Author Topic: cullen family armagh  (Read 8391 times)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
cullen family armagh
« on: Wednesday 30 June 10 04:37 BST (UK) »
i have a family of cullens.....francis born 1809 and his son william cullen 1835 - 1911 and his wife anne jane frazer born 1832-1906.
william and anne's children;
mary jane cullen 1857-1908 married robert kirkland
ellen cullen abt 1859 married joe fleck
margaret cullen abt 1861 married agustus dale
david cullen 1866-1929 married margaret jefferies [ or jeffers ]
william cullen abt 1867.......
now i know i have the right family, problem is.....i am looking for joseph cullen and his wife margaret laurison...they were married in abt 1901 in the rich hill area of armagh......they are connected closely to the above family, but i cant seem to track them down.........now all of the above poeple were born in the armagh area, ballynahinch, ahorey , mullabrack and rich hill areas......i know by the 1920's joseph and margaret were living in the whifflet, coatbridge area of scotland as their daughter nellie gave bith to my mother there.......they were still living there around world war 2 as well........if this sounds familiar to anyone, i would love any help that can be offered in my searching....thank you...reguards heather

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: cullen family armagh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 09:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. To start with I've moved your post to the ARMAGH board.
You have lots of details to start with so it should be fairly straight-forward to get more information.

Joseph Cullen married Margaret Laurison- their marriage certificate should list Joseph's residence at time of marriage as well as father's name and occupation. Civil registration index (online) shows Maggie Laurison MARRIAGE July/Sept.1901 Banbridge registration district volume 1 page 219 with a Joseph Cullen on the same page.

The 1901 census was taken 31 Mar.1901 so they might both be listed there-
There's a Maggie Laurison age 20 in this household-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Mullahead/Laurelvale__Village_/1020862/

See Introduction to Irish records-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,442233.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for reply.....i was very excited as now i have more to go on with........kind reguards heather ;D

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   On 16 Jul 1901 Joseph Cullen married Margaret Laurison in Mullavilly Church of Ireland, Armagh.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 July 10 03:03 BST (UK) »
thank you so much for your reply, now onto the task of finding  this couples parents,, especiallly joseph's,so i can put the family together in the tree !!!
kind reguards from heather :D

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 July 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
John Laurinson married Sarah Jane Gibson at Mullavilly Church of Ireland, in the parish of Kilmore,Armagh, on 3rd July 1875.

OTTO

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 July 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
this is so wonderful...thank you for your reply...all of this info is helping me so much.....its so very exciting discovering your family, i didnt know that there was so many kind people out there willing to lend a hand......i am very grateful...if anyone can help with finding joseph's parents for me .......i will be estatic !!!!!!!!! thank you... thankyou......kind reguards heather

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 July 10 09:05 BST (UK) »
The actual marriage certificate should list his father's name and occupation (mothers are not listed). See here for ordering N.I. certificates:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,383526.0.html

Joseph Cullen married Margaret Laurison- their marriage certificate should list Joseph's residence at time of marriage as well as father's name and occupation. Civil registration index (online) shows Maggie Laurison MARRIAGE July/Sept.1901 Banbridge registration district volume 1 page 219 with a Joseph Cullen on the same page.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 July 10 10:07 BST (UK) »
this is so wonderful...thank you for your reply...all of this info is helping me so much.....its so very exciting discovering your family, i didnt know that there was so many kind people out there willing to lend a hand......i am very grateful...if anyone can help with finding joseph's parents for me .......i will be estatic !!!!!!!!! thank you... thankyou......kind reguards heather

The only way to be certain of fathers names is to order copy of marriage certificate as aghadowey says at http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

I find that ordering a photocopy of the actual certificate is best, so that you can decipher the details if necessary.

From the fathers name and address given, ( and possibly age at marriage) hopefully you can get the birth details.

I have the details of two Joseph Cullen births that may fit.
1st July 1869 to Owen and Margaret Quin at Blackwatertown Armagh.
22nd Oct 1870 to Edward Cullen and Elizabeth Rafferty, Loughgall Armagh.

Good luck
OTTO