Author Topic: Cottage Homes boys ophanage in Ponteland Northumberland  (Read 15953 times)

Offline *sparkle *

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cottage Homes boys ophanage in Ponteland Northumberland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maddfridge for your help. 

I was trying to find out who had made the decision to put them into the Cottage Homes.  It sounds complicated and expensive though.

Thanks to you also jmichaeltaylor for your help

Much appreciated

Offline Pontgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Norma - my father worked at Northumberland College of Higher Education that was formerly the cottage homes and did some research into it. I think his notes and research are housed with the Northumberland Archives. I will ask him and get back on line once i have found out

Offline vixta84

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 20:48 BST (UK) »
my grandma also lived in ponteland cottage homes from 1938-1951 i was wondering if you got anywhere wit your search for records? she was pu in there at the age of 3 and doesnt know reasons why. she said they had a file on her with details about where she lived prior to cottage homes and family. I am tring to do her family tree and this information would b invaluable.  have contacted thenational archives which have files on thos who attended pnteland cottage homes primary school and am awaiting reply. did ayone else get any results. my grandmothers name is Elizabeth paris what are the names of your relatives that lived there? I shall ask her if she remembers them.

Offline Pontgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hello all - sorry for the delay. I have spoken to my father and he says all of his research and recordings of 11 of the old residents (still alive in the 1980s when he did the research) are housed in the Tyne and Wear Archives. He says that the recordings were going to be transcribed but is not sure whether this has been done or not.

Hope that is of help

Offline alieninthelakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi . . .. I would appreciate any help that can be given. I am trying to trace any information regarding my Nana.  She was at cottage homes with her brother and possibly her sister between 1917 and 1925 approx. Her name was Rebecca Pearson/Akenhead and was aged 6 years old when first attended and left at the age of 14.  Her brother William (Bill) a few years older also attended the ophanage.  Her sister Lilian the eldest we are unsure about her attending the ophanage.  Their parents were William and Maria Akenhead.

Many Thanks

Offline feversham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 August 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
i,m trying to find out if anyone knew my mother,she was at the home in ponteland from approx 1935-1945,her name was margaret hetherington,or brennan.

Offline whitedragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi . . .. I would appreciate any help that can be given. I am trying to trace any information regarding my Nana.  She was at cottage homes with her brother and possibly her sister between 1917 and 1925 approx. Her name was Rebecca Pearson/Akenhead and was aged 6 years old when first attended and left at the age of 14.  Her brother William (Bill) a few years older also attended the ophanage.  Her sister Lilian the eldest we are unsure about her attending the ophanage.  Their parents were William and Maria Akenhead.

Many Thanks

Offline whitedragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 14:57 BST (UK) »
My great uncle, Francis Harris & wife Sarah were Superintendent and Matron there in 1911. They had been in Brentwood or Braintree in 1901. He was born in Worcester in 1864 and died back in Worcester.
They may have been at the school at the same time as your relatives.
Did the school produce pupil reports and would they have been signed?
Any information would be appreciated.
This is possibly of particular interst to maddfridge and alieninthelakes.

Offline whitedragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
hi there

my own father was there from 1923 to 1935 and there are some records held not just at the northumberland record office !

the hexham union which my father came under sent some of its children there but some records are also held by the tyne a wear archives

Such as the link

http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Prudhoe_C13.htm

some pages from the school etc.

i looked at this document in 1996 and there is very little refernce to people such as 2 new pupils admitted today etc with no names

national archives link

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=155-ces217&cid=0#0

i have just written to blanford house tyne and wear archives for a search cost of any relevant documents .

pm