Author Topic: Robinsons Shipbuilders, Sunderland 1839-1870s  (Read 16063 times)

Offline URABUS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robinsons Shipbuilders, Sunderland 1839-1870s
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 July 10 04:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Stan, I am so grateful for the help I have received from you and others. We are looking forward to coming to Sunderland later this year.
Have you any idea where Gibson Tce and Ropery Walk were/are?
I have a copy of an article from the Sunderland & Durham County Herald 9/7/1841 which refers to the firm of James Robinson and Sons and an Indenture of Assignment of all personal estate and effects to an Anthony Dodd Newton (Timber Merchant) and Scarth Robinson (Merchant Tailor) for the benefit of the creditors of James Robinson & Sons. Presumably this is a declaration of bankruptcy and essentially all their assets would have been taken? Obviously they later built most of their ships so the must have started afresh. Any comments? Was it common? How hard must it have been (no welfare state to provide support)?
Any help you can give will be very much appreciated.
Les
Andrew, Smailes,Southeron,Buckham,Gardin, Thompson, Rutter, Blake, Robinson, Morrow,Nixon,Westgarth, Brogden Beckwith, Slee Yorkshire,  Durham, Cumberland/Westmorland.
Swanborough, Sims/Shipman, Amor in Wiltshire.
Sellar(s), McPherson from Aberdeen & Banff.
Brown, Fudge, Laintoll, Donohoe, Carmody, South Australia but also from UK and Ireland originally

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 July 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Les,
Do you mean Ropery Lane and Gibson's Lane? Ropery Lane was at 75 High Street East, and Gibson's Lane was off Burdon Lane at 50 High Street East. There was also a Ropery Lane in Monkwearmouth. Where did you get the names from?
Go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm for Ropery Lane enter the coordinates 440553, 557406 in to 'Search' and it will centre the map on where it was. Similarly for Gibson's Lane/Burdon Lane enter 440443, 557280.
There is an 1851 map at http://lewis.dur.ac.uk/pip/singlezoom.asp?img=p2650&ref1=2415
The 1840s were years of severe depression.
From "Building Ships on the North East Coast" volume 1, by J. F. Clarke, page 83
"Launches declined sharply on the Wear from the beginning of 1841. There was then a sustained trough from May 1842 to the start of 1845. The bankruptcies of the shipbuilders began as early as August 1840 with James Carr of Southwick; a timber merchant  Mitclam held security on Carr's ships and yard. At least forty builders failed, including many long and well established yards, in this the first of all too many sustained depressions. There were 31 empty shops on the High Street in February 1843, and during June 500 workmen were on relief."
This would be Parish Relief.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline URABUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 06:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan,
Thanks for your help.
The 1871 Census shows the families of John Small Andrew and John Robinson living at 13 and 14 Gibson Terrace Sunderland in the municipal ward of St. Michael. The Description of Enumeration District is unusual as all it shows is "additional enumeration book" and  "totals carried to first book" Also William Henry Andrew's birth certificate (born 21/11/1868) shows him as born at 7 Gibson Tce North Bishopwearmouth.
The 1861 Census at  North Bishopwearmouth West Ward show James Robinson (b 1784) at Ropery Walk. In the census the street immediately before Ropery Walk is "Kendle St", the street after is shown simply as "Deptford"
Where does Bishopwearmouth sit on a modern Sunderland map?
I am sorry if I am "going on a bit" but you have all fired me up to know more!
regards
Les
Andrew, Smailes,Southeron,Buckham,Gardin, Thompson, Rutter, Blake, Robinson, Morrow,Nixon,Westgarth, Brogden Beckwith, Slee Yorkshire,  Durham, Cumberland/Westmorland.
Brown, Fudge, Laintoll, Donohoe, Carmody, South Australia but also from UK and Ireland originally

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Les,
You cannot show Bishopwearmouth on the modern map, the area of originally  consisted of two parishes, Bishopwearmouth, and Monkwearmouth. The parish of Sunderland was formed out of Bishopwearmouth in 1719. The whole area south of the river consisted of North Bishopwearmouth, South Bishopwearmouth, and Sunderland.
You can see a map of Bishopwearmouth at http://nd.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice/dro.nsf/vwebparishes/bishopwearmouth+st.+michael+and+all+angels

The streets you mention are all in Deptford, Ropery Walk became Ropery Road, and Kendal Street is marked but I have not yet found Gibson Terrace.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
This is another map showing the boundaries http://lewis.dur.ac.uk/pip/singlezoom.asp?img=p2389&ref1=2260

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 13:55 BST (UK) »
Gibson Terrace was on the south side of Chester Road
On http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm the coordinates 439070, 556710 will locate Gibson Terrace, which must have  been built just before the 1871 census.
Ropery Road is at 438420, 557735

Stan

Offline URABUS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 06:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Stan, great stuff!
Les

Offline millie8

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 12:35 BST (UK) »
James Robinson (born Skelton 1784) was also an ancestor of mine with his second son James being my 2 x GG father. To date I have had little success in researching any further back than James snr and have few details save that I think his wife was Mary. Their son James married Jane Robinson from Loftus. I do however have all of their son’s (a third James) birth, marriage and death certificates and the original census details from 1851 showing both families living side by side in Mount Pleasant together with a servant girl each.
I am fairly new to research and have found the information on the shipbuilding subject so far very helpful. Thank you Stan, it’s been brilliant to read your replies.
Both my late father and grandfather  were master mariners with the British India line and although none of their descendants has followed in their footsteps (does rowing count?) we are all very proud of our heritage.
I was told by an elderly aunt decades ago that the book “Where Ships were Born: Sunderland 1346-1946 mentions the Robinsons contribution and understand that it is still in circulation. 
Good luck in your own research
Millie

Bambrough, Armour, Shaw, Robinson, McQueen, Seymour, Seamor, Durham,Whitby and Skelton North Yorks
Haynes, Drummond,Hogarth,Utting, Westminster and St James London.
Gollan,Scotland and Australia,
Dobbin, D'Aubin,Rosser,Summers, Kent,Milford,London,Australia
Oscroft Notts and Lincs.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 13:23 BST (UK) »

I was told by an elderly aunt decades ago that the book “Where Ships were Born: Sunderland 1346-1946 mentions the Robinsons contribution and understand that it is still in circulation. 
Good luck in your own research
Millie

Hi Millie
Welcome to RootsChat
"Where Ships are Born, Sunderland 1346-1946" is long out of print, the last version to be printed was the Wear Shipbuilders Association Centenary Edition, 1953. You can still get second hand copies.
Stan