Author Topic: MCOWAN Montreal  (Read 3272 times)

Offline mouse49

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MCOWAN Montreal
« on: Tuesday 06 July 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
I am posting this to the Common Room instead of Perthshire, because other areas are involved and I believe they left Perthshire and could be anywhere.

I need new eyes and ideas please. I've been working on this mother and daughter for years. I keep going over various spellings, etc. I have searched so much on SP that I'm sure I'm missing the obvious.

The mother is Helen/Hellen/Ellen McEWAN/McEWEN born in Comrie, Perthshire, Scotland. I have her on the 1841 census Hellen, aged 7. There are so many variations in other census I haven't been able to determine which one she is. Haven't been able to find a marriage or death yet either.

On 13th October 1855, in Comrie,(aged 22) she had a daughter, illegitimate, named Mary Ann McEWEN. Registered by Helen McEWEN on 27th October 1855.

In 1861 census Mary Ann appears (aged 5) with her grandparents Alexander and Christian McEWEN in Comrie. She is down as Mary Ann SHARP.
I think I have her in 1871 census. Mary Ann SHARP, 15, a servant, under nurse, born Comrie. She is at Trinity Lodge, Newhaven, Leith North, Edinburgh. (Just found this one).

On 25 December 1878, in Comrie, Mary Ann SHARP married Charles McCOWAN (coal merchant, aged 27, from Perth)
Mary Ann is aged 23, a ladies maid, from Sketon Penrith! I think this is in Cumbria, England? Had to do a Google search.

Charles' parents are Alexander McCOWAN, a weaver and Jessie McCOWAN ms KEMP.
Mary Ann's parents are down as James SHARP a farmer and Ellen SHARP ms McEWAN

I have found the couple in 1881 census, living in Perth, Scotland. Charles McCOWAN is aged 30, born Comrie and a van driver. Mary Ann is transcribed as Marian, aged 25 born in Comrie.

I haven't found them since! I have looked for deaths, parents deaths, etc.( I have just found the death in 1889, Comrie for Charles' father Alexander.) There is a death for a Mary Ann McCOWAN in Comrie in 1934 but I have downloaded the image and it appears to be Charles' sister.

It may or not be relevent, but I have found a card from Scotland, December 1911 from a Janetta SHARPE (with an 'E') wishing the family well. She may or may not be a relative.

Any help or advise will be greatly received. Sorry for the long post.

Lois

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where have they gone?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 23:13 BST (UK) »
Don't know if this could be them.

1891 Census - West Ward, Montreal Centre, Quebec, Canada

Charles McCowan     38    born Scotland
Mary McCowan          34         ditto

There are no children - Charles occupation I thought at first was Gardener (if so there were an awful lot with the same job on the same page).   It could be Gardier (or Gardien).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mouse49

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette

Thank you so much. This might be them :)

I don't know why, but I wondered if they had gone to Canada. I have searched passenger records, without luck, but I think that was from 1890 onwards. I'll have to see if there are any earlier passenger lists available.

I've now got something to work on and see where it takes me.

Thanks

Lois :)

Offline mouse49

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 July 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Annette's lead I have now found out Charles remarried in Montreal, Quebec in 1903.

Now I just need to find a passenger list between 1881 and 1890 from UK to Canada and a death in Montreal for Mary Ann. I thought a passenger list might show if Mary Ann's mother, also went with them. I have previously checked FindMyPast passenger lists without success. They only start in 1890.

Should I now transfer this to the Montreal list? If so, how do I go about it please.

Thanks

Lois

Offline mouse49

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MCOWAN Montreal
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 July 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
I have asked for this thread to be transfer here because I now know Charles and Mary McCOWAN were in Montreal in 1891 census.
Charles remarried in 1903 and have information on him for 1911 census.
Nothing yet for 1901 census.

From the 1911 census I believe Charles and Mary Ann went to Canada in 1881. They were in Scotland for the 1881 census though. Today I have spent hours looking through ships transcripts trying to find them. Hours more work to go yet :) I am particularly interested in finding the passenger information to see if Mary Ann's mother Helen McEWEN/SHARP went to Canada with them.

Also how do I go about finding a death for Mary Ann? Is there an online index I should check and would it be under her married or maiden name?

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lois :)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 10 16:21 BST (UK) »
Her death is found in the Drouin records on ancestry and indexed under Mrs. Mary Ann Sharp
Montreal Presbyterian Saint Andrews Church (Church of Scotland)
Burial - Mrs. Charles McCowan, Mary Ann Sharp, aged 38 years 11 months, wife of Charles McCowan of the City of Montreal, caretaker, died of consumption on the 7th and was buried on the 9th of September 1896.
Witnesses:  Charles McCowan and Andrew McCowan

Added:
Death for Charles
Anglican Saint Stephen Lachine Quebec
Charles McCowan, caretaker of Montreal, aged 70 died Dec 13, 1918 of heart failure and buried Jan 2, 1919.  One witness:  Charles W. McCowan

Debbie

Offline mouse49

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 July 10 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Get up this morning to find your wonderful post. Thank you so much for this information. :)

I have been searching for her for quite a few years now. She was one of my brick walls. Your time and help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Lois ;D

Offline ComrieMcC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 February 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Rather a old request, & you have probably found Charles & Mary Ann (Marion) Mccowan from Comrie - I have information on them both should you want it

Offline mouse49

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting. Yes, I am still looking for this family :)

Only last July I managed to locate where Mary Ann was buried and had tried to get a photo of the grave, without any luck.

I don't have much more information than I have already said. Would be grateful if you can help in any way.

Still cannot find anymore on her Mother Helen/Ellen McEWAN