Author Topic: Lexden photos  (Read 22776 times)

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lexden photos
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 April 05 23:55 BST (UK) »
Well, obviously nobody can see <that> far - I just thought you were psychic or something!!!!  Sorry, I just didn't think.   I've pasted the link below:

http://www.nicholaspercival.co.uk/Residential/Res%20for%20Sale/All%20Sale%20Files/R2463.htm

I reckon the cottages are the ones you mention.  No half-timber, but plenty of render.

From my reckoning the Isoms have probably lived on all those streets at some time!   On one of the old census records for Church Lane I went down the list and practically every name was a relative - several Isoms, Clarkes etc. all living next to each other.   

Can't believe you've got a Tweed in the family!  Glad you've found it - now all we need to know is which bit of land my lot sold your lot lol

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 April 05 13:32 BST (UK) »
Tony, these cottages aren't the two I was referring to....These ones are either on Church Lane just at the junction with Parsons Hill, or they are opposite that same junction....I need to see a bit more to say which.

The ones I referred to sit up higher and have a very high bank immediately behind them....it may be a single house now.

The garage on the corner of Straight Road and London Road was called Bloomans.

The garage (shed) prior to Murco was indeed Tweeds (my apologies if I threw doubt on that).

An 84 year old relative of mine knows a woman (a Tweed) that used to work there...used to ride a motorcycle.....??....at least taht is what I am told.

I will try to get further facts....maybe the lady biker has some photos?????

Al.

ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 April 05 18:19 BST (UK) »
No need for apologies - you've confirmed to me that the site of the murco garage is the right piece of land.   So, thanks for that Al.

It would great to see some photos - a lady biker with a camera would be quite useful.

Now I know that the land is the right bit of land, I am left with a whole new set of questions.   This genealogy is such fun!

I have a photo of the site, taken recently, which shows the edge of the house on Heath Road that adjoins the Murco site.   Unfortunately, the photo doesn't show anything other than the wall and roof - so I have no way of guaging the age of the property.   By my reckoning, if the murco site was my g-grandfather's orchard then his house (from my Mum's recollection) would have been where there is currently a house (i.e. facing onto Heath Road).   Is this a relative new house built on the land or is it the house my g-grandfather lived in (i.e. my grandfather's childhood home).       So many questions!   How's your memory ??

Thanks again Al - you're being a great help.

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 April 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Show me the picture (artcetera@ntlworld.com) one of my professions is architecture.

I think that at around 80 years of age she might have a hard job taking photos on a motorcycle!.....I'm relying on her memory.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline mart249

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Isom Family, Lexden
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 April 05 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

During your research into the Isom family have you come across a Jemima Isom b 1803 in Lexden?

I recently discovered she was my 3 x gt grandmother.  She was married to Thomas Abbott and they were living at Wickham Bishops, Essex in 1851

Regards
Martin
Researching: VIDLER East Sussex – ABBOTT Witham Essex - SALES Witham Essex - ISOM Lexden Essex - SNELL London – SNELLING London – BURRILL London.

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 01:45 BST (UK) »
 I have just found this board and first thing I read is a lot of messages on or about ' Tweeds ' - fingers in a lot of pies was one comment - well in 1780's by a Will they seemed to opwn half of Bradfield , Suffolk. Later generations moved to Colchester and Lexden and I am now bitten by the bugg to know who the Tweeds were that owned the garage !!.
Anyone have any Tweed memories I would love to hear from you !!.

I am interested in Tweeds,Manns and Biggs from Colchester way.

- Clif

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 June 05 22:00 BST (UK) »
Clif.......... Andrew Tweed and his parents lived on Straight Road Lexden.

His father ran Johnson's shop on London Road Lexden in the 50's / 60's

Andrew also had a cousin Nigel Tweed (at least I think he was his cousin...he might have been his brother!)

Their house was immediately opposite Heath Road (the other end to where the garage was).....if it was Tweed's garage like Tony suspects, I would guess that it could well have been part of this family that ran it.

I can only guess that  Andrew's father may have been the last person to run the garage before Murco took the site......which coincides roughly when he would have started working in the shop....I doubt if there was sufficient income from a shop wage to run a large house and bring up a family....I anticipate they were quite comfortable.

There was also another Tweed family not a few miles away at Shrub End, plus there was a fairly large family Bakery business in Colchester called Tweeds...to the best of my knowledge, Andrew's father was related.

Al.

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 June 05 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Al,
it was Herbert Charles Tweed had the garage I am told by his daughter Mary Born 1920 !!. The Tweed Bakery at Colchester was a family tradition and I have photos of the shop ( another relative had a Bakers in Edmonton ).
I know the name,  Andrew Tweed , ( if the same one  - he had a sister Helen ) but thats all. Again if the Nigal you knew, is the same,  he was a grandchild of Herbert Charles Tweed who had the garage.
I probably know a little about the Tweeds at Shrub End ?? - just need the names to identify them. Funny Shrub End crops up, I read a story about the history of Shrub End ( I think it was on the local Church website ) ...but halfwat through there was a mention of a family by the name of Slowgrove running a shop there. Way back a Tweed married a Slowgrove , so also of interest to me.

- Clif

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 June 05 23:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, absolutely spot on with Helen.

Andrew's father was John.

Nigel was an infuriating, but pleasant comedian.

Nigel and Andrew ran a car body repair business in Colchester, plus Andrew had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle.....he and I went to the same schools.

The Shrub End Tweed was another John....(I think his wife died young....possibly)

Slowgroves....crumbs!   Right again......but I can't recall which shop it was...there were three and a Post Office on Shrub End Road, and some others just off that road.

I used to work with a Jane Slowgrove.

The bakers had one shop in the High Street.....I am sure there was another, possibly East Hill.

My background is from around that area....if you need help you can PM / swap email (assuming I can help)

Al.