Author Topic: Batiste - Barrow in Furness  (Read 4498 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Batiste - Barrow in Furness
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Barrow in Furness was a victorian New Town, built around the steel works and shipyard from the late 1850s onward.

Building a whole town requires a lot of tradesmen, so there would have been work for a joiner in the town as well as at Vickers. There were 32 dwellings in 1845, and a population of 47000 by 1881. Someone had to build all that accommodation. News and descriptions of the place would be widespread among the seafaring community, even in Alderney.

My ggg gf, last of a line of stonemasons, moved there from the Whitehaven area about 1860.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline redangel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 10:45 BST (UK) »
WOW!

Thank you all so much for your help.  :)
Dewey (Cambridgeshire & Barrow in Furness)
Batiste (Channel Islands & Barrow in Furness)
Greig (Aberdeenshire)
Morrison ( Banff)

Offline redangel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Sorry I forgot to say ...Daniel Batiste was born in Saint Saviours...so I will have to find out more about his family.

Thanks again
Dewey (Cambridgeshire & Barrow in Furness)
Batiste (Channel Islands & Barrow in Furness)
Greig (Aberdeenshire)
Morrison ( Banff)

Offline red warrior

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 March 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »
 RE Batiste family of Barrow in Furness, I am a relative of the Batiste family.
The first record I have of this family is  Jean Batiste,roman catholic in his reigion and of French natioality from the province of Picardy, was married to Marie Bot on the 7th of December 1743, after
having to pay for a licence and fee to the minister for the inconvenience of marrying them in the evening.Rue Pandousse village Gurnsey, Thomas b1801tailor] Mary[wife b1806] cildren,Thomas[b1827 ap tailor] Elizabeth[b1829] Daniel [b1830 my gg grandfather] Mary[b1831] John b1832]
 Charlotte[b1836] Harriete[b1837.My g grandmother was Marie [mary] b1860 d 1950] she married
John Harry Motteram b1859 d 1935 they married 1889 ,John Harry was b in walsall staffs he was a merchant sea man[ships cook] when his ship docked in Barrow he settled in the town

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 16 March 14 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Having lived five miles from Barrow all my life, I am never shocked to find request such as this,, my gran was a Colenso, her family were from Cornwall,

St Johns is a church on Barrow Island, where the ship yard was ,

Daniel Batiste married here to Jane Dewey in 1883,
Children , Thomas Andrew, 1884, Esther Ethel 1886, Harry 1888,  Daniel 1891

Margaret Batiste married here , to Thomas E Bateson, in 1883,

Mary Batiste married at St Matthew  to John H Motteram  in 1889, your line,

Rachel Batiste married at the register office or registrar attended in 1895 to Walter Wilson,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,