Author Topic: AUHL genealogy in Australia  (Read 11711 times)

Offline ross3064

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AUHL genealogy in Australia
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 June 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
I tried to send my email but roots stopped me. however I could try again but they said I haven't posted enough stuff on roots so until I do the will stop me sending my email address. however that situation can be reversed. if you would like to try.

I would be very interested to see to connections in the family as I was raised to believe that Alme died at a young age but could not prove it. My father was left on the door step of Alex's parents house in Oxford Street, North Geelong. They had a note which I don’t have and a birth extract naming mother only but I believe the note said that Alme had died in child birth and with a broken hart they were moving back to England, the left no address or any means of contact.  Joseph and Alice(nee Pawson) Wilson took my father in and named him Gordon Brendon Wilson. 
 I am now 61 and have been trying have been trying to research Alme for a  few years now but before that I had to be careful not to upset my mother. In my research I have found that Johann and Anna Auhl were buried in the east Geelong cemetery in an unmarked grave. Which I have visited and they are not far from some of my other relatives in the same cemetery.
My Father didn't find out about this until he was in his twentys and wanted to get married at that point he had to be change his name by de-pole and be adopted which would have thrown him a bit as he believed until then that he was a Wilson, Recently I got his birth certificate but it didn't throw much more light on the subject, no father and no parent for Alme. So my investigations ave been a bit difficult to verify but the more I searched the more I believed I was on the right track. So your note has been gold and I would like to see your family tree if you have one.

Regard
Ross

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 13 June 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Ross,

I have sent you my email address via the PM method so if you look at your "MY MESSAGES" you should see a message waiting.

Gerry 

Offline earlybird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 June 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
Though my post is not relevant to the topic I wondered whether you were familiar with the South Australian author Ian Auhl. He wrote a number of books about South Australian history, in particular the Burra district where I believe he lived for many years.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/people/458216?q&l-birth=1914&l-death=1996&c=people

RULE - Cornwall,  SMITHAM, Smitheram (and variations of spelling) - Cornwall,
Elizabeth Jane HARRIS - Kapunda,South Aust/Wentworth,NSW/Mildura,Vic & HARRIS in Kalgoolie/Coolgardie region - West Aust., Thomas KNIGHT - BURRA, GILLESPIE

Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 30 June 13 23:14 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the post earybird and information on Ian Auhl's books, I haven't seen any of these, I'd be interested in the one relating to Gawler and I'll follow up with the State Library of Quuensland.

Gerry

Offline coober

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 December 16 03:19 GMT (UK) »
I connect to the Bitter/Auhl history through Emilie Sophie Lehmann who married Friedrich Hermann Christopher Bitter,greatnephew of Sophie Dorothea Bitter who  married Heinrich Johann Christian Auhl
They arrived together in 1848 on the "President smidt"accompanied by her child Christoph Joachim Fritz Bitter,born 22/3/1846 Detershagen,Mecklenberg,Prussia.Does anyone know what happened to this child?thank you

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 December 16 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have been researching the Auhl/Bitter family for a few years now I have not found a death or burial records for the child.  The death Certificates for Sophia and Heinrich do not mention the child either.

Gerry

Offline HG1971

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 April 24 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
I'm a descendant of Christoff Auhl, Heinrich's brother. I'm currently electronically documenting all the family history we have.
After reading through this thread, I note the following from our records:
- August Heinrich Auhl died 16/10/1914, buried Cockburn.
- Johann Otto Auhl died 9/12/1907, buried Geelong.
- Ian Auhl described earlier in the thread is actually Ian Leslie Auhl (1914-1996), son of John/Albert Auhl and grandson of August Heinrich Auhl.
I have a nine page typed document by Ian Leslie Auhl describing the Heinrich Auhl descendants.
Let me know if you have any requests for more details.
Regards, Gary.