Author Topic: AUHL genealogy in Australia  (Read 11678 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AUHL genealogy in Australia
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 23:29 BST (UK) »

Kris,

Wow, you have done a lot of research and confirms my findings.

Heinrich and Sophia were married at Klemzig on 26th Sept 1848 and the marriage was registered ok.

Johann Otto AUHL was born at Klemzig on 6th Jan 1849 but no registration found.  On his death registration in Geelong in 1907 it does have have F Hy Auhl & M Doris Bitter which confirms the genealogy.

It didn't take you long to find out that August Heinrich was registed as OUHL plus the two marriages it took me ages, well done.   At one stage in 1897 August managed the Border Gate Hotel at Cockburn on the SA NSW border.

I'm fairly well absorbed with family tree stuff at the moment and I discover new things every day,  this site has been a goldmine.

Thanks

Gerry

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 00:57 BST (UK) »
Gerry, I have sent a PM so we can have direct contact.

Essie

Offline chirofalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Out of interest I have a death certificate from 1887, issued in Silverton, regarding the death of my gt gt Aunt at Burta Station Sth Australia (near Cockburn) with August Auhl as a witness to the burial.

Cheers Richard

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the information about August Auhl he was my GG Fathers brother and the only Auhl sibling to stay in South Australia with the others plus parents moving overland to Wodonga/Albury around 1875.  The parents had arrived in 1848.

I do know that August spent a number of years at Cockburn but it's now great to know he was there in 1887.

Does the Certificate state August's occupation and what was the date of the burial, I assume it was at Cockburn.

Once again thanks for taking the time to post the information.

Regards
Gerry

Offline chirofalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 November 12 06:22 GMT (UK) »
No problems Gerry,

Unfortunately it only lists his name as a witness to the burial with J S Armstrong ( I think it is James Sutherland Armstrong ) whom I think owned the station at the time. (the death was on 6th Feb of 1887) I note that August was once the licensee of the Barrier Hotel down the road. I can email you the certificate if you like. I cant see how I can do it here my email is (*).

Cheers, glad I could help

Richard

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 November 12 06:08 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Richard,

I probably don't  need the certificate thanks, the information is very help as I don't have a lot on August Auhl, I was aware that at one stage he was a publican at the Border Gate Hotel at Cockburn but I didn't know abut the Barrier Hotel, have you any more information on that?

August married twice and died at Cockburn in 1914.  When his father was accidently killed in 1888 at Wodonga in Victoria his Probate documents in October 1888 have August residing at "Bertha Station" in NSW but now I know it was Burta Station. 

Regards
Gerry

Offline chirofalls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 November 12 10:29 GMT (UK) »
My appologies re the barrier hotel, it was the Border Gate.

It makes me wonder if she was buried on Burta station some distance south of cockburn or in the cockburn cemetery in town where it might have been possible for August Auhl to be witness given his hotel was down the road at the Border Gate.

Regards Richard

Offline ross3064

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry

My Name is Ross Wilson, Heinrich Christian Friedrich AUL is my second great Grandfather, his son  Johann Otto AUHL my Great grand father his daughter Alme L Auhl my Grandmother and my father Rupert Ross Auhl my father. The story of the family is quite complicated Johann was born in Klemzig, South Australia and at some stage he and his wife Anna Juliane Pauline LANGE moved to
Bowna NSW which is not a long way from Albury. Alme was born in Bowna and her birth registered in Albury at some stage Alme met Alexander Wilson and consequently fell pregnant, the baby was born in Carlton, a suburb of Melbourne when the baby (my Father) was born Alme died and so Left him with his grandparents as at this time Alex had gone to ww1.

At this point I will stop and you can tell me if you want to hear the continuing saga.

Ross

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross,

Nice to hear from you and great to see that you are a descendant of Heinrich Aul/Auhl and Dorothea Bitter.  Johann otto was the first born after their arrival in SA and my GGF, Henry Auhl was second born and while I should concentrate on Henry's branch I have extended a bit out to include his siblings' genealogy so I'm interested in and sort of early Auhl family history.

I have some information on the life in South Australia then at Wodionga so I might be able to fill some gaps if you like.

Please PM me your email address

Regards
Gerry