Author Topic: McLoughlins in Sligo  (Read 21250 times)

Offline louliz17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLoughlins in Sligo
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 February 13 20:21 GMT (UK) »
I haven't spoken to any of them no reason been I don't know where they live.
My granddad John Thomas McLoughlin and my nan Gladys Golden have both passed on so I can't get any info from them sadly.
You say Charles is your mums uncle who's you mum?
McLoughlin,Golden, Ashbridge, Major, Hall, Donnison - Hull England

Offline brough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 22 February 14 10:30 GMT (UK) »
re the baptisms, you may be the same person I just relied to, I have got the baptism records and can check again as I know the priest.

Offline brough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 February 14 11:57 GMT (UK) »
  `
I'm looking for any info on my great great grandparents.
Their names were Patrick McLoughlin ,1823-1877 and Maria  ? Ferguson/ ? Gaghan, 1830-1901. Both were born in Sligo and I believe they came over to England during the famine. They settled in Hull and had 10 children, Mary, Margaret , Jane, Patrick, Thomas, William, Charles, John, Julia and Catherine.
I know what happened to them from 1871 onwards, but can anyone tell me how I can get any info on their life in Ireland and their wedding and baptisms. ?
Any info or suggestions would be a great help.
Thanks

I sent a message yesterday22nd Feb but you may not be checking each day.Maybe stumped. I have seen all the birth records and Patrick was married to Ferguson BUT another Patrick was married to Gaughan. As usual not all straught forword.The records appear to suggest Patrick  1822 looked after Partick 1819  children.!!!!!I've been thinking of writing up all the births so people can check. The first cert I obtained was Julia (to ferguson)  not Gaughan. But Thomas is listed to Gaughan. If there was 2 Thomas's dont know where the other was, as History Centre only have one born Leeds way.If you want to come with me I could probably arrange it.

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 September 16 00:23 BST (UK) »
Your Post will attract many McLoughlins....I can only add this if it solves a mystery for you or others.
Patrick McLoughlin....Stone mason & Gold Miner Born 18/5/1822 Carricknahorna, East Aghanagh Sligo--IRELAND
DIED 19/2/1879 --Kangaroo flats- Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. He was the son of Michael McLoughlin & Janitha Forrest... both of Aghanagh Co. Sligo.
Patrick Immigrated to Victoria between 1845 & 1850...one assumes to escape the Potato famine in Ireland & then later to join the Gold Rush. Kangaroo Flats or Kangaroo Gully was on the Bendigo Creek...in 1850 the miners dwellings we all tents.
Patrick married 4/9/1851 Mary Anne McCann, Catholic b. 1832 Enniskillen-
Fermanagh- Ireland....a Famine Orphan.
Patrick McLoughlin & Mary Anne McCann were married in St Francis Catholic Church Melbourne. They had 9 children..

Offline brough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 October 16 20:05 BST (UK) »
Today went to church to check out births again. Priest leaving Sunday and spoke to him. 5 Children baptised as Ferguson and 6 as Gaghan . However on the Register of births ALL are siting mother as Ferguson. The only Gaghan I can find so far born 1825 married 1847 and has same name husband Patrick and same father in law namew as Michael. 2 many  lok a likes. I am trying to get to Latter day saints again as they are very good.  ONLY ONE THOMAS.But 2 families trying to claim him. looking for any info on my great great grandparents.
Their names were Patrick McLoughlin ,1823-1877 and Maria  ? Ferguson/ ? Gaghan, 1830-1901. Both were born in Sligo and I believe they came over to England during the famine. They settled in Hull and had 10 children, Mary, Margaret , Jane, Patrick, Thomas, William, Charles, John, Julia and Catherine.
I know what happened to them from 1871 onwards, but can anyone tell me how I can get any info on their life in Ireland and their wedding and baptisms. ?
Any info or suggestions would be a great help.
Thanks

I sent a message yesterday22nd Feb but you may not be checking each day.Maybe stumped. I have seen all the birth records and Patrick was married to Ferguson BUT another Patrick was married to Gaughan. As usual not all straught forword.The records appear to suggest Patrick  1822 looked after Partick 1819  children.!!!!!I've been thinking of writing up all the births so people can check. The first cert I obtained was Julia (to ferguson)  not Gaughan. But Thomas is listed to Gaughan. If there was 2 Thomas's dont know where the other was, as History Centre only have one born Leeds way.If you want to come with me I could probably arrange it.
[/quote]

Offline Ronreddam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 27 February 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have a Sarah Mcloughlin, daughter of James mcloughlin who married a guliemus (Latin for William) reddem( misspelled as Reddam on April 12, 1866 at Carly, Sligo. No other info known.  Following Reddam in Sligo. It is his first marriage, second is 1882. Reasons unknown. Looking for background on these Mcloughlins. Anybody have anything on them in Sligo?  At brick wall on them. 

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 27 February 17 20:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline Ronreddam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
Any guess what the irish scribble reads.  Parent names? Dates? Do you have any thing n James mcloughlin?

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
sorry not our McLoughlin.Ours left Sligo around 1850/60

Posted on behalf of brough who had clicked on the "report to moderator button" instead of the blue reply button ;)

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk