Author Topic: Mason 's of Dumfriesshire  (Read 2418 times)

Offline HeyCoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mason 's of Dumfriesshire
« on: Tuesday 06 July 10 06:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have been searching for a marriage for William MASON and Margaret CREGG in Dumfriesshire around 1810 - 1815, also the birth of their son Robert, according to his death record (13 Jul 1860) in Australia he was born about 1815. I believe Robert may have been a convict transported to Australia on the "Herione" in 1833, but have been unable to verify the facts so far. Can anyone tell me if more detailed records (like his age, and parents names) were ever kept on convicts records in Glasgow and how I would go about accessing them.
Would be most grateful for any assistance, thank you.
Cheryl

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Mason 's of Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

Have you checked on here www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue for a possible entry for Robert?

If you put in his name and a dates of 1828, there are a couple of entries for a Robert Mason, son of William Mason, Bellevue, Carlisle, Age: 15 in 1828.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeyCoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica, 
Thank you so much for your prompt return, 1828, looks like it could be my Robert MASON, age is right plus father's name, I will have to go to the State Archives, NSW, for copy of his certificate of Freedom to see if that will  verify even further.
Thanks again,
Cheryl. :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

This might also give further credence ~

IGI extracted

Baptism, Bromfield, Cumberland

23 May 1813 Robert s/o William Mason and Margaret

Gadget

No it won't - father is down as Joseph - why did I  read it as William   ::)  :-[
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

If you manage to verify further details over on your side that this may be the correct Robert, you can request from the National Archives of Scotland (NAS) a quote for them to send you photocopies of their documents relating to these references  :)

Monica

Added: Just checked the database for the Heroine and New South Wales, Australia Convict Ship Muster Rolls and Related Records. The Robert Mason showing there I think probably is related to the one we found on the NAS site. His conviction place shows as Glasgow, 3 (8?) January 1831 and sentence is down as seven years, matching what showed on NAS.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeyCoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Monica, I checked that one out also and it does appear to be the same Robert, so now I can either send or visit State Archives for certificate of freedom to see if that has anything more on it (could take a week or two), then as you say I can arrange for documents from (NAS).

Thanks Gadget also for trying, wish that one had paid off, this family are proving very difficult  to get info on.

Hopefully this one is mine, thanks again for your efforts, greatly appreciated.
Cheryl :)

Offline wendypackham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl
I am related to the Robert Mason you are researching and wondered if you confirmed he came to Australia on the Heroine?
I wondered whether he came on the Princess Royal? http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/709132?afterLoad=showCorrections

Wendy