Author Topic: Shortall - Sir Patrick  (Read 29516 times)

Offline Bernied

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew and Sir Patrick Shortall
« Reply #72 on: Monday 29 August 11 13:20 BST (UK) »
This may be of interest.  I discovered this info as part of my research into Matthew Shortall.

Bernie

SHORTALL, JOHN FRANCIS  Brother of Sir Patrick  and Matthew Born: 1889 Died: 1946

Biography

Architect, of Dublin. John Francis Shortall was born in Dublin in 1889 and was educated at St Mary's College, Rathmines. He became an apprentice in the building firm of his brother, Sir Patrick Shortall, in York Street and then went first to England to work on the Ordnance Survey and then to West Africa as a surveyor of roads in the Public Works Department. In 1914 he joined the Royal Engineers and served in Salonika and West Africa. From 1918 until 1920 he was on the engineering staff of the Royal Air Force in the Middle East. His years abroad permanently damaged his health.

Shortall returned to Dublin in 1920 when he won first place in the competitive examination for the post of assistant architect in the Office of Works. He was promoted to the rank of architect in 1935. He died suddenly on 23 April 1946, leaving a widow, son and daughter. His obituarist in the RIAI Year Book, MARTIN JOSEPH BURKE   recalled him as a man of 'exceptionally pronounced individuality'; although he was reserved in manner, intolerant of humbug, and a stern disciplinarian, 'his more intimate friends knew that he frequently suffered much from a malady resulting from his service abroad and understood the extent to which his outlook on life was affected at such times. To such friends and when in better health his kindness of heart and sense of humour, his fund of anecdote and gifts as a raconteur, made him a good companion, and by all such he was held in high esteem.'

RIAI: elected member, 10 December 1937, having been proposed by HARRY ALLBERRY   and seconded by GEORGE PATRICK SHERIDAN   and Martin Joseph Burke.(1)
RIBA: elected associate, 6 December 1937.(2)
Surveyors' Association: professional associate, 1913; fellow.

Address: Home: 3 Eaton Place, Monkstown, 1937.   

References
All information in this entry is from the obituary of Shortall by M[artin] J[oseph] B[urke] in RIAI Year Book (1946), 38-39, and from Jones's transcript from RIAI minutes concerning Shortall's election to RIAI, 1937.

Offline Bernied

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shortall - Sir Patrick
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 18 August 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to let you know we found James Shortall's (Matthew & Patrick's father) death notice in the paper for July 20th 1893 in Pearse Street Library reading room on microfiche.  He is buried in Glasnevin in what is known as  " an unpurchased grave". There are three other unrelated people buried with James in the grave.  His death notice states "late of Kilkenny". Unfortunately we have not yet traced the Kilkenny roots.

Regards
Bernie

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 29 August 13 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to let you know we found James Shortall's (Matthew & Patrick's father) death notice in the paper for July 20th 1893 in Pearse Street Library reading room on microfiche.  He is buried in Glasnevin in what is known as  " an unpurchased grave". There are three other unrelated people buried with James in the grave.  His death notice states "late of Kilkenny". Unfortunately we have not yet traced the Kilkenny roots.

OK, didn't think anyone was still looking, great work. I think tracing any connections back to Kilkenny will be very difficult as there seems to be very little info as to where exactly in Kilkenny the Shortalls came from, and there are lots of Patrick and James Shortalls there.
Keep up the good work
all the best
Frank

Regards
Bernie

Offline Shortie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 13 September 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm not sure if this is still active or if anyone is still on here.

I just came across this thread whilst searching for information on my great grandfather Sir Patrick Shortall.

My father, Niall Shortall, was the son of Francis (Frank) who was his grandfather.

My father passed away 10 years ago but My father has 3 siblings all alive and living in Ireland/England. I also know one of my fathers cousins who lives in Dublin (I'll have to figure out whose son he was of Patricks children).

Interestingly my fatther had and subseqently I inherited the ceremonial suit that Patrick wore when he was High Sherriff of Dublin to official ceremonies. It's a black velvet suit with tails, gorgeous ornate buttons and pantaloons. And an ornate pirate type hat. He was a small stout man as the suit fits my children! There was a ceremonial sword but that has been lost and I cannot locate where it went now. Probably in someone's attic. 

So I suppose we are all related in some way.

I live in Dublin, not too far from Glasnevin where they are buried.

Would love to get in touch and learn more about our family history.

All the best
Tara Shortall

Offline Shortie70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 13 September 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify, my fathers father was Frank and he was the son of Patrick. He lived in Shankill in Dublin, was married and subsequently divorced from Catherine (Kitty) who I knew as a child. I never met Frank as he had passed away before I was born. Frank was a quantity surveyor as was my father Niall.

Offline DubbLinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 13 September 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Nice to hear from a cousin I never knew I had. Sir Patrick was my Grand Uncle, he was brother to my Granddad Matthew Shortall.
 My name is also Francis (Frank) Shortall.
 One thing I have not been able to find out is where all Sir Patricks other brothers and sister (he had one sister Teresa) ended up, so nice to have another contact to that side of the family.
 You say you are living in Glasnevin, Dublin, that's not too far from where I live, just off the Navan Road, Ashtown at the Phoenix Park.
Hope to hear more about your side of the family.
 all the best,
 Frank

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 13 September 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
Confirmation of arms to the descendants of John Shortall, of City of Dublin and to his son, John George Shortall of Chicago, U.S.A., with mention of traditional descent from Sir Oliver Shortall who died on March 4, 1635 at Ballelurcan, Co. Kilkenny.

Dublin: National Library of Ireland, Genealogical Office: Ms. 109, pp. 341-2

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 13 September 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I found this thread while researching my ancestors. I am a grandson of Matthew Shortall, as mentioned above, Matthew was a brother of Sir Patrick Shortall.
I remember being told by my Aunty Cella (Marcella Shortall) that he was a "Grand Uncle" but that is as much information that was forthcoming.
I am also interested in tracing the birthplace of my great grandad "James Shortall" I believe this to be in Kilkenny but am not sure about that.
Any information or update would be very helpfull,
Thanks in advance.

Deceased Surname Shortall
Deceased Forename James
Primary Beneficiary/Executor Patrick Shortall, Gurteen, Co Kilkenny
Date of Death  30 Nov 1893
County of Death   Emmettsburgh Palialto Iowa United States Of America

??