Author Topic: Lexden photos  (Read 22797 times)

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lexden photos
« on: Wednesday 30 March 05 16:00 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got any new or old photos of Lexden Village, Colchester, Essex in digital form - or know of any websites containing some ?? I'm trying to visualise the changing nature of the village that my family were from! I'm particularly interested in Church Lane (Heath Road end) where my family lived and owned some properties/land (my great-grandfather sold some of his land on Church Lane to 'Tweeds' garage, perhaps the site of the now closed Murco filling station ??); Nelson Road (where the family firm built some houses) and Straight Road (where they had their business premises - 'Beaumonts'). Any information about the Clarke / Turrall-Clarke and Beaumont families around 1800-1920 much appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lexden photos
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 20:45 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately....no photos, but if you can find any, I should be able to identify them for you.

Dare I say it.....this is my old 'stamping' ground.......I lived on Straight Road (the other end of Heath Road), my Grandparents lived not far from Nelson Road, my first wife lived just off Church Lane, and the whole area was my route to the Pub and School (not necessarily in that order).....I even used to fill up my motorcycle at the Murco Garage....I knew the Tweeds, but I don't think they were the same generation that ran the garage!

I can recall a small builders' premises on Straight Road almost opposite the Star PH, but there were several builders in the area.

My Grandparents and probably my parents (just) knew 'Beaumonts' (one was a Hairdresser)

I can probably find one or two photos of the type of houses they built in Nelson Road, but there was a mix of council and private homes there.....I will have only council types.

I may have an OS map of the area if I haven't chucked it out.....if you have one you can PM / email it to me and I will highlight bits for you.

The chances are though, we are the same age and you can remember as much as I can!

Al.

ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 March 05 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply - it was interesting to read about your experiences of the village.    Your offer is appreciated - i'll let you know when I get some photos that I need help with.

It's kind of frustrating, this research, in that I was told much of what I now want to know when I was a kid, 30ish years ago, by my grandfather who was born in Lexden and only moved to Derby two years before I was born.   Unfortunately I was too young to remember stuff and my interest has only been stirred since he died.   Guess he was right when he used to tell me to pay more attention lol

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 March 05 00:35 BST (UK) »
Tony, Just to keep you on sort of the right track when you are researching....

Yes, you are right that the Murco Garage was at the Church Lane end of Heath Road, but Tweeds Garage was about a mile away, on the corner of Straight Road and Lexden Road / London Road. The last I knew it was a supermarket....I'll check the next time I pass.

In fact, it virtually butted up to Nelson Road, also on Lexden Road / London Road.....both Tweeds and Nelson Road were very much nearer to the Star PH and  the probable builders yard, than they were to Heath Road.

I can add at least another ten years local knowledge to yours and I can picture the whole area as I remember when I was a kid......I'll even take a guess that the builders were also funeral directors...there was a tin shed which served as a chapel I think, right next to them.

I can't find my map.....but I may find something else in Whites.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 April 05 11:32 BST (UK) »
Al, thanks for the useful info - you're helping to fill in the (sizeable) gaps!   

A very kind lady from another forum went to the trouble of taking some photos for me and as a result I am 100% certain that the old Murco site is on part of land owned by my g-g-grandfather (I believe at one time his own house was on this site too).   

The only actual fact that I have about Tweeds is that my g-grandfather sold them some of one of his pieces of land.   It was my assumption that this was the same land as the Murco site, but your info shows this to be wrong.   

It does kind of make sense that the family would have land backing up to Nelson Road.   The problem in trying to trace this stuff is that they appear to have had a variety of bits of land all over the place lol   

I've never heard any mention of funeral directors in the family, but I guess it's possible - certainly carpentry is a useful skill in making coffins and Beaumonts had a Carpenters yard on Straight Road around 100 years ago (my g-grandfather's speciality was wood panelling in the houses that they built).      However, my understanding (from childhood conversations with my grandfather) was that the building firm was sold to a national firm (possibly between 1940 - 1950).   Perhaps the yard was then used by another firm who were also funeral directors.   Much of this is pure guesswork.

Again, thanks for your help.

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 05 15:15 BST (UK) »
Tony....If you post the photos I am certain I will be able to tell you if it is the Murco site or Tweeds' site.

I can still picture the Tweeds garage on the corner of Straight Road / London Road....on the opposite corner (in the 50's) was Saberton's butchers shop....Saberton himself lived on Straight Road just up from the shop, virtually right next to the builders yard.

For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the builders, but in the area, were Huttons, Cadmans, Hills and various others.

Just round the corner from Straight Road, on the London Road (towards Colchester) was a hairdresser by the name of (I think) Roy Beaumont.

I have a poor resolution copy of a map of Lexden Heath (before all the housing started) 1800's at a guess ( I won't post it here....copyright) but you can get the same from a Google search....it shows roughly where the yard was and the chapel...also Tweeds site.

