Author Topic: Lexden photos  (Read 22798 times)

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Lexden photos
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 April 05 21:55 BST (UK) »
Tony....sorry for delay in reply....been asking questions.

My father born 1920's doesn't recall Heath Road being called Cross Road and neither does my uncle who lived in Lexden for about 70 years.

I lived on Straight Road for 12 years....(60's mainly)

On the old maps, even when the Heath was still there, it appears to be Heath Road.

Funnily enough, neither of the two junctions we are talking about are really (even at a push) crossroads.....the nearest to a crossroad is Hetah Road / Claremont Road/Avenue....even that is staggered.

Myself, my father and uncle, plus a couple of my mates can recall there being a 'garage' of a sort, on the Murco site, before Murco......it consisted of a couple of pumps and a white painted weatherboarded shed (garden shed size).....it may have been Tweeds, we don't know.

Is it really a 1912 planning application?.....sure it isn't 'by-laws'?......Does 1912 fit with your g-grandfather's age?.....surely you ain't that much youger than me, unless you moved away fairly quickly after being born our paths have probably crossed.

The garage on the corner of Straight Road certainly wasn't really a 'showroom'.....if you want to call it that.....although it had some large windows onto London Road, the premises were, to the best of our recollection. a combination of sheds in weatherboard, painted in a dirty or blackish green.....the floors were earth.

Absolutely certain it went right up to the Nelson Road boundary.

My father and I think it was Tweeds, my uncle says he thinks it was also, but two others aren't certain.....the trouble is, the Tweeds appeared to have a lot of fingers in lots of pies in the area.....If I can track down my old schoolmate Andrew Tweed, I will ask him (he should still be in Colchester).

I'll keep digging ( I have found a few postcard photos of Lexden on a website, but I won't post them here.....you have probably already found them).

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 April 05 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Al,

I really appreciate all the effort you're going to on this - at the very least, I'm gaining some really interesting background info on Lexden.   

I'm must be mistaken about Cross Road, the annoying thing is that I can't remember where I read it.   It was on something from the 19th Century, but I just can't find it.   I think your father and uncle are going to be far more accurate in this than I.   

Their recollections about a small garage on the Murco site is very promising - it does fit in with my Mum's memories. 

The planning app for Cross Roads was an actual app.    1912 is within the time of my g-grandfather - he would have been 29 at the time.   I think the whole Cross Roads thing is a bit of a red herring.

I reckon I might just be a few years adrift of you agewise (I'm 36).    I sort of "left" the area whilst still a "twinkle in the eye" of my Dad - my Mum and her parents moved to Derby in 1966 (followed by my Dad) two years before I was born lol

The Tweeds sound a bit like the Clarkes and the Beaumonts - fingers in more pies than most people have fingers.   Probably quite lucrative for them, but now a complete nightmare for us youngsters trying to follow their tracks!!!

The biggest problem with this genealogy lark is that each time you get a snippet of information it just poses more questions.   As an example, I have discovered today that my g-g-g-grandfather Edward Clarke was left a house in the will of G.H. Errington of Lexden Park when he died in 1883 (when Edward himself was an old man of 75).   An interesting enough snippet in itself, but begging the question of "where"!     Another puzzle for another day.

I've seen quite a few postcards of Lexden on the web, but none of the lower part of Church Lane.  If you ever see any of those please let me know.

Thanks again for your efforts - they are appreciated.

Tony

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 April 05 01:17 BST (UK) »
Al, just another "snippet" that is probably not that helpful but which I have just recalled.   When my Mum told me about the land sold to Tweeds, she said that it was her grandfather's orchard (part of, or all of, I don't know).   Of course, how you define orchard is relevant to whether this is any use - i.e. is it 2 manky old apple trees that nobody would ever have missed or is it 2 acres of beautiful fruiting trees ?    All we need to find is someone who went scrumping for apples one year last century and came hope disappointed lol

Tony

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 April 05 20:37 BST (UK) »
Now heres a thing.  Al, your recollection about a builder with a yard on Straight Road who was also an undertaker has found a match.   I've just found out today that Robert Beaumont (b 1850) was both a builder and an undertaker!!!!   

