Author Topic: Shudall Family  (Read 30922 times)

Offline Angil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shudall Family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 May 11 18:54 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother married Thomas Shudall in 1899. They lived in Cullenstown near Bannow. He was a widower with a family. He died in 1923. His father was George Shudall.  Angie

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 16 May 11 02:13 BST (UK) »
That's very interesting Angil.  The census records show Thomas in Cullenstown with wife Mary and a marriage year of around 1881 although they had no children; so a Thomas marrying in 1899 is a little too early to be a son of this Tomas and Mary and anyhow you say his father was George.  Of course if this Mary was his second wife (so your g.grandmother) that would fit, except that you say they married in 1899, not 1881.

So this leads to a few questions:  Do you know if your Thomas was connected to this Thomas+Mary at all?  Do you know the name of your g.grandmother?  Or where she was from? I presume you don't know the name of his first wife? Do you know if your TS was born in Cullenstown or moved there later?  Do you know where he died or was buried?  Any idea of brohters/sisters?  Do you know his religion?  Do you know if this George was from Cullenstown too or any further details on him?

The names Thomas and George are not very common in the Shudall lines but George is pretty strong in one of them - the Rath line so pehaps he came from there?  A number of that line moved to Dublin - does this ring a bell with you at all?

Enough questions for the moment?!!  Nice you meet you anyhow.
Eileen
T
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline Angil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 16 May 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Hatslip, Thomas was a widower when he married my great grandmother Mary Mackey. I know of two children he had with his first wife. Her name could have been Mary Murray. He had a daughter Mary born in 1885 and a son George born in1888. There were no children from his second marriage that I know of. Thomas's father was George Shudall. Thomas died in 1923 at fifty nine years old. I have been told that the Shudalls were Protestant but some of them married Catholics and were disowned. As far as I know they came from Duncormack But I think Thomas lived in Cullenstown for a long time. Hope this is useful to you. A

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 May 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
I came across the below in Brian J Cantwell's Memorials of the Dead,

The cemetery was Kilcavan.

Charles Shudall Esq.; 7/3/1798 (76)
Hanna (alias Humpries) wife;
Daughter; Hanna Gore; 17/4/1845 (79)
John Gore (hus); Duncormick, 8/12/1847 (82)
---------
Jack

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
This is very interesting A.  I have a database of about 600 Shudalls so it's always interesting trying to fit in another bit of information.
What you have just said ties into what another researcher, Brian Coughlin, said.  He also had Mary of 1885 and George of 1888 being born ot Thomas Shudall and Mary Murray.  And the census records and civil registration records link this to the Thomas who was born in 1864, which ties to the marriage record of a Thomas Shudall in 1884.

So I would suggest your next step would be to go to the GRO site and order a (photocopy) cert for either his birth (preferable) or his marriage.   The second will give his father's name (which you know) and his place of residence at the time of marriage.  The first will give his place of birth and the names of both of his parents.  Once these details are known I can see if he might fit into the lines I already know of. 

But of course I see one puzzling thing in what you have said here - how did your g.grandmother come to be a g.grandmother if she didn't have any children?  Perhaps she had children before she married this Thomas?

Where do you live?  I ask as these Shudalls were originally from London.
E.
Chapman, Jackman, Roche, Whelan, Hanton, Dee, Stafford, Leary, McGrath, Murphy, White, Hayes, Shudall.

Offline Angil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:19 BST (UK) »
The date on the 1911 census is wrong. they have Mary and Thomas down being married twenty years. they were married twelve years in 1911. I have their marriage cert. The Mary Mackey down in the 1901 census, age sixteen was my grandmother and Thomas's stepdaughter but he have her down as a boarder. I havn't done a lot of research on Shudalls as they were not blood related.  A

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hummm.  Very interesting.  Firstly, don't worry about not having done much research on the Shudalls and myself and Paul Pearce have been researching them for years and are happy to share information.  Secondly, if your g.grandmother had children by Thomas Shudall then the Shudalls are your blood relations.

As for what we know now - it seems from what you say that Thomas had 2 children (Mary and George) by his first wife Mary Murray; then at least your grandmother (Mary Mackey) by his second wife Mary Mackey.  As you have the 1899 marriage cert I guess you have details of the residences, parents and ages of the bride and groom?  If so I can try to put George into place for you.

I don't suppose you have any idea who the Hogan nephew was?
Eileen

Offline Hatslip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
I should say ... if you want to take this offline feel free to send me a PM.

Offline Angil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 May 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
I have George in the 1911 census Staying with my grandmother and her husband John Evoy In Wexford Town. I would like to find my great grandmother's death, Mary Shudall. I know she moved into Wexford town in the 1920s after Thomas died. She was living in town up to the 1930s because I found her name in my grandfather's ledger. I've looked up the Wexford deaths and some of the country areas but I can't find the date she died or where she died. I'm new to this site so I don't know how to send a PM. Angie