Author Topic: Rookwood Cemetery - Grave Ownership  (Read 4656 times)

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rookwood Cemetery - Grave Ownership
« on: Sunday 04 July 10 03:25 BST (UK) »
My husband's great aunt and her husband, are buried in the Catholic section of the Rookwood Cemetery.

They are buried with two other people, a (husband and wife), we have no idea, how or if they are connected to our family.

Sometime ago I contacted the Catholic Cemeteries Trust, asking for information regarding the ownership of this grave.  Unfortunately they said they did not record that information only the burials.

Has anyone had any experience in finding the ownership of graves - if so who do I contact.

There are monuments on this grave - which appears to be a double grave.
My husband's great aunt was the first to be buried, her husband was the second.  They never had any children of their own.

I did try tracing the family of the other two buried in the grave - however they did not respond to my email.

It's remained a mystery for quite sometime, and I would like to solve it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sarra

Offline redmr2red

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    • View Profile
Re: Rockwood Cemetery - Grave Ownership
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 July 10 06:24 BST (UK) »
Is that Rockwood or Rookwood? In which State? There is a Rokewood Cemetery.

Most cemeteries hold the name of a contact person that "owns" the grave, or organised the burial.  I was told that the information, for privacy reasons, could not be given out.

Red
Clarence, England then Australia from 1912.
Copeland, England.
Lascelles / Lovett / Stevens, England.
Langford, England (Reading and Southampton).
Kipp / Rigbye / Randall, Germany then Victoria, Australia from 1849.
Boothman / Clifford / Marsden / Johnston in Australia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rockwood Cemetery - Grave Ownership
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 July 10 06:41 BST (UK) »
Catholic section of the Rookwood Cemetery.
sarra

I think the topic heading has been modified. 

Rookwood Cemetery is in Sydney.

Rookwood Catholic Cemeteries website is down at the moment - but they do have a glossary page which includes an explanation of 'grave ownership'
http://www.catholiccemeteries.org.au/

Am I correct in assuming that these burials were many years ago?

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Rookwood Cemetery - Grave Ownership
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 July 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
My apologies for not checking my post. :o
Thanks Kris for modifying for me.
It is Rookwood in Sydney.

Cando,

I was able to get into the Rookwood Anglican/General Cemetery page earlier.
I did read about Ownership of Graves - however it did not mention where I would be able to find this information.

Thinking about it perhaps if I send an email to the Rookwood Anglican/General Cemeteries Trust, they maybe able to help me.
These burials took place (1st - 1935 - 2nd - 1947 - 3rd - 1949 and the 4th - 1951).
I was able to find the Obituary in the newspaper, for the last person buried, I contacted the Funeral Director, who conducted the funeral, however they never replied to my enquiry.

Seems to be no one wants to know me.

My husband's, great aunt's husband, was living at the same address as the people buried in this grave.  That is the only connection that I can make, and this was sometime after his wife died.

The MI on this grave are two (identical ) free standing ones, I think perhaps there could have been an earlier one which was attached.

Possibly some simple explanation?

Sarra

Offline eadygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 July 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra,

I recently visited the Catholic section of Rookwood and found them most helpful. I was looking for my husband's grandfather's grave and only knew his name and year of death (1954). They gave me a printout of their records which showed the location of the grave and a map to help me find it (which was quite difficult). The record had a space for the funeral director - in this case - unknown.  It had a contact details for the person who had purchased the grave. In this case it was for the dead man's brother, also long dead!

Rookwood is a very old cemetery dating back to the 1800s & so huge that it is a suburb in its own right with its own postcode.  It's a fascinating place!  However, I think many of their less modern records are probably just not up to scratch, or perhaps haven't been transcribed?  I would give them another try via email plus CC to the general cemetery trust - with luck you may get onto a kindly living soul who will help!  There is a "Friends of Rookwood" society who I'm sure will assist. Google it.

Good luck! :D :D

cheers,
Liz

Dann - Hunts, Cambs, Lancs, Australia and NZ
Menzies - Perthshire, Australia and NZ
Hind - Lincs, Yorks, Australia
Manton - Lincs, London, Chile, Mauritius, Australia
Lowther - Wilts, Australia
Noy - Cornwall, Australia
Edwards & Davies - South Wales
Nowlan & McHale - Carlow and c.Mayo Ireland, and Carisbrook Vic,Australia

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 July 10 14:51 BST (UK) »
Sarra, is this the grave that I took a photo of, some time ago?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 01:55 BST (UK) »
eadygirl,

Many thanks for your reply.  I will certainly follow up some of your suggestions.

The person who replied to me...was helpful.  She did some checking of the New South Wales - death and marriage indexes - for the second person buried ( 1947) in this grave.

She found that she had married twice, however she could not find her death in NSW.  This information was not new to me, because I had already found her previous marriage, and that she had died in Queensland.

I'll try another email to the Rookwood Cemetery Trust, also see if the "Friends of Rookwood", can offer any help.

Many thanks....Sarra

Jamjar,
Yes that's the same grave you photographed for me......that was only January this year. I'm still trying to find information on that grave.
Sarra