I have Whites Directory 1848 and it shows a number of Beaumonts in and around Colchester of varied professions. I will try to copy the relevant pages (by print then scan it seems)....when I have them in a useful form, I'll let you know.....either that or I will note the names etc in a new post.

Al.

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 April 05 23:27 BST (UK) »
Al, your local knowledge is really helpful.   With regards to the photos, thanks for the offer - but the lady who took them has confirmed that they are of the Murco site.  This is confirmed by the fact that site is next to Ark Veterinary Centre who recently submitted plans for apartments and car parkings for their surgery on this land (the site was described as "The force Murco site" in the planning app).   

My Mum is 100% certain that my g-grandfather sold some land to Tweeds for a garage (she remembers the garage being on the land, but is a little hazy as to exactly which plot of their land it was on - it was, of course, a long time ago).    Thanks to your help I  now know it wasn't the plot on Church Lane/Heath Road corner (presumably that is more recent - i.e. long after the Clarke branch of the family sold the last of their land).     

I've already got a copy of the crappy old map too, but some of the detailing is a bit difficult to make out.   I'm now trying to figure out where the plot that you mention as being Tweeds is on the current A-Z map that I have.    I am assuming that it is between London Road and The Chase, perhaps near to where there is a church/chapel indicated ?   Am I getting this right ??

I've not seen Whites 1848, but I have viewed the Kellys and PO Directories for 1874, 1882, 1894,  1902 and 1914 (they are available free online at historicaldirectories DOT org.   I have managed to extract some information from these, but most is unspecific.   Coupled with Census information I know where some of my ancestors resided, but obviously this doesn't give the full picture of land that they owned but didn't live on.   I have identified No. 13 Church Lane as being one Clarke family member's residence, which I assume is on the site occupied by the old Murco garage (I can find no reference to a No. 13 on either the electoral roll or directory enquiries, so I presume this house was knocked down).   There were also several others on Church Lane, but neither the census or directories give house numbers.   For the Beaumont side (the business of "Beaumonts" was a partnership between various Clarkes - joiners & carpenters -  and Beaumonts - builders & bricklayers), I have established the street, but again not the number.   I also have No 22 London Road and 72 Lexden Street as Beaumont residences at various times.    After 1914 though I have no confirmed house numbers - just the street names and reference to Tweeds garage.

If the hairdresser was born in Lexden then I would say it is fair to assume that he was a relative - my grandfather said once that all the Clarkes and all the Beaumonts in the village were related (as with many old villages, there appears to have been much intermarriage over the centuries).   My grandfather did mention once a cousin of his called Roy Beaumont, but he was a director of Lloyds Bank (ending up as Chairman or Managing Director if I recall correctly - but I'm not sure when this was).   I have noticed from the information that I have built up that my family had a "habit" of giving children the same first name as others within the family (e.g. there are a number of Roberts and several Alfreds) - so the chances of there being two called Roy seem quite high (perhaps the hairdresser was the son, or cousin of the banker).

I wish I had got interested in this family tree stuff when my grandfather was still alive - he had something of a photographic memory.   Still, it's more fun trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together the hard way lol    Your help in this is very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 05 11:05 BST (UK) »
Tony....If you can identify Straight Road on a map.....go to the North end of it, unfortunately it is well over a mile in length (the Leather Bottle PH is at the South end).

The North end is basically a 'T' junction, the South is a staggered crossroads.

The Tweeds garage was right on the corner of Straight Road and London Road (which was an extension of Lexden Road / Lexden Street).....in other words it was between the vertical of the 'T' and left hand leg of the 'T'.

Extract attached shows site in red, Nelson Road approx..in green.

The hairdressers?....go a little way along the right leg.

With regard to the Murco site.....well, I suppose it could have originally belonged to Tweeds at some time....the Tweed family had remnants all around Lexden, in fact there was one branch of them on Straight Road, right opposite the other end of Heath Road.

With regard to what was on the Murco site prior to Murco, I might be 'old', but I'm not that old!.....I can just about picture something, but I'm not sure what the picture is!

Al.

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 April 05 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Al, the map helps a great deal.

I've been digging about on seax and have found a planning app lodged by H.C. Tweed in 1912 for a workshop on Cross Road.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Cross Road is now Heath Road.   Perhaps it is possible that this refers to the corner of Church Lane and Heath Road.   Of course, it might well not!! 

What I'm wondering (if it is) is did Tweeds have their garage (perhaps a showroom) on the corner of London Road and Straight Road and a workshop on the corner of Church Lane and Heath Road.     This is pure guesswork and I may well be barking up the wrong tree - for all I know the workshop was elsewhere on Cross Road.   It could even be a different Tweed - my only knowledge of the family is that one of them bought some land off my g-grandfather. 

Again, thanks for your input.

Tony