Author Topic: McCready of Barrhead/Neilston  (Read 24819 times)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McCready of Barrhead/Neilston
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 July 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there, me again - I have been over to the library today and the exhibition/display is not stored at Barrhead and  has been taken back to Giffnock, so double check with Barrhead library if you are heading over to especially to see it.

I have been through the microfiche for the Barrhead News and I am not sure if this will help any but I have noted what I could see re McCready - sometimes it is shown as McCreadie and McCready within the newspaper.

I am not sure what the(92) referred to in the first extract. I will need to go back and double check the 27 April 1917 edition at some point - the commonwealth war graves has 19 Sept 1916, I have written 16th in my notes.

Barrhead News 18 June 1915

Included in the section “The War”

“Mrs McCready, 41 Graham Street, Barrhead received official intimation on Monday that her son Pte Peter McCready (92), of the 1st A&S.H. was killed in action  in France on the 2nd June. Pte McCready was 23 years of age and had been in the regular army for about four years. He was in India when the war began and was transported to France in December. In a letter to Mrs McCready a comrade in the trenches says that Pte McCready had been on orderly duty and had taken a message to headquarters. He was on his way back and was within a few yards of the trench when he was shot by a sniper. The writer of the letter adds; - “He was always a cheery chap and will be missed by all the section who send their deepest sympathy to his friends.” Mrs McCready’s loss acquires additional sadness from the fact that another son was killed in a colliery accident in England in February. Two other brothers are also under training in the army.”

Barrhead News 19 November 1915

“Official notice has been received that Private Andrew McCreadie, 15th Divisional Cyclist Coy. has been admitted to an hospital in France suffering from a gunshot wound in the face. Pte. McCreadie resided at 133 Cross Arthurlie Street.”

Barrhead News 27 April 1917

“Private Daniel McCready

Mrs Janet McCready, Gateside, Barrhead received word some time ago that her son, Pte. Daniel McCready, Canadian Forces, was reported missing on 16th September last. This has now been followed by an official intimation that he was killed on that date. Four years ago Private McCready, who had been employed with Messers Shanks and Co Limited, left Barrhead for Canada and at the outbreak of war he joined the Canadian Force. Mrs McCreadie has another son who is at present with troops in Mesopotamia.”

Barrhead News 25 May 1917

“Private Dugald McCready

Intimation has been received of the death on 1st May of Private Dugald McCready, Seaforth Hrs. Private McCready, was a son of Mr McCready, 41 Graham Street, Barrhead. He was 22 years of age and before enlisting was employed in the Tubal Foundry. A brother was killed at the front in June 1915.”

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 July 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
I also came across this when looking for the war dead records - do not know if any relation and the fiche was quite smudged so apologies for any inconsistencies.

Barrhead News 29 May 1914

“Marriage – at 9 Dublin Street West, Toronto, Canada on the 8th May by the Rev. Alex Macgillvray,D.D. John Jones McCreadie, late of Gateside, Barrhead to Helen K Vance, late of Barrhead.”

Barrhead News 20 April 1915

“Birth – at 362 Lanedowne (or Lansdowne) Avenue, Toronto, Canada on the 6th April, the wife of John Jones McCready, a daughter.”

BHN – Edition of 16th August 1918

In Memoriam

“In loving memory of our dear mother Janet Johnston, beloved wife of William McCready, who died suddenly at 27 Barnes Street on 6th August 1913.
We do not forget her, we loved her too dearly
For her memory to fade from our lives like a dream;
Our lips need not speak when our hearts mourn sincerely,
And our thought often rest where they seldom are seen.
- Inserted by her husband and family.”

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 July 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
That's a lot of hard research there Murphy - great info  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FullMentalJaikie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 July 10 18:05 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks very much Murphy, that's brilliant. I did a bit of research and there were two Daniels born within two years of each other, and the one who was killed there seems to be the other one which is actually a bit of a relief, I can only imagine how bad it must have been for a mother and father to lose Two sons at war never mind Three.
Thanks again, it was truly a great help.

FMJ

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 July 10 18:43 BST (UK) »
I don't know if there is a site to find mining accidents in England - I didn't find a name for the brother killed in February 1915, but I will keep a look out in the Barrhead News just in case I missed it, I am not the best with fiche.

Perhaps someone will know how to find the other brother?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 July 10 19:04 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this might be connected. There is a son Robert showing in 1891:

Peter McCready 44
Mary McCready 37
Robert McCready 15
James McCready 13
Alexr McCready 9
Ellen McCready 8
John McCready 6
Agnes McCready 3
Daniel McCready 9 Months

Address: Village of Gateside, Neilston

Can't easily see a comparable site to Scottish Mining site for England. There is this possibility perhaps for Feb. 1915 as mentioned by Murphy:

www.dmm.org.uk/names/d1910-19.htm - 25 Feb 1915 STS    New Hem Heath - includes a Robert McCreadie.

All guesses without further verification.

Monica

Offline FullMentalJaikie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 July 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
Yeah, One of my relatives told me about that, it is the correct Robert. Of what I know, Him and my Gr Grandfather went down to Staffordshire for mining work, where they married Sisters, Ester and Frances Griffiths.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 July 10 19:30 BST (UK) »
That would fit with this marriage entry:

Marriages 2nd Qrt 1899

Esther Ann Griffiths/ Robert McCready - Wolstanton 6b/ 170

One other bride/groom on the page, but names fit with what you know.

Monica    

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 July 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
The other McCreadie entry for deaths alongside Robert was for a Levi McCreadie. I wonder if this is him in 1901 in Wolstanton, Staffs - all the children born in Staffordshire:

John McCready 40 b. Scotland
Esther McCready 47 b. Scotland
James McCready 21
John McCready 18
Levi McCready 16
Agnes McCready 12
Albert McCready 10
Ethel McCready 8

From deaths, there is this death showing:

Robert G McCready, 1st Qrt 1915 - age 39, in Stoke on Trent, 6b/302

Monica