Author Topic: Lexden photos  (Read 22775 times)

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lexden photos
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 June 05 00:07 BST (UK) »
The daughter of Herbert Charles Tweed, Mary still lives in the area, Herbert had 13 children , so I imagine there are a few about. Mary and 5 other researchers researched a Tweed Tree for 20 + years, I have picked up the gauntlet and have been  researching for 5 years and the last 7 months trying to combine about 8 Tweed Trees into one.

I keep Mary up to date with all my stuff and just last week sent her a disk with another bunch of descendants from Colchester on, a large Mann family ...Henry Welllington Mann married in 1844 in St Leonard's , had 11 kids and one of them married Hicks who had about, rumour has it 20 kids !1.

The Jane Slowgrove I know about married a David Slowgrove - or David was her brother - I know the surname Worlock gets in there somewhere !.

My friend Vickie  has a Slowgrove Website on World Connect,  and she has about 25 years of research on / going on,  there - plus about 114 of my Tweeds. Herbert Charles is there I know.
I have not worked this one out yet but also know of a Howe / How researcher in S.A., , but not sure what area her lot came from, am sending her an em now to find out.

- Clif

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 June 05 00:33 BST (UK) »
I also knew David Mann from Manns Music Shop.
I got married (No.1) in St Leonards Church Lexden
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 June 05 19:08 BST (UK) »
HEY Al , who has just found a tweed imnn their lot - pass me details as I am doing the ' mother of all ' Tweed Trees and as its a contionuation of others work over 25 years might save you a heck of a lot of research !!

- Clif

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 17 June 05 20:08 BST (UK) »
I have just been talking to the woman who worked at the garage ...Mary Jones  ( nee Tweed ) but she says she definately did not ride a motorbike to work ! - only a bicycle ' im afraid '
She said Alan Tweed was the last one to work in the garage but could not make it work due to  people not paying their bills.

I like the mention of the big wall by St Leonard's,  as in the 1850's thats where my Manns were Baptised - evidently the wall nowadays is quite decrepid and looks positively dangerous.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 17 June 05 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hang On.............was 'Alan' Andrew's father?....I have just remembered that the 'shop owner' was John Johnson.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 June 05 23:37 BST (UK) »
If I have this right, Alan was the brother of John Johnson's wife - she was Jane Tweed , their father  being Herbert Charles Tweed.
If you are right - and I have the right John and wife - the Johnson family had kids, Adrian, Ruth, Trevor, Linda and Cheryl - but I know nothing on their birthdates , except I have that John and Janet married in 1951.

- Clif

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 18 June 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
Clif.............Actually, at present I don't have any Tweeds in my family...I was only interested because I knew their family....

However........I have just a few moments ago turned up a link to Grace Mann!

Al.

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 18 June 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
 I have not got one of those ' Grace '  yet -  I supose as with all others ' theres a lot of them about '. I do know they also lived 1800's at Hythe Quey ?? - and spread out.

Has anybody recalled the Slowgrove shop keepers names in Shrub End ??

- Clif

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 09:42 BST (UK) »
A distant relative of the Slowgroves in Shrub End thinks the shop might have been either a hairdressers or a watch repairers shop - if thats a jog to anybodys memory !

- Clif