family had a very long history in the harlech area and are very early non-conformists.  Family line is Howell.
If anyone has any more information about the Scottish Babtists in Merioneth and Caernarfonshire  I would really appreciate their input.  Many thanks
Nesat

Offline brwynog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
This booklet gives a lot of information about Capel Rehoboth.
Traethawd ar hanes y Bedyddwyr Albanaidd yn Harlech (1891) by William Williams.
It is available to view (when they reopen) at the Dolgellau Archives.
Also Bangor University Archives has the manuscript list of members dating back to 1819.

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you; since I posted in 2016 I've managed to do a bit more research about this, been to Dolgellau several times, to the National Library and also to the University archive in Bangor.    The family is still proving quite elusive.  When my cousins and I had our DNA tested its showing a strong link to the LLandanwg area but I'm finding it hard to link the families.
Nesta

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Forgot also to say that there are many more of my family there other than just the ones mentioned - Howell, from very early in the 19th century up to nearly today.

Do you have a link to the Scottish baptist families ?

Thanks