Author Topic: Richard Sagar from Ilkley  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
Richard Sagar from Ilkley
« on: Monday 05 July 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've been doing a bit of detective work regarding an old postcard that i found while working in London about five or six years ago.
 I found it lying on the street in Brixton in south London outside a scruffy old house clearance yard, and surprisingly it is in near perfect condition, considering it's over a hundred years old, i placed it inside a book to keep it safe and to be honest i forgot all about it until recently when i found it again :D

The postcard was posted to Miss or Mrs ??? Eileen Woodcock, c/o R Sagar esq, 19 Parish Ghyll, Ilkley, Yorks., it was sent on the 18th of either June or July in 1909.
 I know Richard Sagar married Agnes Amelia Woodcock and they had a daughter named Eileen who was born around 1901.

I would love to hear from anybody who recognises these people as i think it's about time the old postcard was back where it belongs.

Regards
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Sagar from Ilkley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 July 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
Excellent sentiment Chinacharlie. I wish you the best of luck placing the postcard where it should rightfully be.

If you look on the 'Surnames' board, there are two Rootschat members who have Sagar (Yorkshire) among their interests. You could PM them to see if there's a connection.

David
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 July 10 14:09 BST (UK) »
Cheers for your reply David, i'll check the surnames board out straight away.

many Thanks

china
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
I am researching East London photographers and have a  Agnes Amelia Woodcock (born 10 January 1872 in Syston, Leicestershire) as a Photographic Artist. She is a patient at (Ivy House), 271 Mare Street, Hackney in 1891 (This property was a refuge and maternity home).

In the 1901 census, a ‘Agnes A Woodcook’ is listed as living on her own means and a visitor to Heyroyd House, Colne, Lancashire. Also present are Richard Sagar, Living on own means with his widowed mother, Mary Sagar and sisters - Mary A H Sagar, Margaret Sagar and Emily Sagar. Together with two servants.

It appears Richard Sager, a Cotton Spinner married in 1901 (in Loughborough?) and had two children. He died on 14 November 1918 in France and Flanders. His widow, Agnes Amelia Woodcook of Heyroyd, Colne, Lancashire died on 11 September 1958. Probate to her children - Richard Sagar and Mary Joyce Sagar.

There seems to be some debate as to if this all refers to the same Agnes Amelia Woodcook or if they are two different people.
Does anybody have any further information?
Any updates welcome - Bobfilm
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 19:42 BST (UK) »
Confusing but-that Richard SAGAR wasn't the one who died in the war:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k7y/
Probate:

SAGAR Richard of Heyroyd Colne...died 15 April 1954. Admin.. to Agnes Amelia SAGAR widow and Richard SAGAR engineer.

They're in Colne on the 1939 transcribed as JAGAR. Free search confirmed Agnes' dob as 10 January 1872.

Maureen

Offline bobfilm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information. Bobfilm.
Researching East London & Essex Early Photographers and Silent Film Makers and Studios in Waltham Forest.