Author Topic: Ferry Landing, Ovington/Ovingham-completed, thank you  (Read 14429 times)

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry Landing, Ovington/Ovingham
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 July 10 15:54 BST (UK) »
Two great sites, Michael.  Thank you.  There was even a photograph of the holiday homes, which are my particular interest.  I believe my Grandfather had a holiday home there in the 1920s or...it may have been Overdene at Ovington.  The family photographs that I have show a large area in front of the homes, which seems to me more like Overdene BUT the family always talked about Ovingham not Ovington.  I wish that I had listened more carefully-how many times do we all say that?

Very much appreciate your help.
Mr. Tibbs

Offline patren

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 July 10 16:56 BST (UK) »
As a child (a long time ago) I spent many happy holidays in my gt.aunt's bungalow at The Alders, Ovington.  We used to walk down the road towards Ovingham and turn right into what we called the "African Village", where there was a shop to buy sweets.  Looking at the photos I think this is where the holiday homes are situated.  The Alders is near Bywell Road Ends.
The cottage on the road beside the Alders field belonged to the Forster family, whose descendants still live there.
Patricia
Berwickshire-Davidson,Ross & Cromarty-
Ross, Campbell,  Northumberland-Renwick,Brittain,Dixon,Wallace, Cumberland-Renwick,Byer, Italy-Iezzi

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry Landing, Ovington/Ovingham Completed
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 August 10 08:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's the place.  I don't know if there is a shop there now but there is a different feel about the settlement.  Most of the gardens are beautiful and because there are several caravans as well as wooden homes, there is a suggestion of, I would say, a Romany atmosphere rather than African.  Lately, I have been led to believe that the employees building the Newcastle to Carlisle railway line were housed there and that a good percentage of them were Italian.  I have still to substantiate these facts.
Regards
 Pat

Offline afa1994

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 November 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
i have been going up to ferry landing cottages my whole life and yes the forster family are still there near the alders field. when i was small my brother and i used to be adventurous and we found under ground tunnels beneath one of the cabins that led around the site and up to ovingham village and an anderson shelter in the alders forest. Ive always wondered about the sites history, my uncle told me it was once called african village and there was a shop there can anyone post photos or tell me anything more about it please

andrea

Offline Tom Chapman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry Landing, Ovington/Ovingham-completed, thank you
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 May 14 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've just joined Roots and saw the Ferry Landing messages. I can add some information. The shop at the top of the bank was known as Sharpeys and run by an old lady (Mrs Sharpe ?). My grandfather (surname Stewart) had two bungalows a small wooden 2 room one right at the bottom of the bank as you turned right to take the path into the Alders woods and another much further along and 4 rows of bungalows back from the river backing onto the farmers field and next to a water tap. It was called Doreen and my father build a separate 'breakfast' hut within its area.
My Aunt (Mary Whitfield) had an old railway carriage in the row nearer the river and later changed this to a modern caravan. I spent many school holidays there including 'Blackberry week'  starting for me from 1955 and have lots of photos including of the river, the bungalows and the family.   

Offline Mal Laws

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry Landing, Ovington/Ovingham-completed, thank you
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 February 18 20:41 GMT (UK) »
hi just spotted this thread spent years as a kid at my aunts bungalow at ferry landing .loved every day up there .
that was in the mid 60's when she died the place changed hands but never forgot the happy times telling my wife about it 20 odd years ago we went up so she could have a look spotted place for sale and bought it same day never looked back still love the place great site and great friend's made the couple next door to me have had over 50 years there .
 Great to sit and chat about the place with a cold pint in the garden on a summer night