Thanks!

Tony

Offline MALCOLM

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Looking Forward.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 April 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony.
            I have been following this thread & looking at the info i have. I have found a few births for Beaumonts & Clarkes in the 1840's. One of them is for Sarah & Eleanor Clarke christened on 5th April 1846, mother called Sarah.The father is John & the church register says he was transported in 1839 for 7 years (dosen't say where). The girls where base born, meaning they were illegitimate. They lived in Lexden Street. If you want copies send me your email address.

Malcolm in Colchester.

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 01:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Malcolm, I've sent you a PM.

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 April 05 21:37 BST (UK) »
Honest, I'm not rude......far too much work has prevented me from a reply.

While I'm thinking of it....my Grandparents (Enfield) in Lexden were friendly with the Isom family....I can't remember much about them though....initial memory says one may have been a doctor???

Anyway....back to the garages....I seem to recall an orchard next to the properties before the Murco garage existed ie when the old garage shed was there.....however my father says there was an orchard behind the garage on London Road (which I think was Tweeds and he now thinks was Fordhams or Adams.....he is a deaf as a post and 84....you try getting info out of him!!)

I have asked several more relatives in the 70-80 age range who were all Lexden Stanway residents....conflict over garage name continues.

None of them recall Cross Road instead of Heath Road....the only two alive that would have known have both got Alzheimers (one from each side of the family...which bodes well for me!!!....What?)

However....even though they all think the Dog and Pheasant pub is / was at Mile End Colchester, I have seen reference to another one at Heath formerly Cross Road.....apparently it was known as the Diamond in later years.

The thing is I am sure I recall an old disused pub right opposite the end of Heath Road where it meets Church Lane.....maybe the info you have is correct.

I can send you a postcard of Lexden Park and the house, plus one of Lexden Street which shows the Sun Pub (where I used to get blotto on sherbets).

One thing I can tell you....there was only one pair of cottages in Church Lane until the junction with Parsons Hill.....but due to the levels ther was never very many in total.

If you want the postcards email required (but I bet you have seen them anyway)
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline j147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 April 05 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hey, no worries - work has to come first.   

I'm not sure about a doctor in the family - heck, I didn't know we had funeral directors!!!   I'm only just finding out about the Isoms - I had heard the name mentioned in the past, but didn't realise they were related until I started on this genealogy lark.   My g-g-g-g-grandmother Mary was an Isom.   Robert Beaumont (b 1849) married Mary Isom's nephew's daughter.   It gets so complicated!!!!     Whilst you worry about alzheimers, I'm busy double checking how many fingers and toes I've got........

I really appreciate the digging about that you're doing.    Looks like the orchard memory was right, but not much help.   Might of guessed that everyone had one!!

I still can't find my reference to Cross Road being Heath Road, but your info does suggest that it might be right.   This one could run and run.

I've already got the two postcards you mention, but thanks all the same.  What I need is one showing the corner of Heath Road and Church Lane - but I've not come across one yet.

Interesting about the cottages on Church Lane.  I assume the two you refer to are nos 6 & 7 (aka "Yeomans Cottages" according to the estate agent trying to sell one of them) ??

Thanks again Al.

Tony

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 April 05 23:03 BST (UK) »
Oh yeah....I can really see the estate agent's boards from Suffolk!

If they are the two I think they are, they will be right next to a flight of steps at the end of a high brick wall on the West side of Church Lane.....the steps go to an alley that leads to Thompson Avenue.....the high brick wall extended from St. Leonards Church.

The cottages used to be white render with a bit of black fake Tudor boards.

Note, I am not certain about an Isom being a doctor.....all I recall is that my grandparents knew the Isoms.....the Isoms must have lived somewhere like Collingwood / Trafalgar / Nelson / Claremont / King Coel / London Road....This is 50's / 60's.

As yet I haven't seen a photo of Heath Road / Church Lane junction.....but in having the odd dig around in your stuff guess what?....I just found I have a Tweed in my lot!

Al.