Author Topic: Bourke, Garden Row, Kilkenny  (Read 12370 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bourke, Garden Row, Kilkenny
« on: Tuesday 29 June 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
JOHN BURKE Poyntz Lane b. March 7th 1859 d. July 20th 1901 Brazier/Tin Smith/Copper Smith
married on May 19th 1879 in St. Mary's, Kilkenny
JANE KEEFE Guard Lane

John was the son of John Burke who married Elizabeth Doolan (aka Dowling and Dualaing) on October 24th 1851

Jane was the daughter of James Keefe and Judith Grogan for whom I can find no records, however, James is described as a soldier and I have found some records that may be him)

The BURKE family are shown on the 1901 and 1911 Census - John as the head writes his name as Bourke and then signs it Burke - both spellings keep cropping up as well as Burk.

In 1901 the whole family are living at 15 Garden Row, Kilkenny, with John and Jane are:
1. Elizabeth b. 03.Mar.1880 (1901 21/1911 not shown) NO DEATH RECORD BETWEEN 1901 & 1911
2. Julia b. 18.Apr.1883 d. 27.Apr.1901
3. Thomas b. 14.Aug.1885 m. Johanna McSweeney 20.Sep.1915
4. Catherine/Kathleen b. 29.Apr.1888 m. Philip Kearney 22.Apr.1923 d. 14.Jan.1960
5. Mary Jane b. 01.Oct.1890 (1901 11/1911 not shown) NO DEATH RECORD BETWEEN 1901 & 1911
6. John b. 25.Feb.1893 (1901 8/1911 17)
7. Joseph b. 17.May.1895 m. Margaret Leahy 01.Feb.1828
8. Frances b. 02.Oct.1899 d. 05.May.1903
    on the civil birth record Frances is female on the baptismal record Francis is male???

By 1911 Jane describes herself as having had eight children of whom four were still alive. Four are listed with her: Thomas; Mary Kate (presumably Kathleen); John and Joseph

If anyone can help find Elizabeth and Mary Jane or shed any further light on this family I'd appreciate it

(Kathleen Kearney's death notice in Jan 1960 stated she was regretted by her brothers and sisters which has thrown me a little unless they meant sisters-in-law)
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bourke, Garden Row, Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 12:28 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane and Elizabeth are both old enough to be married or working away from home by 1911. Have you searched for possible deaths/marriages in civil index and entries in 1911 census?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
yes I have based on Elizabeth, Lizzie etc. and for Mary variations including, and/or Jane
As Jane Burke senior in 1911 claims that she had 4 living children of her 8 children born alive, I presumed the others had died and looked for deaths between 1901 and 1911.
However as Mrs. Kearney's death notice mentioned sisters I thought that maybe she had just put four as there were four living with her and that the others were elsewhere.
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 September 10 21:16 BST (UK) »
I have more information on Kathleen Bourke-Kearney.
I now know that between 1918 and 1921 she lived in Belfast and Manchester before returning to Dublin.
I have no idea how she came to be there or if others in her family emigrated rather than staying in Kilkenny.
Any information still gratefully received
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 January 11 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Further update
I have been given a photo of four people that has written on the back Aunt May with Clemy's wife and children
The inscription is in  Kathleen Bourke-Kearney's son's handwriting and dates from the 1950s I would say.
I now feel that May is possibly Mary Jane as there is no other Aunt/Aunt-in-law that was a May or Mary.
Just hoping that the names ring a bell especially CLEMY as this I have not come across before, presumably Clement.
Thanks all
Further generations:

Offline tonygahan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 14:47 BST (UK) »
 Hi My name is Tony Gahan, my grandfather Joseph Bourke(Burke) was reared in Garden Row. this is some more information regarding my grandmother and grandfather.
In 1928  Margeret (Leahy) and Joseph Bourke moved to Dublin with their first born Mary. After that there is no trace of Mary anywhere. She might have died, although we can not locate a death cert. The follwing year my mother (also named Mary on her birth cert but called Maureen) was born (21/12/1929).  Through out her life my mother had no knowlage of an older sister. My grandmother (Margret Bourke Nee Leahy) on her death bed she told my mother that she had an older sister but the family put this down to ramblngs. This fact was positivly confirmed when my mother applied for a birth cert, she received the birth cert of her older sister also called Mary the date of birth was 30/4/1928. I have since followed this up and found the baptism cert for Mary Bourke of 8 Garden Row, Kilkenny. She was baptised in St Marys Parish,Kilkenny on 5/5/1928 her sponsors were Daniel Flood and Mary Costello. I am trying to find out what happened to Mary, but any informatin about the family would be great.
kindest regards
Tony Gahan

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
Tony
Most of what I know is listed here but when back at home I'll see if I can find more.
Kathleen Bourke, your grandfather's sister, was my husband's grandmother.
I started with no information at all except Kathleen's name and that she was from Kilkenny!

I'll PM my email and contact again later
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
quick look on line and there is a death for
Mary BOURKE Oct-Dec 1928 age 0 in Dublin South that may be her V2 P394
I may be able to pick up a cert tomorrow and check it
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 11 13:02 BST (UK) »
Tony
I have sent a PM but getting a message  have reached a limit
Can you confirm here that you received the email or not?
Thx
myluck!
Further generations: