Author Topic: surname malin  (Read 4438 times)

Offline TWINGO

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
surname malin
« on: Wednesday 30 March 05 09:44 BST (UK) »
HI! I am a young woman from Finland and my surname is Malin. I would like to know the origins of this name. I have found out that there are Malins in other countries, too: in England, Ireland, Sweden, Germany, France... How to find the origins of my own name? Or are the Malins of Europe all related to one ancestor and where did he come from? Are there any other Malins in this chat??? My grandfather is dead but he did not know the origins of the name. I always thought the name was not Finnish but what is it then and how did it arrive in this northern land of mine??? ???

Offline ehinken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: surname malin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
My maiden name is Malin and i have traced Malins back to Orsett and surrounding areas of Essex in England. I am interested to hear how Malin came to be in Finland.  Are you aware if you have English roots.
Eileen

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
I have many Malins marrying into my tree - they are all from Mid-Warwickshire and maps at Ancestry tend to confirm this is the commonest area. It's the sort of name that might occur in different places with different origins - ie short, pronounceable - no uncommon letters (I recall that Finnish has quite a restricted alphabet - banks called Pankki because there was historically no B - nor C D F G?)

Ancestry gives a possible English origin, then another Dutch and German, another Jewish, and another Serbian or Ukrainian, so anything is possible.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=malin
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
Just amazed that it took anyone 12 years to answer this query .....  ???
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
funny I didn't notice that!
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
My son in laws surame is Malins. I'd never heard it before my daughter met him.
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline ehinken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 October 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
How funny, I hadn't realised it was an old post.  I did try and find the date but could only see March so assumed it was from this year.
Interesting that the Malin name is further afield, I had assumed UK and USA.  Before delving into family history I assumed the name was from Ireland as there are a number of 'Malin' landmarks so was surprised to find the name 'Malin' in Essex back to 1500s.
I would be interesting if you have had your DNA tested to see if you match any Malins elsewhere or if it shows you as having a proportion of British DNA.  Although myself and parents were born in England, I have predominantly Irish DNA with British and Iberian Peninsula.  I did find that various grandparents, ggrandparents came from Ireland so initial shock was supported by research.
I searched for 'Malins' on RootsChat and was suprised to find a post of mine from 2006. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=172740.msg821245#msg821245
I couldn't remember registering before so now have two accounts.... ah well after 11 years I can be forgiven for forgetting.

Offline Katie Malin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 May 20 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi! So I am a Malin, it comes from my dad's side of the family. I have quite a family tree growing on ancestry of the Malin name. We are based in the East Midlands of the UK and some of my family are from the Warwickshire areas.
There are family members that also list their lives in the wars.

Before my Grandma died (although I was very young) I do have a memory or her saying we had some Irish roots. My dad tells me he has cousins (who no longer have the Malin name) that live in Scotland.

Please feel free to get in touch!

Offline Carol Malin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 November 23 00:17 GMT (UK) »
My surname is Malin and I am from Oxfordshire, my Grandparents were also born in Oxfordshire. The Celtic meaning is Warrior, in France it means crafty, clever and I have been told it means foxy, devil in Belgian.