Author Topic: GOLDSWORTHY from Redruth  (Read 14572 times)

Offline Laurette

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GOLDSWORTHY from Redruth
« on: Monday 05 July 10 05:33 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate the family of my ggrandfather from Redruth, Cornwall.  Family lore has it that he and his brother James migrated to Australia during the 1850's, both miners in search of gold, and both settled in Rutherglen, Victoria.  Unfortunately I'm unable to prove they were brothers.  James married Mary SMITH in 1852 at Redruth, he went to Australia and then she followed.  They had two daughters.  I have contacted the person researching this couple, but he is only doing the wife's side at present.  He had a copy of their marriage certificate which showed  that James' parents were James and Mary GOLDSWORTHY.  I obtained a copy and they married in 1828, her surname also being GOLDSWORTHY.  James Snr ch.1795 Redruth d.1851 Redruth.  Mary c1807 d.1864 Redruth.  The children from this marriage were:  James c1828, William c1830, Elizabeth Ann c1833, John c1836 (my ggrandfather), Mary 1839, Eliza c1840, Susan c1843, Paul c1847, and Thomas c1849. 

I haven't been able to find with any certainty just when John migrated as there were a few "John Goldsworthys" on passenger lists.  I know they both lived in Rutherglen, have their Death Certificates, have copies of their Wills, but it still isn't proving anything.  I would very much like to hear from anyone who is connected with any of their siblings.

Regards.......Laurette

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GOLDSWORTHY from Redruth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurette

I found this family in 1851

Redruth
Bullen Row
Polly GOLDSORTHY head, wid 43, Supported by her sons b Redruth...must be her nickname  :)
JAMES, son 24 Copper miner b DittoWilliam , son, 22 , Ditto
Elizabeth, dau 18 at home b Ditto
JOHN son 16, copper miner, b ditto
Mary, dau, 13, lab in mine, b ditto
Eliza dau 10,  b ditto
Susan dau , 8 b ditto
Paul son 5 b Ditto
thomas son 2 b ditto

next door

Mary Ann Goldsorthy, widow, 63, quill maker, b Marazion
Emma, dau, 30, unm, quill maker b Redruth

possible passenger list
James Goldsworthy age 25 bound for Port Philip
ship: Hanover
arrived 11 sept 1853

ill look for more

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Laurette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 July 10 06:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Deb.  I actually feel that this is the family that I should be chasing, but without the certainty that John and James were brothers, I can't be 100% sure.  There is very little documentation  on John from when he arrived in Australia until his death.  I did find him on the electoral roll but nothing that I already knew.  I would dearly love to make contact with any descendants of the family you mentioned.

I might strike it lucky one day.

Thanks again.

Laurette

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 10 05:09 BST (UK) »
Did your John GOLDSWORTHY marry Catherine Arundell CAWRSE - they were having children in South Australia from 1858...  On the children's birth records he called himself John Thomas GOLDSWORTHY. 
On re-reading, probably not, but it may at least discount this John GOLDSWORTHY.  They had a child in 1856 in England before coming out - I don't know when they arrived... will be checking this at the Library on Thursday. Regards
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline Laurette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 10 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi PCB
I wish it were my family, but John actually "married" (can't find certificate) Annie Hall in Victoria and their first child was born in 1861, their second in 1863 (my grandfather).

Cheers

Laurette

Offline rawry45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurette

Seem odd to me that James Goldsworthy married Mary Ann Smith in Redruth 1852, they had 2 daughters Mary and Elizabeth both born in Beechworth.
Annie Goldsworthy nee Hall died in Rutherglen 1908 at age 72, her father was Robert Hall, mother unknown.
John Goldsworthy died in Rutherglen 1904 at age 68, father Thomas, mother.. Mary unknown
Their daughter Anne Goldsworthy died 1876 age 16, born Cornwall, father John, mother Anne Hall.
I'm researching Martin Goldsworthy of Redruth went to Brazil for few years and moved to Chiltern until 1920. On my tree that James, John and Martin were brothers but can't be too sure.

Ross
Australia - Rawson MacPherson Juggins Goldsworthy Kneebone Mayne Boyd
Sheffield - Rawson Juggins
Cornwall - Kneebone Goldsworthy Mayne
Wales - Kneebone Saunders
Luton - Juggins
Galashiels - Boyd
Scotland - MacPherson

Offline Laurette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross
In my original post I mentioned that James GOLDSWORTHY and Mary SMITH were married in Redruth in 1852.  He arrived in Victoria in 1853 and then she followed in 1856.  I had been in contact with the person researching Mary's side of the family and he found on their Marriage Certificate that James' parents were James and Mary GOLDSWORTHY.

The family that you mentioned in your post are my ggrandparents, John GOLDSWORTHY and Annie HALL.  Their daughter was Anne GOLDSWORTHY died 1876 age 16yo, born in Cornishtown, not Cornwall.  They had a son, John Goldsworthy born 1863 in Rutherglen but I've been unable to trace his birth record so far.

I imagine that our families are somehow connected probably way back.

Cheers

Laurette

Offline stewrg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laurette
I am decesdant from Mary Goldsworthy who married John Waldron from Rutherglen.
I have found an entry for Mary Goldsworthy (Nee Smith) who travelled via ship Morning Glory. I have also sighted the Parish Register for thier marriage.
Would like to keep in touch to join forces in our mutual search.
Gail

Offline Laurette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gail
So good to hear from you.  I would be delighted to have your help as I have been trying for at least 20 years to break down this brick wall.  I just know that your James and my John were brothers and to have your input will be great. 
With best wishes,
Laurette