Author Topic: Matilda Meech b 1824 Cerne Abbas  (Read 2241 times)

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matilda Meech b 1824 Cerne Abbas
« on: Wednesday 07 July 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace the later life of this person. She was baptised 9 Dec 1824 Cerne Abbas, f William Meech, m Harriett Antel, s Harriett Sarah. She married Mar 1850 Dorchester. Potential husbands from BMD were John Curme, William Dunning, Isaac Old or William Thorne.
No Matilda with any of those surnames shows up in either the 1851 or 1861 census, nor do any children show up in the Cerne Baptismal Records after 1850.
Any kind person who might suggest how I might proceed from here. My grateful thanks in advance.

Offline yonderpeasant

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • be with you in a minute
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda Meech b 1824 Cerne Abbas
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
there is a widowed Isaac Old in Cerne Abbas in 1851.
HO107/1858/735/60
mistrn as Ald
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Ridgway.  
 Salop.Lancs.Stoke on Trent.
Colclough.Ackley.Adams.Harris.James
 Longton  Stoke on trent Staffs.
Scholes.Collinge
 Middleton Lancs.
Gogerty.Deavonporte
Salop.

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, I hadn't seen that. It would make him 11 years older than her, not an impossible gap. Unfortunately the Cerne deaths for 1850 are missing. No Matilda Old or Ald shows up in BMD for 1850/51, though there is a Mary Old death Mar 1850 and a Sarah Old death Jun 1850 for Dorchester.  Its possible she was Matilda Mary, Sarah is unlikely as its the the second name of her sister.

Offline mapacaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 March 11 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Just read your query re the above.  Interestingly I have just received a copy of a marriage certificate of Isaac old who married my Sarah PEACH, ON THE 25th July, 1853, at Cerne Abbas, the certificate shows Isaac OLD as a widower, Labourer, father is shown as James OLD, Labourer, I am in the process of trying to find out who his first wife was.   If this fits in with your Matilda Meech, please let me know, kind regards, Maurice H...
HAMSON-Northants,Lancashire,ERY, PEACH-Cornwall,Dorset,Somerset,Hull
JOHNSON-ERY, DAVIS-Dorset, MAY-Cornwall, KNIGHT-Cornwall,  McDONALD-Lancashire, Hull Yorkshire,,
BENNETT-Cheshire,

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 March 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I can't be sure that Isaac was her husband, he turns up as one of four possibilities in the BMD records. No marriage records for 1850 in Cerne Abbas are on the Dorset OPC site, and no Meech or Old deaths of a grown female are listed either. There is a Mary Old age 1 listed as a burial for 1851.

My recollection is that I checked the marriages of the other three possible husbands and they exist in the later censuses, leaving Isaac as the likely husband.  But no evidence exists that I can find.

Offline mapacaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 11 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your prompt reply and comments, appreciated, kind regards, Maurice H..
HAMSON-Northants,Lancashire,ERY, PEACH-Cornwall,Dorset,Somerset,Hull
JOHNSON-ERY, DAVIS-Dorset, MAY-Cornwall, KNIGHT-Cornwall,  McDONALD-Lancashire, Hull Yorkshire,,
BENNETT-Cheshire,

Offline santapola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 March 16 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  am connected to Meech family of this area,  my info from familysearch shows that Matida married Henry Dunning 18/2/1850 at Cerne Abbas and there is a burial of Matilda Dunning at that place 8/4/1850

regards