Author Topic: COMLETED Help find his death Hugh McLean Wither/s  (Read 11642 times)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMLETED Help find his death Hugh McLean Wither/s
« on: Wednesday 07 July 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hugh McLean Wither/s born 1885 in Wigtownshire married  Tarbolton Ayrshire c 1904. I have found him arriving New York on the Cameronia 8th February 1926 .
He was " Naturalized " on 30th December 1943 aged 58  in the New York Southern District.his address is given as 107west 11th St. New York the no. of the document is 467216.
His son also Hugh McLean Wither/s born 30 May 1904 was also " Naturalized on the 11th November 1954 I believe he was born in Scotland.
I am looking for any info. on this family

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Help find his death Hugh McLean Wither/s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
SSDI Record

Name: Hugh Withers
Born: 30 May 1904
Died: Feb 1968
SSN was issued in : Pennsylvania (Before 1951)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
SSDI Record

Born: 16 Aug 1885
Died: Jun 1963
Last Residence: New Jersey
SSN was issued in: Pennsylvania (Before 1951)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 20:18 BST (UK) »
WW2 Draft

Hugh Mc Lean Withers 16 Aug 1885. Wightmonshire
107 West " Street. New York. NY
Name and address of person who will always know you:-  Margaret Withers - same address
Employer:- M & R Meehan  ???

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 July 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
I have found another son of Hugh snr. Robert Black Wither born Scotland 1906 he and his brother left there for Indiana Ernest in 1924 they were both coal miners. Can you help me find his death and if he and his brother were both married.

Thanks

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 July 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
I can see a passenger list for Robert Withers born about 1907 Scotland. Aged 17.  (Mossblown) travelling on the SS California from Glasgow to New York. He is travelling with Hugh Withers aged 19 years. Both are miners and the father is listed as Hugh Withers. 131 South Plean Cottages. Plean.  They are going to Ernest. Indiana. Both were miners and had $25.
They were going to friend John Black. Box11. Ernest. Indiana and intended to stay permanently.

I can see an Index Card for Naturalization in the name of Hugh McLean Wither Jnr born 30-5-1904 dated 8th June 1929 Detroit, District Court.

SSDI Record 

Born: 30 May 1904
Died: Feb 1968
SSN was issued in : Pennsylvania (Before 1951)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 July 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Thank you so much for your help . Is there anyway I can find Roberts death.
I am also looking for his uncle Hughs brother David who I suspect also went to America he was in Ayrshire in 1927 when he registered his fathers death then he disappears.
He was b c 1870 in Wigtownshire m Agnes Taylor 1894 Tarbolton Ayrshire he is a coalminer and in 1901 is staying with Agnes's mother in Tarbolton. They have the following family
John b c1896.
James b c 1898
Elizabeth b 1901
Twins Agnes McLean Gordon and Davinia b 1904

I also have an enquiry for David in Ayrshire

Hugh and David were two of seventeen children and David is the last one I have to find. Thank you once again for all your help

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 July 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Jval,

Not having any luck with further information on Robert.  Can't see David or family on any passenger list yet.

Have found another UK Incoming passenger Record for Hugh Withers

Name: Hugh Withers Born about: abt 1905  Age: 34
Travelling from New York to Glasgow. Scotland on SS Transylvania. The vessel calls at New York, Boston, Jamaica and Havana
Arrival Date: 5 May 1939 Hugh is under "Crew Signed On Abroad" and occupation is assistant cook.
The address he is going to is:- 109 Mossblown Rows. Ayrshire.
Country of Last Permanent residence is USA.

Also a few New York Passenger Lists

Hugh Withers. Born 1905. Age 34 years
Arrival Date: 24 Mar 1939
Travelling from - Port Au Prince, Haiti and Kingston, Jamaica and Santiago de Cuba and Havana, Cuba and Nassau, Bahamas on T.S.S Transylvania

New York Passenger List

Name: Hugh Withers. Born 1905. Age 34 years
Arrival Dates: 6 Apr 1939 and also 23 April 1939
Travelling from Hamilton, Bermuda - Arriving -  New York on T.S.S.  Transylvania

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 July 10 13:18 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks again that's the right one that is where the Withers all moved to from Wigtownshire David is elusive I spent most of my time in NRH in Edinburgh on Thursday looking for him and his father even went on SP last night found the fathers death by adding s to Wither and lo and behold David had registered the death that is how I know he was in Ayrshire in 1927 but I was hoping he might have followed his brother Hugh to America .
Not giving up hope .

Thanks for your help once again