Author Topic: McVey General store cookstown  (Read 8086 times)

Offline mervyn greer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McVey General store cookstown
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 August 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
Also as a signature to the Ulster Covenant in 1912 there is a David G McVey with address in Molesworth Street, Cookstown listed.
For further investigation you could try the local church records-Derryloran Parish, !st and 3rd Cookstown Presbyterian Churches.

Offline ultimo01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 September 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara:

Perhaps this may shed some light on your McVey question -

McVey Brothers Hardware store was located in Molesworth Street Cookstown. I grew up in Cookstown in the 1940's and knew the store well. It was owned by Cyrus and Noel Brown, who both worked in the store. Cyrus' wife, Irene, kept the books for them. I believe that Irene may originally have been a McVey, who I believe also owned a store in Ardtrea just outside of Cookstown. In any event, after Noel died Cyrus continued to run the business until his death and then Cyrus and Irene's only child, Ivan, assumed control of the business. Since I left Cookstown in 1956, I do not know if the business continues to operate today.

You might want to try contacting Ivan; I'm not certain but the following may be his address and telephone number: **

Regards .... Carmen in Canada

** Moderator's Note: please send addresses abnd telephone numbers by PM (personal message) rather than posting online (each party needs 3 posts to use PM system
Ferguson, Henry, Tannahill, Kennedy, Black, Catherwood

Offline ultimo01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 October 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara - attached is a little additional information that shows McVeys were 'running' the store in 1911 per the 1911 Census:

Carmen in Canada

Moderator's Note: census image removed. Please see here for complete household entry-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Cookstown_Urban/Molesworth_Street/858649

Offline ultimo01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 19:01 GMT (UK) »
McVey's store still exists in Molesworth Street Cookstown. And you are correct, it was, and still is, owned by 'Brown's', current owner is Ian Brown son of the Brown that you mentioned (Cyrus and his wife Irene). Cyrus' brother Noel also worked in the store. I have been gone from Cookstown for over 65 years but know the store is still there. I believe that either Cyrus or Irene was related to the McVey's and that's why the McVey connection.

Carmen in Canada