Author Topic: Wexford Research  (Read 9789 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Wexford Research
« on: Friday 02 July 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have just picked up my fh research after a break due to surgery and my daughter having a very prem baby!  I found while I was away the 1901 Irish census had become available on line!  WOW!  such good news and I missed it.
I think I have found my grandfather in the 1901 but would like some help (I've just been reading the excellent topics on Irish research in Wexford, and have searched the BMD's at the LDS pilot ) but I need clarification please.
I'm looking for :
Patrick Kehoe, found in 1911 census in Wales, he  married in 1907 in Glamorgan age given as 22yrs, father Tom Kehoe a Shoemaker, deceased.
1911 census :  Patrick Kehoe; Head; 26 circa 1885; Married; Timberman in Coal Mine; Below ground; Workman; born New Ross Co.Wexford Ireland; Irish; Language - English;

In 1911 there are two other Kehoe male's Thomas and Edward in the Glamorgan census, following that info I found they both married so sent for the marriage certs and their father is the same as my Patrick's.

In 1901 I have found a Patrick Kehoe of the right age living with a Margaret Kehoe, in Irishtown New Ross, Wexford.
How can I obtain the right birth certificates for Patrick, Edward and Thomas Kehoe?.
I haven't used the GRO for Ireland before, do I request a search or do I write to the Parish Church or local library?
Pauline.

added:
in 1911 Margaret Kehoe (possible mother of my Patrick) is in the census with her grandchildren the possible children of Edward-
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Wexford Research
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 July 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
1911 census :  Patrick Kehoe; Head; 26 circa [born] 1885; Married; Timberman in Coal Mine; Below ground; Workman; born New Ross Co.Wexford Ireland; Irish; Language - English;
In 1901 I have found a Patrick Kehoe of the right age living with a Margaret Kehoe, in Irishtown New Ross, Wexford.
How can I obtain the right birth certificates for Patrick, Edward and Thomas Kehoe?.
I haven't used the GRO for Ireland before, do I request a search or do I write to the Parish Church or local library?

To find possible births

1. search the Irish Civil BMD Index for possible matches, and note the reference numbers

2. Order cert(s) from the GRO (see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon )

BMDs in the area of New Ross should be recorded in the index under the registration district of the same name.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 July 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane
I had tried the site but it has some peculiarities!
using Patrick Kehoe, DOB 1885, Location New Ross finds nothing!
Using just Kehoe, New Ross finds quite a few, because I don't have a date of birth for him I expect that I would have to order all the certs? or will the GRO search for a Patrick Kehoe, father Tom, Shoemaker?
thanks
Pauline

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 July 10 10:46 BST (UK) »
especially with a surname like Kehoe you will have to allow for variations in spelling - e.g. Keogh

also - I would allow a few years either way for year of birth. Ages on the census are not always 100% accurate

The search on the BMD index does not work by district at the moment - the best way to narrow down the area is to do the search initially without a location. And then filter down by the county (top left of the screen), and look through the results for ones in New Ross district.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 July 10 11:01 BST (UK) »
In 1911 there are two other Kehoe male's Thomas and Edward in the Glamorgan census, following that info I found they both married so sent for the marriage certs and their father is the same as my Patrick's.

are Thomas and Edward in Wales on the 1901 census ?

Shane
My Surname Interests

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 July 10 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

I notice that in 1901, there is a Nicholas Kehoe b c 1885 with your family and in 1911 there is a Nicholas Kehoe b c 1887 in Pontypridd. I have tried searching Wexford and Ireland as his birthplace but they don't come up so I don't know where he was born.
I would imagine though that you have searched all the Kehoes in 1911 census in and around Glamorgan.

heywood

PS There is a Thomas who is a seaman in 1901
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 July 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane and Heywood,
Thank you for the help, much appreciate it  :)

Shane : I'll try searching using the parameters you suggest but I fear that I may end up with too many,if I list the info I find from say 1884 - 1886 Patrick Kehoe, with the refs, will the GRO search to find any of those Patrick Kehoe/Keogh with father Thomas or Tom,  Occupation Shoemaker/Bootmaker?

I don't have a sub any more to Anc* but according to my records I haven't recorded Thomas and Edward in Wales in 1901, although I do remember seeing the Thomas Heywood found. Unfortunately I didn't write it down!

I have found Edward I think  in 1901, in New Ross, with wife Mary, and Children, Thomas, Edward, Michael, Margaret and Patrick Joseph,of right ages.  In the 1911, Margaret Kehoe (possible mother of Patrick) is listed with grandchildren Thomas, Michael and Joseph.  As Edward in 1911 is in Wales and listed as a widower, this seems to be a match to me?

Heywood : Many thanks for that I will have a look for Nicholas in the 1911, I do have a sub to that census at FindMyPast.

off to look now,
Pauline.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 July 10 14:53 BST (UK) »

Shane : I'll try searching using the parameters you suggest but I fear that I may end up with too many,if I list the info I find from say 1884 - 1886 Patrick Kehoe, with the refs, will the GRO search to find any of those Patrick Kehoe/Keogh with father Thomas of Tom,  Occupation Shoemaker/Bootmaker?

I dont know what kind of additional searches they will do for the search fee.. might be worth ringing the Roscommon office to see. (I have seen someone mention that they will do a check against the fathers name..). I get my certs in the GRO research room - where you just give the reference numbers and order the certs based on those. I've quite a collection or 'wrong' certs.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 July 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,
Mmm, I think having looked at the GRO site it may be cost effective to visit!
Added : but it may be cheaper to do the search as I'm in Berkshire   ;D

I've quite a collection or 'wrong' certs.

Yes I have a collection too!  ;D

Heywood:  Just checked 1911 census and found Nicholas, he is listed as born Pontypridd, but the image clearly says underneath Pontypridd   :   New Ross Co. Wexford!  his occupation is the same as Patrick's Timberman Colliery! 

Pauline